• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why are my cigars tunneling?

SMOKE!

The last two cigars I have smoked out of my humidor have burned quicker on the inside than the outside. One was a Padron thousand series that had been in my humidor for a few days, the other was a cigar that had been in my humidor for at least a month. I recently started using a new passive humidification system and the humidity has been 64-68, which is a little lower than it had been, at 67-70. The Padron had burn problems the whole time and might have just been poorly rolled. The other one leveled out mostly eventually. IT just bugs me that the last two have had burn problems. Suggestions?

Cigars will dry out from the outside in, and will also humidify from the outside in. It's just like a piece of hamburger meat... ya toss it in the freezer, it'll freeze the inside last. Ya toss it on the grill, and it'll cook the inside last.

So if your cigars are tunneling, it's likely that the outside is more humid than the inside, so the outside burns slower. Either the cigars were dried out, and they are in the middle of re-humidifying, or the cigars are being over-humidified, and it's over-soaking in the moisture from the outside in.

Check to make sure the humidity level in your humidor is what it should be (65-70% depending on your preference)... and if it is, then just let them rest for a bit so they can fully soak up the moisture evenly.

It's the outside being more humid than the inside. I smoked a cigar last night in the hot tub, and the outside got quite wet from the condensation coming off the water, and at one point I had an even tunnel start. It fixed itself and wasn't a problem anymore, but it simply was because the wrapper wasn't burning as fast as everything else.

How often should I turn and rotate my cigars for proper humidification? I was told to turn each cigar evey so often and also move the ones on the bottom to the top and vice versa. Do I need to do this? I have a small humidor that holds maybe 100 cigars.

SMOKE! said:
How often should I turn and rotate my cigars for proper humidification? I was told to turn each cigar evey so often and also move the ones on the bottom to the top and vice versa. Do I need to do this? I have a small humidor that holds maybe 100 cigars.
[snapback]224813[/snapback]​

I never do it. It probably doesn't hurt, but it'd be a major pain in the ass :)

Eh, I usually just paw thru them and that's enough of a rotation for my 100ct. humi. I will only move a cigar or two around if it feels too moist/dry, will then move it closer to/away from the humidity source.

Moki - I like your hamburger meat analogy. :)

A friend said he fixes tunnelling by holding the cigar a couple inches above a flame and barely "toasts" the entire wrapper just enough to dry it out. It sounds like it would work, but would it have any negative affects? He also buys all his cigars from Thompsons so I am not sure how much of his advise I would take.

Anybody who buys all his cigars from Thompson's is automatically suspect. :laugh:

moki said:
SMOKE! said:
How often should I turn and rotate my cigars for proper humidification?  I was told to turn each cigar evey so often and also move the ones on the bottom to the top and vice versa.  Do I need to do this?  I have a small humidor that holds maybe 100 cigars.
[snapback]224813[/snapback]​

I never do it. It probably doesn't hurt, but it'd be a major pain in the ass :)
[snapback]224818[/snapback]​

Boy! Would that ever be a pain in the ass!! :laugh:

Another possible problem (that I have had, at least) is simply smoking too fast. I remember somebody telling me that when you smoke too fast the inside stays hotter and burns quicker than the outside does. I messed with my RH for a while, and simply slowing down helped more than anything else.

-K-

" A friend said he fixes tunnelling by holding the cigar a couple inches above a flame and barely "toasts" the entire wrapper just enough to dry it out."

Do not listen to the above advise, that is crazy.

Lower your humidity to 60-63. I never have tunneling problems.

Qualls07 said:
A friend said he fixes tunnelling by holding the cigar a couple inches above a flame and barely "toasts" the entire wrapper just enough to dry it out. It sounds like it would work, but would it have any negative affects? ...
[snapback]224947[/snapback]​

You might scorch the wrapper or burn a big hole in it. That would not be good. Although it might improve the flavor of a Belmondo.

I take all my cigars and freeze them, to make sure the bugs are all sleeping. Then I put them in the toaster oven at 250F for 30 minutes, so make sure they won't tunnel. Then I take a poker and stick it into the cigar, starting at the head and working it in about 4 - 5" and twirl it around to make sure it won't be plugged.

Then I throw them in the garbage, just to be sure, because smokings bad for you anyway. ;)