• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why Am I Not Impressed With OpusX?

It's entirely possible that your palate is not used to them, and gets burned out very quickly, disallowing you to fully taste/enjoy the cigar. It does happen, but then, I know nothing of your palate's tolerance threshold.

I definitely appreciate the comments. I'll hang on to the last couple of Opus I have now for a few more months, and see what happens then. Perhaps I'll have a more "refined" palate by then!

I've had an opus and a GOF before and while being nice cigars they weren't nearly worth the hype and $$$, IMO. I still have some opus and an anejo or two in the humi but I'm not expecting to be blown away. The way I figure it, if I don't dig them that's just more money in my pocket!

Wasn't there a Hurricane down there after 2006? Could be the top-soil was affected and hasn't recovered.

And I still like Opus X more than Anejo.

The first one I had I thought was just ok. After reading all the reviews and other people talking about how good they are with age, I figured I would let them sleep for a while and try again.

Maybe in a couple months, they will go from just ok, to wonderful.

I'm all over Anejo #48 and #49's, sort of "meh" on OpusX. When I got started, I nailed down as much of the "holy grail" sticks as I could find. Didn't really blow my skirt up fresh, so I tucked many of them away. As such, I have a slug of opies, some from as far back as 2003. Ought to be about ready by now......:laugh:

Now you have me scratching my head. When I get home tonight, I'm going to grab a nicely aged Opie and see what I can see......;)

I'll add this - a buddy gifted me a box of GoF's this year and WOW are they good....just blow me away good. I was really surprised..!!

GOFs are some of my favorite high end cigars.

...................I'll add this - a buddy gifted me a box of GoF's this year and WOW are they good....just blow me away good. I was really surprised..!!

Which ones? By Carlito or by Don Carlos? I've had a few, 2 or 3 by Carlito and ~5 or so by Don Carlos. The Carlito ones are exceptional, tied with Padron 80ths as the best smoke I have ever had, where as to me the Don Carlos ones are meh. Now as far as why that is, could all be in the difference in vitolas for me.

I think the saying "smoke what you like" goes for high end cigars just as much as yard gars. Personally, I don't smoke a lot of the Cuban Cohibas. I wasn't impressed with the Maduros and I find most of the Siglo line one dimensional but enjoyable. Some think they are the be all end all. And for them they are. It is all relative. Personally, I'd consider myself lucky if I were you. That's more money saved for other cigars!

If there is one thing I have learned from these guys its if you dont like it, dont keep smoking it.

Pick up something else!

Which ones? By Carlito or by Don Carlos? I've had a few, 2 or 3 by Carlito and ~5 or so by Don Carlos. The Carlito ones are exceptional, tied with Padron 80ths as the best smoke I have ever had, where as to me the Don Carlos ones are meh. Now as far as why that is, could all be in the difference in vitolas for me.
I'm pretty sure the ones I got are the ones by Carlito, Double Corona 2007....I'll double check when I get home. I know I've been going through 'em....really something...!!

So, I've now had three different Opus X cigars, and I feel that they are very underwhelming. Over the past 2 months or so, I've noticed my tastes for anything Arturo Fuente have dwindled, but I had still held out hope for this highly touted line. Perhaps it is just Dominican tobacco that I'm not fond of?

Opus X cigars are definitely strong, and I definitely need to be sitting while I smoke it, but it seems like the flavor is very lacking. Is there something wrong with my palate? Is there anyone else who doesn't seem to be drawn to this illustrious cigar? Is there something I am missing, or not looking for when it comes to these cigars?

Thanks for any insight!

This sort of reminds me of the time I ordered a rape kit from one of those police supply magazines. I was a little confused when all it contained was some vials, swabs and plastic bags. No flex cuffs, tape, or gloves. I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes you just end up disappointed.

No worries. I'll definitely give them a shot. I do enjoy medium to full bodied cigars. I'm a Padron whore to be sure, but I'm a patient guy, so there is no reason to give up on them yet! If for no other reason, it will be one less that Mr. Peat can hoard from the rest of us!

I saw this thread yesterday and decided to look for some Opus in my coolers. I found one, a beli, and sparked it up today. Good as hell. That is all.

No worries. I'll definitely give them a shot. I do enjoy medium to full bodied cigars. I'm a Padron whore to be sure, but I'm a patient guy, so there is no reason to give up on them yet! If for no other reason, it will be one less that Mr. Peat can hoard from the rest of us!

You all can have the common stuff. I concentrate on the CFCF boxes. In fact I only have 2 different things in my humidor that is from the common line of Opus X which isn't involved with the CFCF boxes. The first is a Opus X Twin Towers A and the other is the first dress box release of the Love Affair. I've smoked up all my common Opus for a reason and never replaced them. :D

The only use the common Opus have is as a light for my opus Maduros. :cool:

Not a big Opus fan. Anejos are great, but I wouldn't say they are anything tremendous. If I'm gearing up to sit down and have my mind blown by a cigar, it's always going to be a Padron. The 44, 45 or 46 will always do the trick. The flavors are immense, the strength is full on, and the draw/burn are always perfect. No fear of a let down.

No you use the palio lighter from Beerland for that... the normal opus you throw on the bonfire.

Not a big Opus fan. Anejos are great, but I wouldn't say they are anything tremendous. If I'm gearing up to sit down and have my mind blown by a cigar, it's always going to be a Padron. The 44, 45 or 46 will always do the trick. The flavors are immense, the strength is full on, and the draw/burn are always perfect. No fear of a let down.

I've been let down several times by the high end Padrons. I've had around 5 cigars from the 1926 line that was duds. But generally they don't. Opus X has let me down more than a Padron.