• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why so little smoke?

Out of curiosity, what cigars are you smoking?

That was my question as well. If this is happening exclusively with one brand, then that may the issue. If it is happening over several different brands, then the you've got me.

Right now I am mostly smoking cheap cigars, hand made though.

Nestors
Flor de oliva

Those boxes in their have cheaper ones in them, not what the box says. I cannot afford really good smokes. Usually when CI has their 1 day deals or similar I load up. The wine cooler does not work, I removed all the equipment (compressor, condensor, evaperator, tubing, etc).

Maybe it is my cutter, I don't know. It usually frays part of the cap/wrapper because it is a cheap one and is not as sharp as it should be.

My hygro said 60% when I put it back in, my beads are 65%. Maybe I need to spread the beads out more to get more surface area.

I don't think the cutter is to blame. The suggestions seem to be more on how they are cut. A punch will remove a smaller piece of the cap and will draw harder. Even a $1 cutter can Wilkencize (circumcize) a cap off.

Confirm your salt test. The dry boxing for a couple of days will also be a great tell. If they smoke perfect, you need to lower the humidity. If they are too dry and don't produce any smoke, they may be TOO dry, and your humidity was okay.

I'll do a blind 5er with ya for the Flor de Olivia's if you want (or buy 'em). I'll let them sit in cabinet for a while and try 'em out.

I don't think the cutter is to blame. The suggestions seem to be more on how they are cut. A punch will remove a smaller piece of the cap and will draw harder. Even a $1 cutter can Wilkencize (circumcize) a cap off.

Confirm your salt test. The dry boxing for a couple of days will also be a great tell. If they smoke perfect, you need to lower the humidity. If they are too dry and don't produce any smoke, they may be TOO dry, and your humidity was okay.

I'll do a blind 5er with ya for the Flor de Olivia's if you want (or buy 'em). I'll let them sit in cabinet for a while and try 'em out.

Thats what I keep sayin'...

The blind 5-er, what a nice guy Satch...

Thanks for the offer but what if I try and smoke one of my better cigars that I own. It may be a little while since it is 0* out and I don't smoke in my house.

or...

The Flor de Olivas are actually ones that smoke fairly well. What if I give you an assortment, you can report back to me what you find on a brand to brand basis.

Souldog, pm sent about the cutter.

Wilkey,

I've had the same experience as the OP...but normally it only happened with torpedoes on which I cut too little off the cap. I started clipping more off before smoking and bam, problem solved.

DK, are you smoking torpedos? or some sort of cigar with a tapered tip?
Thanks for the sanity check! I didn't mean to sound incredulous but his experience is confined to pretty specific circumstances one of which you reminded me. I always cut at least 3/8" and often 1/2" off a torpedo when I smoke it. Just force of habit and an intense dislike of tight draws. When the bunch at the head of the torpedo gets moist from smoking, I can see where the draw might tighten up.

DK,
Didn't mean to imply you were nuts or anything. The rest of the guys here have picked up the slack and done the good work of gathering more information for an accurate diagnosis - thanks!

Wilkey

DK,
Didn't mean to imply you were nuts or anything. The rest of the guys here have picked up the slack and done the good work of gathering more information for an accurate diagnosis - thanks!

Wilkey

You're a sweetie Wilkey....makes me warm inside!

DK,
no problem, I understand. I would assume RH right away as well but I monitor mine pretty carefully. That is why I have been torn over this for a while, finally decided to post about it. I am kind of thinking it is just my super cheap smokes, many apprentice rolled I presume.

I got a chance to smoke a Consuegra #30 (yes, one of my better cigars :rolleyes: ) tonight. It was pretty good, consistant all the way through, draw was consistant, fair amounts of smoke, etc.

I guess it was just the super cheap smokes that I have...damn

What about Trinidad y cia? I heard those are very good for the money. I like mild sticks, lots of smoke, creamy characteristics.

Thanks

I got a chance to smoke a Consuegra #30 (yes, one of my better cigars :rolleyes: ) tonight. It was pretty good, consistant all the way through, draw was consistant, fair amounts of smoke, etc.

I guess it was just the super cheap smokes that I have...damn

What about Trinidad y cia? I heard those are very good for the money. I like mild sticks, lots of smoke, creamy characteristics.

Thanks

There ya go, spend an extra buck or two and you'll be a-okay!

Also, negative on that PM for the cutter, never received it, if you're still interested.