• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

would appreciate some advice

blamb5

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this topic has been asked and answered elsewhere.

My wife and I smoke together and have found we tend to like Nicaraguan cigars, especially puros, more than most others. Habano wrappers seem to be to our liking. Examples would be Le Bijou and Flor de las Antillas from My Father.

Would there be a specific brand or brands of Cubans that would appeal more to us? This may be an incorrect way to think about it but that is why I ask for some advice.

We will be traveling in the near future where we will be able to enjoy some authentic Cubans. Trying not to do it completely blind.

Thanks

Welcome, like he said above please post an intro in the introduction forum. I don't know where you are going to be traveling but you've got an 80% of that authentic cuban you buy to have Nicaraguan/newspaper filler/wrapper and not be authentic cuban. Since you appear to just to starting your journey I'd avoid buying Cubans only because the odds of you getting scammed and overpaying for something you will under enjoy is very high.

In regards to the cigars you like, I would start going to your local B&M and trying singles of anything you can get your hands on. Pick out a "strength" of cigar and work your way through the gambit. You told us about a FULL bodied and a Medium. I would stick to Medium to Medium full until you really get your palate figured out. Just because you like Nicaraguan filler doesn't mean you won't like Honduras or any of the other ones. The two wrappers you listed are Sungrown and Habano so you are already liking different things than you listed.

If you are looking for ideas of what other cigar smokers enjoy, take a look in the "today's smoke 2022" and 2021 for a good idea.

I’d offer that if not bought from a LCDH retailer, or some other authorized retailer, a good number would be fake. “Trusted Vendors” roaming around on beaches and swap meets prolly ain’t gonna have authentic Cuban seegars. It’s kinda like the Rolex “dealer” in the streets of Manhattan. $25k Presidential for you today only, $250.00!

Floyd T

Thanks everyone. You are correct that I should post some introductory info. Fortunately, I have a bit more experience than some might think. We will be in Rome where my plan is to visit the LCDH as we have done in other locations.

My question was to help me get some clearer direction to cigars that would be similar to what I have come to enjoy most.

My question was to help me get some clearer direction to cigars that would be similar to what I have come to enjoy most.

Completely different regions, different tobacco and different soil. You’d be more prudent to start getting/buying sample packs from online vendors and starting there.

Maybe Bolivar Royal Coronas, Romeo y Julieta Cazadores. These two tend to be example of fuller Habanos. Good luck!
Beyond these, maybe try Bolivar Belicisos Finos or Petit Coronas. Partagas is another brand you might enjoy, they have a spicier, earthier flavor.

I’d offer that if not bought from a LCDH retailer, or some other authorized retailer, a good number would be fake. “Trusted Vendors” roaming around on beaches and swap meets prolly ain’t gonna have authentic Cuban seegars. It’s kinda like the Rolex “dealer” in the streets of Manhattan. $25k Presidential for you today only, $250.00!

Floyd T
I bought a "Brolex" with the "B" scratched off in Atlanta for $5 in 1977🤪

Thanks everyone. You are correct that I should post some introductory info. Fortunately, I have a bit more experience than some might think. We will be in Rome where my plan is to visit the LCDH as we have done in other locations.

Careful, I was there a few years ago and their humidor smelled like a dirty sock. I made a purchase, but I didn't trust the humidor to make a box purchase.

Hola! Everyone is considered a newb until proven otherwise, so take no offense.

I've only been smoking since november (so defo a newb), but cuban wise Partgas hits my palate well. The series D #4 is good, and they do plenty of cheaper smokes like the Super and Short which are better then any NC I've smoked at a similar price point.

I haven't really enjoyed much from Nicaragua outside of the le bijou.

I haven't really enjoyed much from Nicaragua outside of the le bijou.

Oh no... that can't continue to be a thing. Have you had an El Güegüense before (Wise Man)? Or anything Illusione? Sticks from the Ometepe isle, with its ultra rich volcanic soil and alkaloids, can stand up to just about any stick from Havana or the DR (yeah.. I said it!).

Ometepe translates to "two mountains", which refers to the islands twin volcanos, Concepción and Maderas. While the former is dormant, the latter erupts quite frequently.. geologically speaking. They also grow and provide some of the best and most fragrant Spanish cedar in the world.

Ometepe-Island-1024x480.jpg

The Partagas Decadas is a damn tasty stick with a nice heap of Ometepe leaves in it. The Diesel Delirium is another must try. I also hear the next cigar for Illusione's Jeremy Piven Collection will be chock full of Placensia grown Ometepe... that will be an automatic box buy.

As General and TABSA (owned by Casa Fernandez & Aganorsa owner Eddie Fernandez), continue to grow their Nicaraguan operations (Illusione, Foundation, Warped, Viaje, HVC, etc), you can expect many more amazing sticks from that region.

Cubans will always have their distinct and amazing profiles. But some of the Nicaraguans, especially certain puros, have their own unique and amazing profiles as well. It's now a great rivalry for Cubanos... just like Dominicans were - and still are.

It's a rivalry I'm happy to participate with. 👍

I've had one from illusione. Just tatsted like tabacco to me. Nothing stood out, but that was early in my cigar journey back in November, so may five them another shot. I did really enjoy the Nicaro exclusivo and the Hamlet from a manufacturer I dont dare attempt to spell.

Really? I dont have that problem with most. Generally only from the Nic region. The first camacho triple maduro I had literally taste like chocolate. The 2nd not so much, mostly because I apired that with beer instead of a sugary drink. Pairing certainly makes a difference. The cheap Quintero are much better with coffee then alcohol as another example.