• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why the hell am I not tasting right!?!?!

slevy007

The Broke Smoker & 2006 Ash Standing Champion!
I have problem lately... the cigars which I love so much are just not tasting the same to me. I have been smoking a lot of Don Pepin's stuff (DP Label, all labels of Tat's) and I love them. But for last few months, I have been noticing that these smokes, and the other smokes which often enjoy just seem different. At first I though it had to do with a cold I caught a few weeks ago, but that has gone away. I don't think my tastes are changing because I smoke a reasonable variety of stuff. It just seems that cigars are not lighting up that middle to rear area of the tongue... it's weird. I'm having trouble picking up different flavors like black cherry, nutty-ness, etc. I'm just getting frustrated because cigars are just not being as enjoyable lately as a result of the taste factor.
Is my palate shot? My nose feels a little dry... am I not smelling things correctly? Just pisses me off when I smoke a Tatuaje Havana VI churchill, and the flavor is barely punching through (with the white label p4 being flat as hell). I have no idea what it could be. Any of you out there had this problem before? Anyone know how to fix this problem? Should I be trying to shock my palate with LFD Double ligeros, or in the opposite spectrum... ACIDs and other flavored smokes?

Steve

I have problem lately... the cigars which I love so much are just not tasting the same to me. I have been smoking a lot of Don Pepin's stuff (DP Label, all labels of Tat's) and I love them. But for last few months, I have been noticing that these smokes, and the other smokes which often enjoy just seem different. At first I though it had to do with a cold I caught a few weeks ago, but that has gone away. I don't think my tastes are changing because I smoke a reasonable variety of stuff. It just seems that cigars are not lighting up that middle to rear area of the tongue... it's weird. I'm having trouble picking up different flavors like black cherry, nutty-ness, etc. I'm just getting frustrated because cigars are just not being as enjoyable lately as a result of the taste factor.
Is my palate shot? My nose feels a little dry... am I not smelling things correctly? Just pisses me off when I smoke a Tatuaje Havana VI churchill, and the flavor is barely punching through (with the white label p4 being flat as hell). I have no idea what it could be. Any of you out there had this problem before? Anyone know how to fix this problem? Should I be trying to shock my palate with LFD Double ligeros, or in the opposite spectrum... ACIDs and other flavored smokes?

Steve

Dude, you really didn't just say that... :sign:

Funny, I had been smoking the same kind of cigar fo a while...and it started to not taste right. I stopped smoking that 'type' and went to a differnt flavor profile for a while. Well, I had 'that' smoke again last night...boy it tasted great.

I would suggest not a shock but a different profile. I went from an earthy peppery profile to a floral blend. Oh - the smokes were still both strong in the nicotine content so, I don't believe that's the issue.

Have you every thought about just smoking thru your nose? :laugh:

Same thing has happened to me too Steve. As Gary said, take a break from them for a while, smoke different cigars then go back to your old favorites and my guess is you will find the results to be what Gary said. :thumbs:

Should I be trying to shock my palate with LFD Double ligeros, or in the opposite spectrum... ACIDs and other flavored smokes?

for giggles you should shock it with ACIDs and other flavored, but that may just destroy your palate with sugar overdose! :laugh: did you take some of the nose swab stuff for your cold? thats been known to cause distortion in taste and smell receptors due to the zinc compound in the medicine?

Welcome to my world. I very seldom taste or smell due to some nasty chemicals that was used in a Cytopathology lab. I'd recommend either taking a break or try some stronger smokes like LFD DL or JdN Antano's and see if this helps a little. Hell you could try a couple of Power Rangers back to back. That may due the trick or in fact, you are not over your cold as you thought you maybe.

Been there bro, don't panic, hehe.

I had to take about 5 days off, and then after that I started back up with an Anejo 50. All was good again. I think I had just overloaded my palate.

This topic has been mentioned several times. Use the search function :thumbs:
When you do your search...there was one thread specifically that was pretty informative about palates. Although the topic was spelled "pallette"

If you find that thread, it may shed some light on your problem.
Best of luck :)

Edit to add: Here's the LINK.

Steve

You're not using your nose again, are you ??

You're done. Send me your cigars.

:D

Wilkey

Ginseng is right. You have contracted this rare you-need-to-send-all-your-cigars-to-other-guys syndrome. The only cure is to pass your good smokes along. :rolleyes: :whistling:

...At first I though it had to do with a cold I caught a few weeks ago, but that has gone away...My nose feels a little dry...I have no idea what it could be. Any of you out there had this problem before? Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Steve
Perhaps it's allergies. Now, before you dismiss the possiblitiy, go see your doctor...

I never had any allergies until moving here to Central Texas 10 or 12 years ago. They came on gradually (over 3 or 4 seasons), but man I've got 'em now. Currently I'm getting shots, taking pills, eyedrops, and nasal spray - all presecription. My allergy symptoms are pretty much kept under control, but I have definately lost some taste and smell. Even with all the medication (and nearly everyone here in Austin is on it), it's a struggle for a few months out of the year.

When the pollen or molds or whatever it is subsides, I'll get off the meds and my tastes will return to normal. They allways do. There are no lasting effects. For right now though, I can still taste/smell something distinct, like a Cameroon; but anything with more subtle/mild flavors are kind of pointless (i.e. Connecticut Shade wrappers, etc.).

Talk to your doc, and good luck.

Take up pipe smoking. That will open a whole other world to ya. Its also cheaper... and you can get a few months of age on yer smokes....

Shane

When you do your search...there was one thread specifically that was pretty informative about palates. Although the topic was spelled "pallette"

Thanks for pointing this out BD, yet another reason that people should SPELL things properly.

Thanks for pointing this out BD, yet another reason that people should SPELL things properly.

Thanks BD - give Bill more ammo...thats al we neeed!

Same thing has happened to me too Steve. As Gary said, take a break from them for a while, smoke different cigars then go back to your old favorites and my guess is you will find the results to be what Gary said. :thumbs:

Have you been smoking more than usual? That could cause the loss in flavor.

Been there bro, don't panic, hehe.

I had to take about 5 days off, and then after that I started back up with an Anejo 50. All was good again. I think I had just overloaded my palate.
What they said. I've occasionally had to take a week or two off. Just to be sure though...send me your cigars.

Wilkey

What they said. I've occasionally had to take a week or two off. Just to be sure though...send me your cigars.

This is actually very good advice. The symptoms you are experiencing are characteristic of ennui brought on by having too many cigars at your disposal. If you gifted away approximately 2/3 of your stash, you'd value the remaining cigars more. Consequently, they'd "taste better".

This is actually very good advice. The symptoms you are experiencing are characteristic of ennui brought on by having too many cigars at your disposal. If you gifted away approximately 2/3 of your stash, you'd value the remaining cigars more. Consequently, they'd "taste better".
Elliot,

You are simply too erudite!

Wilkey