• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wrapper discussion

Your math is a little squirley but you are right about the impact of the wrap versus the turkey.

Your equation of 2xpixR is used to measure the cross sectional mass of the filler while your pi x diameter measurement measures the circumference. A cross section of the turkey wrap would actually produce a much higher ratio than 2 to 1 depending on the thickness of the wrap.

I knew we would get some good discussion on this subject.....it just took a little prodding!

Sorry gentlemen, I could not resist! It seems like a good trade!! :laugh: For Sale---Assless Chaps---For Spidey Comic books!!

Real men don't eat quiche.

Doc.

Fine. An eggwhite frittata then.

BTW, I don't believe you've answered my question on the assless chaps.

Wilkey
It's a gray area, but I'll tell ya this, you go orderin' eggwhite frittatas around here and you'll be treated as if you were wearing assless chaps.

Doc.

Cameroon tend to be slightly spicey. If I remeber right, aren't Hemis Cameroon?
Sun Grown tend to be spicey to the tongue and pallet. Think black pepper.
Corojo tend be be very pungent in pure tobacco flavor. Some relate it to Cubans, but I am not sure.
Maduro tend to sweet and rich in flavors.
Natural and shade grown tend to be sweet and very mild.
Sumatra suck.
Rosado aren't very common.
Candela are slightly tannic and very bland.
Each wrapper grower uses different strains for different wrappers. IMO, you cant really for sure say a type wrapper tastes a certain way. This can really only be done within one line. In the above list, you have tobacco type and also special handling.
Rosado, Sumatra, Cameroon, and Corojo are types. Candela, natural, shade grown, sun grown, and maduro are the way wrappers are grown or processed. For example, Corojo and be natural or Maduro. Connecticut can be maduro, shade grown, or natural. Are you confoozerazled yet?
-E
Well, though I disagree with "Sumatra suck" (try a Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra) I would suggest that you go to your local tobacco shop, and try some of the same sticks with different wrappers. There are quite a few out there (HdM Excalibur, Maria Mancini are two I use to "train" college boys with) that have basically the same stick in both a Natural (Connecticut Shade) and Maduro wrapper. Once you've got the basic concepts down, then look at some of the more subtle differences between the darker wrappers.

Have all of you been to JR Cigar's "Cigar University" section and read the wealth of info there? That's where I began getting serious about learning a little beyond "I know what I like." Here's a link.

And FYI, if you're looking to get started on your "wrapper degree", they've frequently got inexpensive five-packs or gift sets that combine several variants of the same mfg's stick, so you can become more discerning about the finish.

One last point that not a lot of smokers get, as we Americans seem obsessed with big fat cigars. If you'll notice, Cuban cigars tend to be smaller in diameter, with the corona size being consistently popular. Why? Because the BALANCE or ration between the amount of wrapper used and the amount of filler absolutely defines the taste. I'm going to do some math here, but I'll use average and super-size turkey wraps to keep your interest. Remember pi? It's the ratio of the diameter to the circumference in a circle.

Let's say you buy a 2" diameter turkey wrap. Its cross section is (pi * radius^2) equals 3.14 square inches of filler (turkey) How much wrapper? The circumference (pi * diameter) is 6.28. Mmmm.... that's a 1:2 ratio of turkey to tortilla. You can taste both.

Now a big fat 4" turkey wrap. Radius is 2", squared is 4", times pi is 12.56 square inches of filler. Diameter is 4" x pi = 12.56 linear inches. Ratio of square inches of filler to linear inches of wrapper is 1:1. So a lot less wrapper flavor vs the filler. You'd better be a turkey lover, because you're not going to be tasting the wrapper.

See how ring gauge changes the product's taste using the same blend? It's the same with cigars. So in addition to checking wrappers, consider and match the ring gauge of what you're smoking/comparing.
Thanks for the really insightful post :thumbs:

Sorry gentlemen, I could not resist! It seems like a good trade!! :laugh: For Sale---Assless Chaps---For Spidey Comic books!!

Real men don't eat quiche.

Doc.

Fine. An eggwhite frittata then.

BTW, I don't believe you've answered my question on the assless chaps.

Wilkey
It's a gray area, but I'll tell ya this, you go orderin' eggwhite frittatas around here and you'll be treated as if you were wearing assless chaps.

Doc.

Funny as hell, "Perfect condition, barely noticible stickiness." I wonder if this "stickiness" also includes "Stinkiness"

Your math is a little squirley but you are right about the impact of the wrap versus the turkey.

Your equation of 2xpixR is used to measure the cross sectional mass of the filler while your pi x diameter measurement measures the circumference. A cross section of the turkey wrap would actually produce a much higher ratio than 2 to 1 depending on the thickness of the wrap.

I knew we would get some good discussion on this subject.....it just took a little prodding!
Well my son's the math major, and I hate to thrown down sliderules on you, but when I went to school, circumference is "pi times the radius times 2", or "pi x Diameter", both of which measure circumference in linear units.

To get area, you need square units, which is why area is pi x R^2 (Pi times R squared).

But regardless of how the math is done, increasing the ring gauge of the cigar means the extra filler will mask more of the wrapper & binder's flavor. Some cigars tackle this problem by doing double-wrapper cigars, etc.

In general, if you're testing wrappers, match ring gauge when you do. And don't be scared off in general by high-quality small diameter smokes. You may find they put a smile on your face.

Well my son's the math major, and I hate to thrown down sliderules on you, but when I went to school, circumference is "pi times the radius times 2", or "pi x Diameter", both of which measure circumference in linear units.

To get area, you need square units, which is why area is pi x R^2 (Pi times R squared).

But regardless of how the math is done, increasing the ring gauge of the cigar means the extra filler will mask more of the wrapper & binder's flavor. Some cigars tackle this problem by doing double-wrapper cigars, etc.

In general, if you're testing wrappers, match ring gauge when you do. And don't be scared off in general by high-quality small diameter smokes. You may find they put a smile on your face.

Agreed! The flaw in your math was only in the 2-1 ration of turkey to wrap, that ratio is probably more like 20-1 and is not not calculated by using pi to determine circumference and then comparing that to diameter. Besides, the only time you eat pi with turkey is at Thanksgiving and you don't eat turkey wraps for Thanksgiving.