• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who smokes pipes?

I own a few pipes, and smoke them regularly. The post about flavored tobacco was right on, consider flavored cigars. Most flavored tobacco is made with cheaper tobacco, once the flavorings burn off all you have left is the cheap tobacco. JR has some fair prices on tobacco. Look on EBay for "estate" pipes. You can pick up some very nice handmade pipes that way for a fraction of original price. Before everyone goes " ewuuhh", after you ream out the bowl and sterilize with Ever-Clear they are as good as new.

Try the links below :
Payless Pipes

Knox Cigar

McCranies

Wow, Stewart, what a nice, generous offer! :thumbs:

Oh, and welcome to CP; looking at your interests in your profile, you're gonna feel right at home!!! :D

psyktek said:

Oh, and welcome to CP; looking at your interests in your profile, you're gonna feel right at home!!! :D
[snapback]154392[/snapback]​
Old people are soooo excitable.

NA

SamClemmons said:
psyktek said:

[snapback]154392[/snapback]​
Old people are soooo excitable.

NA
[snapback]154393[/snapback]​
It's not me, it's my new medications. :sign:

(Standard old fart disclaimer.)

Rod, a great pipe at a good price are the Boswell's. I own several of them and have never been disappointed with them.

Also check eBay for pipes. You can get some great deals on them.

Let me know what type of tobaccos you like and I'll send ya some samplers of the ones we sell at the shop I work at.

Well. . . pipes are something I know a little bit about.

Actually, I started smoking pipes about 25 years ago, and currently have about 100 different pipes. Some are VERY expensive and some are just cheap junk. I have a couple of Dunhills, Savinellis, Petersons. . . But my FAVORITE pipe (In value and smokeability) is the Cavicchi. It is an Italian made pipe that is absolutely an excellent smoke. (I own 12 of these pipes.)

My favorite pipe shop is in Birmingham Alabama and is The Briary. They have a website at thebriary.com You can look at almost every pipe they carry, and they carry ALOT of Cavicchi pipes.

Now. . .in regards to a section on the website for Pipe Smokers. . . I WOULD LOVE IT! ! ! Please do this!

Pipe smoking is what I do when I am alone. Cigars are what I do when I am with my friends, or to mark a special occasion, or to celebrate something. . .

Pipe tobacco, as was stated before, is basically divided into two catagories. . .aromatic, and English Blends. There are other things too that don't really fit into these basic catagories, but still that is basically it.

My understanding is that there are some good Cuban blends too, although I have never had the chance to try any of them.

Pipe smoking is relaxing to me. I have DOZENS of different pipe tobaccos, and often make a choice based on what my mood is, or what my taste is at the time.

Anyway, enjoy this aspect of the hobby Rod, and give some thought to a pipe section. I PERSONALLY WOULD LOVE IT!

HAPPY SMOKES! ! ! !

STEVE

I would vote for a forum on this topic as well. I haven't touched my pipes in years, but this is giving me the idea of taking 'em out and dusting them off.
But I am absolutely stunned by the prices I'm seeing!! :0 I don't have any problem with $75-85 for hand carved briar but upwards of $200??

I have a Danish free form and a Savinelli and I don't think I paid more than $30 each for 'em. Of course, that was in 1968...... :)

Steve and Shadow, you each mentioned having several different blends. Do the tins keep them fresh over time, or do you have to use something like a rubber-gasket jar or what?

How come nobody's sendin' little sammy no starter kits? I want a really expensive pipe for nothin' too! You guys ain't bullet proof... cough it up.

NA :angry:

Actually, I keep my pipe tobacco in several different containers. Some tupperware, some zip lock bags, some pipe tobacco humidors, some still in tins, etc.

Recently I opened a tupperdor of pipe tobacco, and it was extremely dry. I cut a slice off an apple (about an eighth of an apple) and put it in the dor. . . Came back in a couple of days and the tobacco was just fine and ready to smoke. Fired up a bowl and it was just fine.

Unless you are keeping something for years and years, storage is not quite as critical as it is with your cigars.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

I love this!

I finally am able to contribute something to this forum. :D

GREAT! ! !

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

I recently picked up a couple of pipes to try from Iwan Ries. Still trying to figure out loading the bowl correctly.

Makes for a nice solitary time out on the lanai with a pipe.

Something else for my Mrs. to roll her eyes at. :whistling:

Briar Harvesting

How do you tell the pipe smokers in a room?

When a guy says, 'Look at my new chubby', they actually turn around and want to look. :sign:

geldor1,

To properly load a pipe, you must look at it in "thirds".

Load the first third (bottom of the bowl) loosely. Load the next third a little firmly. And finally the list third pretty firm.

Then, light the pipe, and immeadiately "tamp" the ash. This firms things up. Then . . . relight as needed.

Finally, just sit back and relax and enjoy the bowl.

By the way, don't run out and buy a fancy tamper, if you don't have one. A golf tee works just fine.

Smoking a pipe is something that takes practice, but is definately worth the time.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Don't you have to puff quite frequently? My previous experience is it would "bite" my tongue. Time to learn to smoke a pipe the right way. :)

G1, thanks for that link, extreamly fascinating. I want to learn more, MORE I tell ya'. :D

Hey Rod, I have an idea, once you get the Pipe Room loaded, sticky this thread to the top. Some good stuff in here I would hate for it to get lost.

Recently I opened a tupperdor of pipe tobacco, and it was extremely dry. I cut a slice off an apple (about an eighth of an apple) and put it in the dor. . . Came back in a couple of days and the tobacco was just fine and ready to smoke.

Unless you are keeping something for years and years, storage is not quite as critical as it is with your cigars.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE
[snapback]154647[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Oh, yeah, I remember that trick! God, it has been a long time since I was into pipes!! :)

Ok, now that we've decided to add on to our forum, we need a name for our "Pipe Room". I kinda like, "Pipe Room", PB. We'll also need a description.

If you have a good name and desription, please post it here. Serious submissions only.

Thanks,
Rod

Pipe Dreams
"Come here to talk and learn about your oral fixation"

NA