• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who smokes this crap?

I once had a guy mock me in front of my girl for smoking a "no name" tatuaje while he was smoking a $40 JR extra Churchill... We definitely got a good laugh out of that one.

Do you blame him? Tat's aren't nearly as cool as a JR special. :p

I think it is important to remember that cigar boards only make up a vary small portion of cigar smokers. I've had some JR's that have been pretty good and order a couple of boxes from JR when I first picked up the hobby.

I have not ordered from JR, but I ordered from Famous when I first started smoking. I have since transitioned to only ordering from the wonderful vendors on this forum.

Personally, I'm a fan of the JR catalog, I also enjoy the CI catalog and the Corona cigar catalog. The Thompson and Famous catalogs blow. Never seen a Holt's catalog. Even if you never order anything from them, they make great bathroom reading.

I enjoy the Mayorga Maduro Robusto's they sell now and then. Best yard gar ever!

Somehow J&R has my address and sent me one of their catalogs. There are about a zillion cigars in there, none of which I would use for anything but kindling. There's obviously a market for it somewhere but every cigar guy I know wouldn't touch any of that stuff.

...Also excellent to use for the building of a cigar mini log cabin.

I like a well-aged Consuegra No. 9 maduro from JR.

JR is just another source. They have the usual Dominicans,
Nicaraguans and Hondurans, as well as tons of 'house blends'.

Doesn't hurt to try stuff, but there is NO WAY to try them all.
They make new cigar blends much faster than anyone can smoke.
Learn what you like, and smoke them!

I haven't had a JR catalog sent to me yet, but I did start to get Thompsons from ordering from CBid.

That's interesting considering Thompson doesn't own Cbid. I wonder if they sold your info to them, although unlikely.

Many moons ago I was at my local, buying an average/nice cigar. Standing in line behind me was a guy buying 6 or 7 of those nameless, overly large, red-pigment dyed dog rockets. I may have thought him a fool for buying those cheap cigars. Who the hell knows where they come from? I'm sure he thought me a fool for paying the same price he was paying for 5 or 6 less cigars. Different strokes for different blokes.

Many moons ago I was at my local, buying an average/nice cigar. Standing in line behind me was a guy buying 6 or 7 of those nameless, overly large, red-pigment dyed dog rockets. I may have thought him a fool for buying those cheap cigars. Who the hell knows where they come from? I'm sure he thought me a fool for paying the same price he was paying for 5 or 6 less cigars. Different strokes for different blokes.

Nicely said.

Years ago, when the embargo went into effect, Frank Llaneza and his Villazon offerings skyrocketed. Back then we were called Villazon Whores. Just like todays Pepin Whores.

Punch and Hoyo were, and still are, solid, consistent cigars. In fact, I would say Punch and Hoyo were better back then. Llaneza eventually rolled El Rey Del Mundo, and they were outstanding smokes. You want to talk about earthy with chocolate undertones! The JR Ultimate is as good as many cigars on the market, imo, and more often than not, a hell of a lot more consistent.

Padron and Fuente are definitely a cut above, but so is the price. Llaneza could roll cabbage, and make it taste good.

Today, imo, is the golden age of cigars, and I suspect there are more great cigars than ever. But, for a guy who wants everyday smokes, and maybe two or three a day, The JR sold, and even sometimes owned brands are VERY hard to beat. Granted, I love my Padron Anni and Fuente Don Carlos, more than those,but they are 2 to 3 times more the price. It is all relative.

JR carries My Father, Fuente, etc. Don't we all smoke this crap?

I haven't had a JR catalog sent to me yet, but I did start to get Thompsons from ordering from CBid.

That's interesting considering Thompson doesn't own Cbid. I wonder if they sold your info to them, although unlikely.

Come to think of it Niko, maybe a friend put me on their mailing list.

I've never ordered anything from Thompson, but started receiving their catalogs a few months back. Another vendor selling their mailing list may not be entirely out of left field.

I've never ordered anything from Thompson, but started receiving their catalogs a few months back. Another vendor selling their mailing list may not be entirely out of left field.

Same here.