• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WTF is going on lately

While our good pal below may be fine, I'm sure I've been guilty of this in the past.

But being the center of the universe, why wouldn't you want to read and worship every bit of drivel that flows from my gaping drooling maw?

I agree with the Lawman (and most other comments here), it's a fine balance.
I've been in alot of forums over my life. Posting drivel is completely normal. That being said, why would CP be like any other forum?

I don't know that I've furthered this discussion at all, wait a sec, should I write this? Oh my god, am I babbling? Gak!

~R

Somebody do me a favor and tell me, "Hey dude, it's you! Now STFU!"

Here's my contribution to this thread:

dump_olympics.gif

:)

Being relatively new here, I may have a different perspective on this subject than most of the long-time members.

Is there a fair amount of OT/silly posting in the lobby? Yes. Isn't that what it's for? As many have said, if you don't want to read a thread no one is forcing you, and IMO it helps us get to know each other much, much more than only serious posts would allow.

Is there a fair amount of threadjacking/BS posting in otherwise serious threads? I suppose, but I don't see it as getting out of hand (most of the time). Again, done in moderation this adds to the senses of fun and community.

One of the reasons I joined this forum, rather than just lurking, was because of the balance between entertainment and enlightenment that is provided by the good-natured atmosphere. If this forum had been a serious, on-topic only, all posts that don't have enough content or contribute meaningfully will be deleted and the user warned style, I would simply lurk but probably have little desire to contribute. It is the off-topic interactions that create a sense of friendship as opposed to a sense of acquaintance. It's similar to the difference between a colleague who will only talk about work versus one that will go out and have a beer with you after hours.

I have nothing meaningful to add to this discussion.

Except for the simple fact that this board is Rod's creation and our forum. If Rod decides to simplify his life (in aspects of workload and financal burden related to the upkeep of this board) by setting down a few "rules" then I for one will consider very carefully what I say with respect and out of respect for Rod. Rod deserves better than to be treated unfairly by certain members of the board, who already know who they are, and are seemingly unable to "keep it in their pants" when it comes to posting meaningless comments or "inside joke" fodder that does nothing to enhance the experience of other members (and worse pisses off other members).

It's true that we police each other when it comes to those unsavory folks who try to get the best of real members through bad trades or lame trolls. And the policing should continue. It seems to me that Rod has asked for a degree of self-policing from some members. I would hope that the message was received loud and clear. I know that Rod would never envision his board as a humorless clinic or scrubbed of fun (I mean... just show up in Glendale during one of our HERF's when we rip endlessly on Chewbacco). The point is that we're mostly adults, and mostly human. I, for one, always think carefully before I post. Sometimes I throw a simple, silly post out there and perhaps it's merely a reflection of the mood I'm in at the time. Other times I read a thread and know that I have nothing additional to contribute so I keep my mouth shut. The former is where you guys get a chance to put me in check, while the latter is where I check myself.

Great topic Mark (whoops) Tim.

I see this community as a bunch of my buddies sitting around drinking beer, poking fun at each other, etc. Yeah, there will be topics where we shake our heads and say WTF, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. With the growth of the site, it's bound to happen. When you run across a thread that you think is useless, just ignore it. If it's a repeater poster, PM him/her and let them know to cut it out.

I can't think of a time when I'm bs'ing with my friends after a couple of drinks and just said, "what the hell are you talking about?" :D

I know I'm guilty, and I think my dear princess is dead on. If something comes up and I'm a little unsure, there's a good chance I'd ask the board because I consider it to be like a group of good friends I have a couple of drinks and stogies with on the weekends. To be honest I can't think of much that I discuss with friends that isn't discussed on here. Women, sports, cars, etc. We ask each other for prayers and good thoughts in time of need, and we send congrats to those who deserve it.