• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why Spanish Cedar?

DuBose45

First thanks to all the members that make this site such an excellent source of information.

I was wonder why do humidors have to be made of Spanish Cedar. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have Cedar everywhere so what is it that makes Spanish Cedar that much better? Does it help regulate the humidity that much better? I am a newbie so I hope this question is not too ignorant.

Spanish cedar isn't actually cedar. It's in the mahogany family. Regular cedar is far too aromatic and would impart too much of a taste in your cigars.

You don't have to have it. My coolidor doesn't have any cedar and my cigars smoke just fine. It is an absorbent wood and looks and smells nice, but it isn't something that is required.

I've heard that basque cedar is just as good as spanish cedar when it comes to governing humidity.

Check some of the antique humidors. They used a variety of woods before everyone started using cedrela odorata(Spanish Cedar). It smells a bit like cedar but, as has been said, is in the mahogany family. Many humidors were made with mahogany.

But most of my cigars are in my coolerdor in their original boxes, with few exceptions.

This has been discussed before, noob... clicky

Spanish cedar doesn't reek like cedar, but just enough. :thumbs:

Thanks for the great input here gents. I was considering making my own humidor just for fun with some none aromatic cedar that we have here in the area but I think instead I will just buy a good quality Humidor for now. I have been keeping my cigars in a zip lock bag but they are just getting to moist and are taking on a funny taste.

Really, think about it. If you used ebony, your cigars would turn black, if you used purple heart, yep, purple cigars. Cedar looks like the leaf, so they left well enough alone.

Steve Saka - The Ultimate Cigar Storage Manifesto said:
[size="-1"]Spanish cedar liner is a big plus. It serves three functions:[/size]

[size="-1"]First it acts as an additional buffering agent since the wood is absorbent and regulates at 60%-70% along with your cigars.[/size]

[size="-1"]Secondly, it helps to discourage beetle infestations from moving around from cigar to cigar. Beetles and other pests dislike the bitter flavor of Spanish Cedar.[/size]

[size="-1"]And finally, it imparts a slightly spicy flavor to your cigars as they age. This taste is appreciated by most smokers.[/size]

[size="-1"]If you do not like this flavor note do not hesitate to not have a Spanish Cedar lining - it is not essential. However, western cedar, red cedar, and/or aromatic cedar are NOT suitable substitutes for Spanish cedar. These woods will ruin the flavor of your cigars.[/size]