• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

World Cup 2010 South Africa

ManInBlack

I figured that we should have a thread for discussions of the World Cup (separate from the pool that is running in the Lobby). Like many of you, I am sure, I cannot wait for tomorrow when the tournament will get under way. I'll put my colours out there right away: I am a Netherlands fan through and through. We looked great at Euro 2008, until that disastrous loss to Russia. But I am confident that this will be the year that we finally hoist the World Cup. Go Oranje!

Of course, if Robben's injury is serious, we may be in some trouble. But, we won't be alone. I cannot remember a major tournament at which so many stars were injured before the opening game. Nani, Robben, Drogba, Ferdinand... wow, just wow!

Anyway, kick-off is in less than 24 hours. Here we go...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say England vs. Spain with England clinching it.

Go England!!!!

I always root for the South American teams, but not especially Brazil. I learned about futbol in Peru so I'm a little biased. Sadly, Peru never qualifies or wins.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say England vs. Spain with England clinching it.

Go England!!!!

Outside of Rooney England doesn't have a legit striker, and Rio Ferdinand out of the tourney is a huge hit to their Defense.

You need to stand up to your wife and root for the Stars and Stripes. :laugh:

I figured that we should have a thread for discussions of the World Cup (separate from the pool that is running in the Lobby). Like many of you, I am sure, I cannot wait for tomorrow when the tournament will get under way. I'll put my colours out there right away: I am a Netherlands fan through and through. We looked great at Euro 2008, until that disastrous loss to Russia. But I am confident that this will be the year that we finally hoist the World Cup. Go Oranje!

Of course, if Robben's injury is serious, we may be in some trouble. But, we won't be alone. I cannot remember a major tournament at which so many stars were injured before the opening game. Nani, Robben, Drogba, Ferdinand... wow, just wow!

Anyway, kick-off is in less than 24 hours. Here we go...

You forgot Ballack, Essien, and John Obi Mikel as well.

Go England!!!!

The least you could do is root for the USA until they are out of the tourney! I think you may be a turncoat.
biggrin.gif

Ken

The latest report is that Robben should be fit to play in Holland's opener against Denmark on the 14th. :thumbs:

What are you saying? Up 6-1 in a friendly, you're not supposed to try the double twisting back heel in the pike position? :blush:

What are you saying? Up 6-1 in a friendly, you're not supposed to try the double twisting back heel in the pike position? :blush:

Not when you're as notorious for injuries and hitting the ground like you've been shot as Robben is. ;) :laugh:

Outside of Rooney England doesn't have a legit striker, and Rio Ferdinand out of the tourney is a huge hit to their Defense.

With the frequency of them scoring in big games, you might as well count Lampard and Gerrard as strikers. Once Barry is fit again, I'm sure you'll see Gerrard take on a much more offensive position. However, if Rooney stays healthy, there really is no need for any other strikers. He just needs someone to take some pressure off him and feed him once in a while, and both Crouch and Heskey will be able to do that.

I'm sure England and USA will come out of their group, but I don't really see USA taking down Germany or Serbia in the knock out stage. I'm rooting for the Stars and Stripes in the group stages, but the Three Lions after that.

Go Red, White, and Blue.

With the frequency of them scoring in big games, you might as well count Lampard and Gerrard as strikers. Once Barry is fit again, I'm sure you'll see Gerrard take on a much more offensive position. However, if Rooney stays healthy, there really is no need for any other strikers. He just needs someone to take some pressure off him and feed him once in a while, and both Crouch and Heskey will be able to do that.

I'm sure England and USA will come out of their group, but I don't really see USA taking down Germany or Serbia in the knock out stage. I'm rooting for the Stars and Stripes in the group stages, but the Three Lions after that.

Go Red, White, and Blue.

They need Barry healthy quick because Gerard and Lampard are frightening defensively together in midfield. Barry will open up their ability to sneak forward. The one no one seems to be talking about is Joe Cole who is quite the goal scorer himself.

I think the USA will make it out of the group and agree they'd have a hard time with the Serbs or Germans , but remember this isn't the Germans of '06 or even the '08 Euro's they are lacking considerably in the midfield which isn't helped by Ballack's absence.

I'll be rooting for the US until we go out then it's the Three Lions and Portugal for me. What can I say I'm a Ronaldo fanboy.

They need Barry healthy quick because Gerard and Lampard are frightening defensively together in midfield. Barry will open up their ability to sneak forward. The one no one seems to be talking about is Joe Cole who is quite the goal scorer himself.

I think the USA will make it out of the group and agree they'd have a hard time with the Serbs or Germans , but remember this isn't the Germans of '06 or even the '08 Euro's they are lacking considerably in the midfield which isn't helped by Ballack's absence.

I'll be rooting for the US until we go out then it's the Three Lions and Portugal for me. What can I say I'm a Ronaldo fanboy.

Don't forget the other Cole too. Ashley might sometimes fall asleep in defense, but with the exception of Heinze, I don't think there's a better attacking defender out there.

As for the Germans...even when they suck, they reach the semifinals/finals. Don't forget '02, we had them on the ropes and they still ended being runners up. They might not have flash, but they sure find a way to win. Everyone talks about Ronaldo, Rooney, and Messi, but don't forget the Germans have the winner of the best young player of the last world cup in Podolski.

That was a beautiful goal from Tshabalala to get this thing going! With the two draws today, France vs. Mexico could be a great game, unless of course the French have decided to exit another World Cup without scoring a goal. But I think it could be a great game. And those Mexico jerseys are some of the coolest that I have seen in some time.

England vs. USA tomorrow. This is going to be a great month!

Go England!!!!

Dunno about that. I think Gerrard and Crouch can be considered pretty dangerous too.

:laugh: It was a wild afternoon in the Fields house yesterday, with me being loyal to both teams apparently not being acceptable. :laugh:

Good match on USA's part with the draw, even if Green should not have allowed that goal.

Tim Howard played an excellent match!

Go England!!!!

Dunno about that. I think Gerrard and Crouch can be considered pretty dangerous too.

:laugh: It was a wild afternoon in the Fields house yesterday, with me being loyal to both teams apparently not being acceptable. :laugh:

Good match on USA's part with the draw, even if Green should not have allowed that goal.

Tim Howard played an excellent match!

But Gerrard's a midfielder. Crouch...I don't know what you call a 6'7" guy that weighs 98 lbs.

I'll take the draw and hope if we go through we don't have to face Germany. They looked wicked against the Aussies!

I have to say, I was hoping for more from the England/US game. There wasn't a lot of sustained build-up from either side. Gerrard had a good game. But Rooney really called that one in. In my opinion, both sides will have to do much better if they want to go anywhere in this tournament.

Germany looked great today. The score could easily have been 7-0 in that one.

I have to say, I was hoping for more from the England/US game. There wasn't a lot of sustained build-up from either side. Gerrard had a good game. But Rooney really called that one in. In my opinion, both sides will have to do much better if they want to go anywhere in this tournament.

Germany looked great today. The score could easily have been 7-0 in that one.

I give oneywu a lot of credit for reigning Rooney in. I watch Rooney play on a weekly basis and he was handled. When Rooney calls it in you can alway tell. That's when the rash challenges and red mist start to appear. He's very hard on himself when having a bad game not as much when marked well and properly.