• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine Cooler

Nothing wrong with a compressor based wine cooler. If set up properly it will last a hell of a lot longer than the thermo electronic variant. Don't be scared of compressors dude.

I had a compressor type and it was rock solid.  Any condensation/run off, would just make it's way to my beads.  I'd ensure they weren't too saturated, but I never had any issues with it.

whylieineedacigar said:

I found some on ebay that are thermoelectric they just don't tell you the brand.
So I guess the decision is 2 mystery brand coolers or 1 name brand
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320787239739

Is your mind set on getting a single large one? Or you wouldn't mind having this type of setup:
IMG_20140810_135336_zpsltgf6lq8.jpg

These are mines, 2 NewAir AW-281E. This is an old picture but right now I actually have 3rd one on top. I think it's cool to have them like this because you can have different temperatures and humidity in each of them.

Great minds think alike!!!
That's exactly what I finally decided to do.
Just need to wait till I get this check from B&H (selling a couple of old cameras & lenses I'm  not using)

bfreebern, on 15 Jan 2015 - 2:15 PM, said:
Nothing wrong with a compressor based wine cooler. If set up properly it will last a hell of a lot longer than the thermo electronic variant. Don't be scared of compressors dude.

bfreebern said:
I had a compressor type and it was rock solid.  Any condensation/run off, would just make it's way to my beads.  I'd ensure they weren't too saturated, but I never had any issues with it.

Thanks for the info.
Everybody seems to talk about compressor-based coolers like they're the anti-christ.
Nice to know I do have that option.

What would I need to do differently if I got a compressor-based cooler?

What would be better for humidification in a thermoelectric cooler?
Beads or active humidification (Humi-Care XG1000 Pro) + fans

Also if I got a compressor unit would adding cedar shelves and active humidification help with the humidity swings?

And lastly The compressor-cooled unit I'm looking at has digital temperature controls (It's dual zone) so would I still need to wire in a different thermostat??

diapanos said:

Also if I got a compressor unit would adding cedar shelves and active humidification help with the humidity swings?

And lastly The compressor-cooled unit I'm looking at has digital temperature controls (It's dual zone) so would I still need to wire in a different thermostat??
The proven method for cigar storage in a compressor based wine cooler is to use a external temp control. There's a few reasons for this. 1st is they're much more accurate. 2nd you can set a temp of 70deg with an external temp control, you can't go that high with most if not all built ins. 3rd a good about of built in temp controls reset to 55deg if power is lost, not so with an external.

You don't have to splice wires at all. Buy a Johnson Controls 419 or a El-cheap O' STC-1000. plug the temp controller into the wall and then plug the wine cooler into the temp controller. EASY PEESY! With the STC-1000 you'll need to build it (takes 10 min and under 30.00) or wire in the controller directly. 

EDIT: wanted to add that I have both, A Johnson Controls 419 and a built STC-1000. I use my Johnson Control on my kegerator so I can more accurately control my beer serving temps. I have a more advanced BUILT STC-1000 controlling the temps in my fermentation chamber (heat and cooling).  

Backslide said:

The proven method for cigar storage in a compressor based wine cooler is to use a external temp control. There's a few reasons for this. 1st is they're much more accurate. 2nd you can set a temp of 70deg with an external temp control, you can't go that high with most if not all built ins. 3rd a good about of built in temp controls reset to 55deg if power is lost, not so with an external.

You don't have to splice wires at all. Buy a Johnson Controls 419 or a El-cheap O' STC-1000. plug the temp controller into the wall and then plug the wine cooler into the temp controller. EASY PEESY! With the STC-1000 you'll need to build it (takes 10 min and under 30.00) or wire in the controller directly. 

EDIT: wanted to add that I have both, A Johnson Controls 419 and a built STC-1000. I use my Johnson Control on my kegerator so I can more accurately control my beer serving temps. I have a more advanced BUILT STC-1000 controlling the temps in my fermentation chamber (heat and cooling).  

Thanks for the info.
That helps a lot.

Just ordered the NewAir AWC-330E
61mzMjg9irL.jpg

I will also be ordering the Johnson Control thermostat next week.

From what I read on another forum adding cedar shelves will help stabilize the humidity.
I'm pretty sure the two shelves from my foot locker humidor will fil so I'll be putting those two in there and I'll order a few more for the other shelves if needed.
Leaning towards active humidification with three fans to help distribute the humidity & cool air.