• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why Some Cigars Make One Sick

JWJ

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I smoke about 3-5 cigars a week. Yesterday I was enjoying a tasty, creamy, and mild non-ISOM afternoon smoke, a “…….” churchhill until I became sick (I will protect the name for now—you know, innocent until proven guilty). I was about ¾ done and began to feel a bit nauseous and dizzy. I immediately stopped smoking it (by the way, I do not inhale), as I knew this feeling from past experiences, especially with some ISOM’s. This feeling became worse with time (felt like motion sickness) and I needed to take a nap before I felt better.

Does anyone know why some cigars make one sick? I was told in the past this could be due to improperly aged tobacco. I was even told that sometimes it is just our body at a certain time of the day not being able to handle the tar etc.. from a cigar.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

See this Thread

Here is a past of my response there.... it's a possibility.

I have a slightly different possibility....

When I first started smoking I had a similar problem and a friend cautioned me to spit now and again. What was happening was that I (like some people) was a heavy salivator and holdin the smoke or just holding teh cigar in my mouth (even without puffing) was causing me so salivate reflexively. Then, wihtout even realising it I was swallowing the saliva.

For anybody that dips (or knows dippers) you know what tends to happen to dippers that swallow the saliva while dipping. The saliva picks up the nicotine and concentrates it and the stomach can't handle it, so you get sick. Since I started spiiting if/when I notice salivation occuring I have not been sick once - no mater the cigar strength or recency of food ingestion.

For me, at least, this was the problem and how I solved it. If you pay attention the next time you try a cigar you should notice whether this applies to you or not. It's also important to note that (for me at least) cigars that draw greater volumns of smoke cause greater salivation.

Was that 'gar a smoker??

I usually spit whenever I smoke. My saliva goes wild whenever I puff on a cigar. I don't really wanna swallow all that saliva so I just spit it out.

Thanks. I read the threads. I think I will buy the saliva theory. All the times I got sick, including yesterday, was not on an empty stomach, so I must rule out the empty stomach theory. Moreover, yesterday and some past times I was enjoying a mild smoke, so I must rule out the strong fuller theory.

There is one more piece that I over looked. Yesterday I did not have beer with my cigar. As a matter of fact, I don’t recall every getting sick when sipping beer… yes even on an empty stomach. Maybe the alcohol sooths and appeases the nicotine and tar? Oh well I guess I now have an excuse to drink :D

cvmfour said:
I usually spit whenever I smoke. My saliva goes wild whenever I puff on a cigar. I don't really wanna swallow all that saliva so I just spit it out.
x2

Also, I still subscribe to the empty stomach theory.

Cheers,
Dixie

About 10 years ago i was in my buddies office and noticed that he had a half full box of R&J petite machine mades (havana) that he said he had bought in tijuana. i should have known better...not only was i VIOLENTLY ill, but i passed out in the bathroom at work and they had to call the paramedics.

when i told the guy in the emergency room, he said that i was probably a victim of paraquat poisoning...remember that stuff???? they said that it is what the contras used to spray the potfields with!!! well i suspect that this could be a problem with alot of tobacco, since they sometimes use pretty nasty pestesides...

sucks huh? ???

barney

I swear it has something to do w/ certain batches of tobacco too.

The infamous vitamin vomitting occurence caused by an JdN Antano Robusto was also experienced by a friend of mine who bought one from the same box at the same time as me. I'm convinced there was something funky in that tobacco.

Tony Bones said:

The infamous vitamin vomitting occurence caused by an JdN Antano Robusto was also experienced by a friend of mine who bought one from the same box at the same time as me. I'm convinced there was something funky in that tobacco.
I don't know. I think's its been pretty well established the JdN's are A$$ kickers anyway.

Cheers,
Dixie

I've always heard that every box has 2 or 3 bad sticks in it. what that means, i don't know. if bad means making you sick or if bad just means the cigar band is on crooked. i also think dehydration has a little to do with it. you mentioned that you wasn't drinking anything that night. dehydration is basically what causes a drinker to have hangovers...a lack of water. i think somehow the same holds true when smoking. also sipping on a drink will negate the saliva build up.

im no expert on the matter, but i did stay at a holiday inn express the other day

Agree on both the saliva issue and the empty stomach. I have a tendency to spit when I smoke too, and I never have a cigar on an empty stomach.
Bryan :thumbs:

Tony Bones said:

Remember that I got sick too. I doubt our cigars bought at different times 3000 miles apart were from the same batch.

I've had wiser minds(mainly randyb1 & gibu) tell me that it's good to drink pop while you smoke. Something about the sugar helping your stomach out and that kind of thing. I too, spit with great frequency on some cigars than others. I had two really bad episodes(Onyx Reserve was the one that realy had me wishing for the angel of death himself.) I can't prove it, but I think that breathing in smoke has something to do with it as well. If you're in a room with other people who are just making the place look like a cheech and chong movie, then some fresh air is definitely needed. Solutions? Everyone else has posted great ideas. I've heard that the CAO Gold is a good "step-up" cigar when one is ready for that.

P.S.-Don't get cigars from gibu, he taints them and thinks its hilarious when people are emptying the content of their stomachs in his yard. The man is a true weasal. But ask him about his kooky contrails theory. :) :D :D

SFG75 said:
I can't prove it, but I think that breathing in smoke has something to do with it as well. If you're in a room with other people who are just making the place look like a cheech and chong movie, then some fresh air is definitely needed. Solutions?...
That's why I always try to smoke outside. I love smoking me a cigar but don't love it being in my lungs.

Good points. I always try to smoke outside, though winters in Wisconsin make it tough at times. I can honestly say that if I smoked inside a room with other smokers I would get sick often (I often get sick if I am in a room with cigarette smokers). I think tainted cigars may also be valid point. As far as the sugar theory goes I think this may also play a role. After all, beer contains alcohol and some carbs-- forms of sugars.

I don't think the dehydration theory applies to my case as yesterday I had comsumed (through out the day) a gallon of water prior to smoking (it is my custom daily to hydrate for good health reasons). Again, my stomach was fairly full and I was drinking a diet Dr. Pepper. Maybe I should switch to a regular Dr. Pepper

I will try to spit next time. However, if I had to spit frequently I think I would not enjoy the smoking pleasure as much.

Jim

i'll ditto the spitting comments. Some tobacco makes me salivate much more than others. But as long as i spit, I'm fine. I find it a pain in the ass though, cause I don't want to use a spit cup, and I'm usually too lazy to get up.

I'm curious as to what folks do in cigar bar-type establishments.

Oh, and i love diet dr. pepper. my all time fave cigar accompaniment.

I've read that "green" tobacco, or tobacco that is too young will make you quesy, no matter how seasoned a smoker you are.