• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Winston Churchill's cigar airbrushed from picture

i8tokyo2

This blow's
orig story

Winston Churchill's cigar airbrushed from picture
A photograph of Winston Churchill giving his victory salute has been airbrushed to remove his signature cigar.

By Nick Collins
Published: 11:21AM BST 15 Jun 2010

churchill-comp_1657976c.jpg

The original image (left) was taken in 1948 during the opening of a new military headquarters, and (right) the airbrushed image Photo: CORBIS/Stephanie Schaerer In the well-known original image, Churchill makes a "V" shaped symbol with his fingers – while gripping a cigar in the corner of his mouth.

But in a reproduction of the picture, hanging over the main entrance to a London museum celebrating the wartime leader, he has been made into a non-smoker through the use of image-altering techniques.

Related Articles
Guy Walters: If we rid Churchill of his cigar, Hitler's moustache may as well go
Churchill sale at Christie's
Winston Churchill D-Day cigar discovered
Nicolas Sarkozy love handles 'airbrushed'
Airbrushing 'should be banned'
Nicholas Soames in battle with BNP for using Churchill to promote partyIt is unclear who is responsible for doctoring the photograph, with the museum – The Winston Churchill's Britain at War Experience – claiming not to have noticed the cigar was missing.

John Welsh, manager of the museum, admitted he was shocked to learn of the alteration, but declined to reveal who was responsible for the display and for enlarging the image.

He said: "We've got all sorts of images in the museum, some with cigars and some without. We've even got wartime adverts for cigarettes in the lift down to the air-raid shelter, so we wouldn't have asked for there to be no cigar."

Don Robinson, who owned the museum before passing it to a charitable trust 20 years ago, added: "If we'd known we would have said: 'No, it stays as it is.' Everything we do we try to do accurately and the cigar symbolises Churchill."

The alteration of the original image, taken in 1948 during the opening of a new military headquarters, was noticed by David McAdam, a visitor to the museum.

He told the Daily Mail: "I pointed out this crude alteration to a museum steward who said she hadn't noticed the change before, nor had anyone else pointed it out.

"So much for the notion that only communist tyrants airbrushed history."

Alan Packwood, of the Churchill Archives Centre, said he was not aware of any previous case where Churchill's cigar had been digitally removed from a picture

Sounds like the museum isn't happy about the picture, hopefully they take it down.

I think the doctoring of any historical picture is an abomination. It is history and is what it is. You can't retroactively take out what you don't like.

During the "Golden Age" of Hollywood, many celebrities embraced the smoking habit. Yet in keeping with concern for public health and the presentation of positive role models, the Postal Service maintains a policy against depicting smoking on stamps. More than one Legends of Hollywood image has been modified to avoid linking the subject with cigarette smoking.
davis.jpg
Bette Davis is wearing a fur coat in the original source photograph, but the stamp design shows a red fabric coat.

The Roy Schatt photograph of James Dean which was used as a model for the selvage art — shows a cigarette in Dean's mouth. Likewise, Bogart has a cigarette in his hand in the selvage reference still, from Casablanca (1942). In both cases, artist Michael Deas eliminated the cigarettes. And although Audrey Hepburn has a cigarette holder in her hand in the selvage illustration from Break fast at Tiffany's (1961), the cigarette itself is cropped out.

Other social issues are considered as well. The source photograph for the Bette Davis stamp, made during the filming of All About Eve (1950), shows Davis wearing a fur coat. Out of sensitivity to possible objections from animal-rights activists, the Postal Service asked Deas to render the coat as fabric.

During the "Golden Age" of Hollywood, many celebrities embraced the smoking habit. Yet in keeping with concern for public health and the presentation of positive role models, the Postal Service maintains a policy against depicting smoking on stamps. More than one Legends of Hollywood image has been modified to avoid linking the subject with cigarette smoking.
davis.jpg
Bette Davis is wearing a fur coat in the original source photograph, but the stamp design shows a red fabric coat.
The Roy Schatt photograph of James Dean which was used as a model for the selvage art — shows a cigarette in Dean's mouth. Likewise, Bogart has a cigarette in his hand in the selvage reference still, from Casablanca (1942). In both cases, artist Michael Deas eliminated the cigarettes. And although Audrey Hepburn has a cigarette holder in her hand in the selvage illustration from Break fast at Tiffany's (1961), the cigarette itself is cropped out. Other social issues are considered as well. The source photograph for the Bette Davis stamp, made during the filming of All About Eve (1950), shows Davis wearing a fur coat. Out of sensitivity to possible objections from animal-rights activists, the Postal Service asked Deas to render the coat as fabric.
So it was ok to take out the fur coat but it was ok to put in "Man Hands" ?????
biggrin.gif
It's ridiculous...it's a historical photo... we are letting the crazy few dictate to the many.... sometimes not offending people IS offensive...

I think it's bullshit that they try to shape history around political correctness. I'd be happy to call the museum and ask them why they are lying about history.

Without his trademark cigar in his mouth, he reminds me of this other "hero" of days gone by!

ArchieBunker.gif

Archie would have told 'em to stick it where the sun don't shine!
laugh.gif

This reminds me of something out of 1984. Wasn't it Winston's job to re-write and/or destroy those parts of history memorabilia that Big Brother didn't approve of?

This reminds me of something out of 1984. Wasn't it Winston's job to re-write and/or destroy those parts of history memorabilia that Big Brother didn't approve of?

Basically. He did corrections. So if a month ago Big Brother stated that there would be 500 000 boots made and are now saying only 200 000 were made Winston would fix any articles that were from a month ago that said 500 000 and make then read 200 000.

Odd reference I had just finished the book last week.

Basically. He did corrections. So if a month ago Big Brother stated that there would be 500 000 boots made and are now saying only 200 000 were made Winston would fix any articles that were from a month ago that said 500 000 and make then read 200 000.

Odd reference I had just finished the book last week.

Could you expound on this a bit please? I'm shamefully lacking in my Churchill history and I'm not sure what you are referring to. Thanks.

Not Churchill. The character's first name in 1984 was Winston. Orwell's book. I think he was implying that the deletion of the cigar was similar to the actions of Big Brother in the book and the coincidence of the shared name between Churchill and the protagonist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit - Gawd awful spelling.

Got to love the irony. A museum, a place that promotes the conservation of history, advertises an exhibition of a historical figure with an altered image, thus negating the purpose of the museum and the exhibition.

Got to love the irony. A museum, a place that promotes the conservation of history, advertises an exhibition of a historical figure with an altered image, thus negating the purpose of the museum and the exhibition.
BINGO!!

Well said...

Not Churchill. The character's first name in 1984 was Winston. Orwell's book. I think he was implying that the deletion of the cigar was similar to the actions of Big Brother in the book and the coincidence of the shared name between Churchill and the protagonist.

Do forgive me as its been a while since I read 1984. :) Indeed, this is what I was trying to convey though. For me, I think that our history is our history. Be it perceived as good, bad, or indifferent. Why try to "hide" some things because some feel it is not the socially acceptable "norm" of today? Winston Churchill loved a good cigar and the original photo showed that nicely. Why try to portray him in a way that isn't true? He struck me as the type as being very proud of who he was. Something tells me he wouldn't of approved of that image being changed in the manner it was.