• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Windows Vista

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton
Hey BOTL/SOTL's I'm having a bit of an issue and I'm looking for some assistance. My girlfriend just sent me her piece of sh*t Acer Aspire One that I rebuilt when I was back for spring break, unfortunately the only OS I had on had in Vegas was Windows Vista Home Premium (Better than the Ubuntu it had). I loaded up the external hard drive and transferred the data back onto the computer and gave it back to her. She was happy as a fat kid in a candy store :laugh: Well I received it yesterday and her self proclaimed "computer guru" little brother played with her system32's or i386 files from what I've gathered and the OS of course fails to start. The vista disk I have is a little beat up and doesn't read properly in my drive, would anyone happen to have a Windows Vista 32-Bit (Any version is fine) disk laying around that I could borrow for a couple of days? I'm willing to pay S&H and trade sticks for use of your disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I can get her to stop barking at me and get this ugly little poor excuse for a computer out of my dorm. :thumbs: :laugh:

Thanks a million,
WKOTI

The best fix for Vista is Windows 7.

You're in a dorm at a school and can't find a disk...........you don't have any friends right ???

Hey BOTL/SOTL's I'm having a bit of an issue and I'm looking for some assistance. My girlfriend just sent me her piece of sh*t Acer Aspire One that I rebuilt when I was back for spring break, unfortunately the only OS I had on had in Vegas was Windows Vista Home Premium (Better than the Ubuntu it had). I loaded up the external hard drive and transferred the data back onto the computer and gave it back to her. She was happy as a fat kid in a candy store :laugh: Well I received it yesterday and her self proclaimed "computer guru" little brother played with her system32's or i386 files from what I've gathered and the OS of course fails to start. The vista disk I have is a little beat up and doesn't read properly in my drive, would anyone happen to have a Windows Vista 32-Bit (Any version is fine) disk laying around that I could borrow for a couple of days? I'm willing to pay S&H and trade sticks for use of your disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I can get her to stop barking at me and get this ugly little poor excuse for a computer out of my dorm. :thumbs: :laugh:

Thanks a million,
WKOTI

I believe I do I will check when I get home.

You're in a dorm at a school and can't find a disk...........you don't have any friends right ???

He spends his spare time in a dark corner with his robe and wizard hat playing world of warcraft :laugh:

I have a spare copy you can have. PM me your address and Ill put it in the mail today.

My brother goes to college at University at Buffalo. They gave him 3 copies of Windows 7 that he could download and install from their student access site. You might want to look to see if your college offers the same thing. Good luck I hate Vista (I don't know anyone who doesn't.)

If you're living in a dorm, you're a student, right? Last time I checked, the "academic discount" price for a legal copy of Windows 7 was about $30.00. Do yourself a favor and pick that up.

Pick me up a few dozen at that price, while you're at it.....:p

I completely agree with the Windows 7 fix, but I only have 64-Bit versions. No I have plenty of friends down here, but they all have netbooks with preinstalled backups. The other disks I have are all 64-Bit, because I never needed or wanted 32-Bits for my super computers back home. So I was SOL with calling around yesterday trying to find a disk, but thanks AVB for the warm thoughts :laugh:

I believe I do I will check when I get home.

Thank brother!!!

He spends his spare time in a dark corner with his robe and wizard hat playing world of warcraft :laugh:

No we get dressed up and grab chairs, a tv dinner table, we bring it all in the elevator and play until security gets called! :thumbs:

I have a spare copy you can have. PM me your address and Ill put it in the mail today.

PM Sent, thanks

My brother goes to college at University at Buffalo. They gave him 3 copies of Windows 7 that he could download and install from their student access site. You might want to look to see if your college offers the same thing. Good luck I hate Vista (I don't know anyone who doesn't.)

I think I would take Windows ME over Vista anyday :laugh: I went down to the student support and unfortunately we aren't as cool and U of Buffalo, but thanks for the heads up!

I'll check and see what discount I get, because I know we get discounts on Wireless Carries and certain other places. If I get a discount that's decent I will let you all know and maybe pick a few copies :thumbs:

I'll check and see what discount I get, because I know we get discounts on Wireless Carries and certain other places. If I get a discount that's decent I will let you all know and maybe pick a few copies :thumbs:
I was being a smart ass; since I'm not a student, it would be illegal for me to use academic copies. My only gripe is the price delta between what you'll pay and what I'll pay. I buy mine legally.....it's less hassle and cheaper, in the long term....:cool:

I do appreciate the offer, though - B.B.S.

I figured at much BBS, but then again I will probably just roll down to Best Buy give them my student card and get my discounts. Nothing morally wrong to me, we both know it takes pennies to make a disk and it's pretty little box it goes in and then they charge me one price and you another. Granted I being royally broke need a little bit of help financially being a college kid, but do the really need to gouge your eyes and skull f*ck you, because you aren't considered "special" enough to get discounts? Just my .02 on it, but if in need I'll help any one of fine people if I can, I know I can't give much back, but what I can give you are free to use.

WKOTI

I got this shipped out to you this morning via Canada Post Priority. They said should take about 4-5 days to get to you.

Oh my god, this cracked me up Ray. Who needs friends when you're the Wizard King?!?! :laugh:

In my opinion, it's the sweet tattoo that scares them all off.

you can try this also if its a laptop or not use 1 if it is a PC

1. Plug in the AC adapter and battery.
2. Turn the system on
3. Immediately, press ALT on the keyboard and start tapping F10.
Continue holding ALT and tapping F10 as the unit boots up.
4. A screen stating "Starting Acer Erecovery" should appear.
(Release ALT and stop tapping F10 at this point)
5. Choose Restore System Factory Default
1. Restore system to factory default
2. Exit
Restore system to factory default
1. Enter the password created when eRecovery was first started.
2. Read the on-screen warning and choose Yes.
3. Click Next. The recovery process will start.
When recovery is complete the system will re-start and will need to complete the setup of Windows.
When setup is complete a process will clean up the recovery files.
Please be patient as this process can take 5-10 minutes or longer

Hey wait just go to the Computer lab they should be able to help you since your on campus

Oh my god, this cracked me up Ray. Who needs friends when you're the Wizard King?!?! :laugh:

In my opinion, it's the sweet tattoo that scares them all off.

Who needs enemies when you have friends like these??? :angry: I'm just playing, you guys rock. I'll take my innocent licks, but you all should know me being a Wizard I could curse you all!!! :laugh:

Hey wait just go to the Computer lab they should be able to help you since your on campus

We aren't that fancy unfortunately, it would be nice though!!! :laugh: I forgot the hot keys for the Acer Recovery, so thank you very much for help, I'm giving it a try as we speak. I have a bad feeling it won't do much though :(

Everyone who posted help or sent me pms I would like to thank you all, especially Bitaemo, BArias4641, b.dawson and RichYhlen. You guys are saviors!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

WKOTI

Vista SP2 isn't all that bad... but before you install it, check out the student deal for windows 7 (check the laptop manufacture's website to see if you can get drivers first though) it is heads and shoulders above Vista in terms of usability.

3. Immediately, press ALT on the keyboard and start tapping F10.
Continue holding ALT and tapping F10 as the unit boots up.
4. A screen stating "Starting Acer Erecovery" should appear.
(Release ALT and stop tapping F10 at this point)
5. Choose Restore System Factory Default

Acers are a great laptop. I have recommended them to many clients. The only issue I have with the Acer Recovery Rich, is that it totally recovers to a point similar to the fresh outta the box laptop. My problem with that is that your data is now POOF...gone.

A better solution, well maybe not better but one you should attempt previous to the Recovery steps, would be to grab one of the OS disks and boot to it. After you boot to it choose the Repair option and see if Vista can fix itself....ahahahahha/....Actually see if Vista can repai its own OS, as we all know that Vista fixing itself is nearly impossible.

And yes, the ultimate cure for the Vista problems is Win7, I totally agree.
Let me know if you still need a copy of Vista.

Art