• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine Frigi-dor Smell?

BahamaTom

Hello All-

I was wondering for those of you that have converted wine frig's to humidors: How did you take the plastic smell out of the equation? I have tried it all, from baking soda, to spanish cedar blocks, to letting the sucker air-out, and nothing has helped...

And, will my precious stogies impart that smell?

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks in advance CP members...

Regards,

BT

I did the baking soda and hot water wash about three times, then left it open to air out for a few days.

I lined mine completely with Spanish cedar after than and there is not a hint of plastic anymore. It was strong as hell when it was new tho.

Fabrease? unscented...maybe.

When I buy a new cooler, I always wash it with warm water and baking soda, then rinse. I also place a fan blowing into it for add circulation while it is drying for at least over night....

Hope this helps

Tim

Hello All-

I was wondering for those of you that have converted wine frig's to humidors: How did you take the plastic smell out of the equation? I have tried it all, from baking soda, to spanish cedar blocks, to letting the sucker air-out, and nothing has helped...

Regards,

BT
BT,

The interior surface (the liner) of refrigerator units are typically HIPS or SAN/ABS copolymer. This is a different class of plastic from the HDPE or polypropylene that coolers are made out of. The residual odor from SAN/ABS can be more pungent and more long lasting. If you've already washed it down with baking soda, I'd suggest that you go ahead and put your cigars in but also but in a container of baking soda and/or a deodorizing unit containing activated charcoal. These should grab the odors in the air.

Of course I can't tell exactly how stinky your fridge is. If it were really bad, I'd leave only the deodorizing units in there for a while to see if they are effective in sopping the stink.

Wilkey

I've got a 12 count and a 24 count Haier and I've never had a problem with either. Maybe I'm just lucky. Also, the humidity in the wine fridge (~58%) is lower than I like, so I place my boxes in ziploc bags with individual humidipacks. I love the aroma that escapes from the bags when I open them.

Hello All-

Regards,

BT
BT,

The interior surface (the liner) of refrigerator units are typically HIPS or SAN/ABS copolymer. This is a different class of plastic from the HDPE or polypropylene that coolers are made out of. The residual odor from SAN/ABS can be more pungent and more long lasting. If you've already washed it down with baking soda, I'd suggest that you go ahead and put your cigars in but also but in a container of baking soda and/or a deodorizing unit containing activated charcoal. These should grab the odors in the air.

Of course I can't tell exactly how stinky your fridge is. If it were really bad, I'd leave only the deodorizing units in there for a while to see if they are effective in sopping the stink.

Wilkey

You've nailed it Wilkey... The smell is pretty offensive, as AKmik can attest to (I have the same Venotemp...). I will try placing the baking soda box in there for a while and see how it goes... I may have to bite the bullet and get an Aristocrat...storage and quality: :thumbs: money to spend: :(

AKmik, I should pay you to make me the cedar inserts like yours!

Thanks all for your help.

Regards,

BT

Sorry to hear that, BT.

When I was an engineer for Monsanto, I worked with SAN/ABS copolymers and some of those materials, if they have too much residual AN, could curl your nose hairs it was so piercing.

Wilkey

You could try putting it out in the sun for a few hours. I did that with mine (and my coolers before that) and it worked great. There's something about the fresh air and sunshine...

I'll tell you- You open up this fridge and the smell is overwhelming... I put a box of baking soda in there... I will see how that does... If not, I will try sitting it outside as you suggested LilBastage...

I've got a good set-up and I hate to admit defeat... I have the Cigar Oasis II XL in there... The humidity is holding perfectly with this beast of a humidifier...

If I can't get the smell out, one of you may get a good deal on the CO II XL... :blush:

Thanks again all...

Regards,

BT

Try wiping it out with some white vinegar and let then let it air out...
I've been successful with this technique before.
Maybe baking soda solution after it's dried...
If it's really bad!

-Rob