• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why so little smoke?

DKAudio

Reaction score
I have been smoking for a while now. I have noticed that a lot of my cigars feel plugged (like 90%). They are hard to draw and I do not get a very volumous smoke at all. Keep them proper at 70F 65RH. When I get a cigar with a lot of smoke and easy draw it is like heaven. Am I doing something wrong that I never learned?
:blush:

Salt test your hygro's, sounds like a humidity problem to me.

I am using 65% beads from heartfelt/Viper

I use them as well and have never had an issue but just in case I would salt test. Beads are great but never know, there have been reported cases where the beads become conditioned to a different RH over time. Who knows.

Odd, salt test like they said, and also, what type of cutter do you use? Maybe you aren't cutting enough of the cap off somehow? Or are you punching?

also, what type of cutter do you use? Maybe you aren't cutting enough of the cap off somehow? Or are you punching?

?????????? I don't think that is the issue here bro......... :rolleyes:

...I'd lean more towards humidifcation...

If 90% of your sticks are plugged, you have a storage problem.

Until you sort out your problem, take one of your sticks out of the humidor, dry box it for 2 days and then smoke it.

Brian

I am testing, currently my Hygro says 69% at 12 hours. In the humi my hygro was showing 60-63%

I am using a pretty cheap cutter, plastic and around $6. I cannot afford a Xikar or similar.

Maybe I should try a punch?

Temp doesn't matter much, just slows aging, correct?

Cut your stick (no, you sickos!), draw on it BEFORE lighting it...if it's still to the point that you can barely get anything out, check your humidity. If you really think it's your cutter, spring for a nicer one... A guy who owns his own line here has a NICE NICE 60 gauge cutter all metal for $14 bones.

If you want one, PM me ASAP and I'll snake you one...

One more thing (taken from http://www.cigarnexus.com):

"Cigars are hygroscopic in nature. In lay terms, this means that they will over time dry out when in a dry climate or absorb moisture in a humid one. And they will continue to do so until their own moisture content matches that of the ambient climate around them.

A damp cigar will not burn properly. Not only will it be difficult to keep lit, but also difficult to draw on. The smoke may become too dense leaving the smoker with a sour taste and a rank aroma. Also, over moist cigars will commonly split their wrappers.

A dry cigar will burn too hot. Without the proper level of moisture, the combustion temperature of your cigar will be too high and the smoke will be hot and acrid against your palate. The smoke may become overly aggressive and you will lose many of the subtle nuances of flavor that a properly humidified cigar would of given you. Also, dry cigars will lead eventually to the early evaporation of their essential oils and reduce their overall flavor and aroma."

Maybe that will help you solve some probs.... I still don't think it's your cutter.

Very interested in the cutter...

However, my pre-light draws are fairly easy and seem ok. It is after I get the stick going that it gets harder and harder.

I know this doesn't fix your long term problem, but in the short term.....do you use a draw poker of any kind to fix the ones you are smoking?

One more thing (taken from http://www.cigarnexus.com):

"Cigars are hygroscopic in nature. In lay terms, this means that they will over time dry out when in a dry climate or absorb moisture in a humid one. And they will continue to do so until their own moisture content matches that of the ambient climate around them.

A damp cigar will not burn properly. Not only will it be difficult to keep lit, but also difficult to draw on. The smoke may become too dense leaving the smoker with a sour taste and a rank aroma. Also, over moist cigars will commonly split their wrappers.

A dry cigar will burn too hot. Without the proper level of moisture, the combustion temperature of your cigar will be too high and the smoke will be hot and acrid against your palate. The smoke may become overly aggressive and you will lose many of the subtle nuances of flavor that a properly humidified cigar would of given you. Also, dry cigars will lead eventually to the early evaporation of their essential oils and reduce their overall flavor and aroma."

Maybe that will help you solve some probs.... I still don't think it's your cutter.

Doesn't my RH appear proper though?

Again, it's a short term solution to a long term issue.

But you may entertain taking a wire coat hanger....sharpen one end. If you have a plugged cigar, stick it through the cigar. It can at least help you get through a tough smoke every now and then.

There is also a commerical version, but it's basically the same thing.

Doesn't my RH appear proper though?

True true...post a pic of your humi setup or something, me needed purdy pictures cause I'm slooow...

If you want, PM me about the cutter and I'll give my you addy, send some lettuce and I'll send the cutter, or vice versa...

However, my pre-light draws are fairly easy and seem ok. It is after I get the stick going that it gets harder and harder.
That doesn't make sense. The only time I have ever had this happen is when I smoke a cigar in my garage in the pouring rain or in otherwise extremely high humidity conditions. You're in Minnesota and this is the dead of winter and so I don't think this is the mechanism at work. If you are smoking indoors, are you smoking in a room that is actively humidified? What's the RH in your smoking room? Do you blow back out through the cigar often as you smoke it?

I have had tight sticks stay tight, and loose sticks get loose on smoking. And as I described above under the right conditions, loose sticks get tight.

If you are smoking under normal conditions, your statement is on par with someone saying that when they pour milk from a milk carton, it turns green in your glass.

Wilkey

Out of curiosity, what cigars are you smoking?

If you are smoking under normal conditions, your statement is on par with someone saying that when they pour milk from a milk carton, it turns green in your glass.

Wilkey

LMAO @ Wilkey!!!

That doesn't make sense. The only time I have ever had this happen is when I smoke a cigar in my garage in the pouring rain or in otherwise extremely high humidity conditions. You're in Minnesota and this is the dead of winter and so I don't think this is the mechanism at work. If you are smoking indoors, are you smoking in a room that is actively humidified? What's the RH in your smoking room? Do you blow back out through the cigar often as you smoke it?

I have had tight sticks stay tight, and loose sticks get loose on smoking. And as I described above under the right conditions, loose sticks get tight.

Wilkey

Wilkey,

I've had the same experience as the OP...but normally it only happened with torpedoes on which I cut too little off the cap. I started clipping more off before smoking and bam, problem solved.

DK, are you smoking torpedos? or some sort of cigar with a tapered tip?