• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whole House Hunidifiers

SD_Stack

Former J.R. 1am Monitor
Has anyone ever thought of using a whole house humidifier that is installed inline with the duct system of your heating A/C system? The equipment can be bought for less than $200.

I did a google search for it.

Seems like a lot less than paying thousands of dollars for a cabinet. ???

Any thoughts?

I had one in a house once, but without a hygrometer to tell what I was at. It was defiently better on the skin and with static, but would'nt work for smokes. We live at a much different humidy level than cigars. :)

Snowdust said:
I had one in a house once, but without a hygrometer to tell what I was at. It was defiently better on the skin and with static, but would'nt work for smokes. We live at a much different humidy level than cigars. :)
We like at different humidity levels than cigars? Huh?

What does that mean? It is 90% humidity here over half the year and 40% the other half. How are we living?

The humidity in Cuba and DR are perfect for cigars. You don't need humidors there I was told. Does the people there walk around in suits to protect them from the perfect atmosphere for cigars? ???

stack, while i imagine that might work in the winter when the humnidity is closer to 40%. What about when the humidity outside of the house is above 60-70%? Would it also take humidity out of the air in your house? Getting too humid would probably be my biggest concern.

You wouldn't want to be in your house at 60% - 70% RH. Humans like about half that humidity. Not to mention that it would rot all your woodwork and steam up your windows. Face it, it's time to bite the bullet and build that walk-in humi we all want. :D

mhn said:
stack, while i imagine that might work in the winter when the humnidity is closer to 40%. What about when the humidity outside of the house is above 60-70%? Would it also take humidity out of the air in your house? Getting too humid would probably be my biggest concern.
The Air Conditioner would take care of the excess humidity in the summer. The humidifier would still have to work just as hard in the summer with 90% humidity outside.

You wouldn't want to be in your house at 60% - 70% RH.

Whats more important... your cigars or yourself, wife and kids? :p

I have one. I open the windows and my RH is right about 70%. It gets a little dry during the winter since I'm at higher elevation and during the summers RH can hover in the high 80's to low 90's! Bwahahahahahahahahahaha! Sorry Bruddah Steve... couldn't resist as the weather here is like a natural humidor!

Aloha,

Wade

After many PMs back and forth with Bruddah Wade, he's quite the comedian! :sneaky:

:p

Hey SD - do a search on household energy conservation...it will tell you that it is more cost effective on your heating bill if you keep a house at 60% compared to anything lower than that.

Also, some people have more respiratory difficulties with a low household humidity.

My point - Only good things will come from a house at 65% and your body will love ya for it!

If you remember, I'm the Dork that gave you the long Climatology lesson when you asked about using a nebulizor to humidify your humi! :D

My point - I'm still a Dork!!! :sign: :sign: :sign:

I have one on my system, it gives me about 20 % increase in the winter time.
You are supposed to shut it OFF in the summer .

I have my house sealed up so tight that I have to run a dehumidifier in the winter or I get condinsation on the windows. I try to keep the house at 60% when the temp is 25 or above and 50% for 10-25 and 40% if it gets under 10. So far I'm really glad I have a decent humi.

My father-inlaw has one in his house, But for a different reason all togather...He lives in a 3,200sq ft log home and it is a must have for him. But I,m sure this would take a little strain of the old humis if I put one in. Thanks for the idea SD. For some reason this winter has been real extra hard on the humidity in my humis :angry: