• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WTF is going on lately

Whew, I'm only at 9.5. If I cut out the Saloon I'd be down to 5. It is a social board and whenever you get a bunch of guys together you're going to get a myriad of subjects, trash talking, and BS. Hopefully, it doesn't get too far out of hand but it is going to be neigh on impossible to change the nature of the individuals.

My comment regarding this topic : if someone routinely posts 15+ posts daily, posts of substance are not their objective. A few manage to be an exception....

Lets not forget your Cigar girls!! Don't you dare stop posting them either!!! But, seriously I don't post very often for this reason. I fell like if I have something worth while to contribute then I will. Not that I am bashing others who do post alot. I often enjoy reading what others post. Thats just me.

Damon

I agree with what has been said here and I also think people need to slow their roll on the attitude of entitlement. Just my 2c but for my first six months here I was not remotely interested in getting into the 'drama' surrounding the weeding out process that takes place on this board. It sure seems to me like a lot of pretty new members feel they are in a position to tell the newer new members 'how it is' here and share their opinion on every little thing. Even when I signed up here a year ago guys that had that sort of attitude would have gotten the smack down from some of our older esteemed members. If you don't believe me use the search feature :cool:
I've been trying to say this time and again lately. Thanks for posting it more clearly and concisely than I've been able to.

The fluff will come and go. I think Swissy has made the best post on this thread. Things that directly involve the membership here are great to see. I love the birth announcements, engagements, and all that stuff. It's the type of stuff you share with friends and other people you hang out with and makes this place feel a little more like what it is meant to be.

Some of the other stuff really just seems like posting for posting's sake. Kind of like that girl in high school that never shuts up because she just loves the sound of her own voice.

I agree with what has been said here and I also think people need to slow their roll on the attitude of entitlement. Just my 2c but for my first six months here I was not remotely interested in getting into the 'drama' surrounding the weeding out process that takes place on this board. It sure seems to me like a lot of pretty new members feel they are in a position to tell the newer new members 'how it is' here and share their opinion on every little thing. Even when I signed up here a year ago guys that had that sort of attitude would have gotten the smack down from some of our older esteemed members. If you don't believe me use the search feature :cool:
I've been trying to say this time and again lately. Thanks for posting it more clearly and concisely than I've been able to.

The fluff will come and go. I think Swissy has made the best post on this thread. Things that directly involve the membership here are great to see. I love the birth announcements, engagements, and all that stuff. It's the type of stuff you share with friends and other people you hang out with and makes this place feel a little more like what it is meant to be.

Some of the other stuff really just seems like posting for posting's sake. Kind of like that girl in high school that never shuts up because she just loves the sound of her own voice.

Several posts here are well said. This is a community formed around our common love of the leaf. I love living vicariously through many of the posts here (love that boat, Jim, and the Alaskan scenery that I bet you take for granted). I like hearing about everyone's experiences. Every couple of sentences in a face to face converstaion, I might say "uh-huh", just to acknowledge that I'm listening, or a "wow" if an exclamation is warranted. Sometimes, a brother might post a :thumbs: as his only comment, and mostly, that's ok. Sometimes brief is good. If all of us were in the same room, sharing conversation and a cigar, there are some I'd ignore, some I'd listen to, and quite a few I'd seek out. You just can't please everyone.

I'll second that. I have noticed the lobby especially, but also a lot of questions in the other forums that have been asked time after time.

The lobby was meant for "Off Topic" threads so we can learn more about each other and have a bit of fun at the same time. So its going to attract the nonsense posts.

I have noticed the younger a BOTL is, the more he tends to post such things, but the younger guys grew up on forums like OT or Genmay where such posting practices are the norm.

In my opinion there needs to be a middle ground found, to keep everyone happy.

I tend to ignore tripe. It shouldn't be too hard for everyone else to do the same.

That has a lot to do with the newer guys trying to show that they "Get it" compared to all the other recent asshats that joined at the same time.

And when it it annoys me, I send the newb a PM. So far everyone I've sent a "slow it down" PM has stopped with the FOG worship and talking smack to people who joined a month or two after them.

I tend to agree with most everyone that has posted in this thread. I know I'm a post whore (only 7.5 though) but the majority of mine came during the war. This is the first online forum that I've ever been a part of so I've had to learn on the fly how things work.I absolutely love this place though as I'm sure many of you do. I check it when I get up, when I have time at work, when I get home, and before I go to bed. Some of you may feel that's drastic, but I'm sure there are quite a few like me that do the same thing. As John stated in his post, he and I did get carried away in Wade's thread bs'ing and having a little fun until a well respected member politely reminded us what we were doing and that it was taking away from what was really going on in that thread. Sometimes we all need to be reminded every now and again that we're all here to learn, have some fun, and share our love for cigars, but at the same time not to throw in the emoticon post or LOL, and actually add a little substance to the post. A wise man once told me that there are 5000 members here on CP, of which 5% are active regularly, and of that 250, 20% or 50 of that 250 are the glue that holds this site together. I may post a lot, many of which may not have a lot of substance, but I'm not a member of 10 different forums, just this one. I have friends here, some I've been fortunate enough to meet and some I hope to meet, but until then, the only interaction I can have with these people is throught the internet.....on this forum.....which to me happens to be one of the greatest discoveries I've made.

Hey, the part of my brain that processes all things subtle doesn't work very well. If I wasn't able to fix stuff around the house, my wife would think I was a total retard.

I read through this thread and thought "Are they talking about me?".

If you are, I'll never know.

Somebody do me a favor and tell me, "Hey dude, it's you! Now STFU!"

Or

"The farm pictures were great. The plumbing pictures...not so much!"

Or

"Nah, you're fine. Go sit down."

Hey, the part of my brain that processes all things subtle doesn't work very well. If I wasn't able to fix stuff around the house, my wife would think I was a total retard.

I read through this thread and thought "Are they talking about me?".

If you are, I'll never know.

Somebody do me a favor and tell me, "Hey dude, it's you! Now STFU!"

Or

"The farm pictures were great. The plumbing pictures...not so much!"

Or

"Nah, you're fine. Go sit down."
They are definitely not talking about you Joe. You're threads about fixing your plumbing and visiting the tobacco farms were informative and great reading as all your threads are. ( I have to replumb my house this fall using pex, so that one really hit home for me)

I actually think we strike the right balance here at CP. You don't have to read every thread. A reader should not be upset if someone posts something that is not directly relevant to that reader's life. It's not like being at a party where you have to be polite and listen to someone's senseless drivel. If a post isn't interesting, don't read it.

I like the diversity of the postings here. I like fishing and cars and guns and chicks. I like that a knucklehead can come and ask a question about a radiator and get an answer from another knucklehead. Occasionally the answers are even correct!

Most importantly, a lot of us know each other well in real life, or have spoken together on the phone, or have met at herfs. And maybe we don't get to hang out as much as we like to, but we can keep track of what is going on in each other's lives through CP. I think there are a lot of deep relationships here that are somewhat hidden by the fact that we are all essentially filling in fields in a database when we post here. The medium sometimes feel impersonal. But it is anything but, and the relationships here are the heartbeat of this community.

JK

I don't know what to make of this. Tempest in a teapot, probably.

Doc.

IMHO...it doesn't matter what the subject is and when (which thread) you say it. This is your forum, where the hell else are you going to get free advice, counseling or therapy :D
The point to keep in mind... If you do not have anything positive to say (add), then don't post. This way you will never have any type of conflict.

Brian

I agree. There are entirely too many posts that shouldn't be posted. Guys post the same kind of remark over and over again. Not only that but the same kind of post seems to come up time after time. And then there are the redundant posts. But the ones that get me are the ones that don't have a new point but only repeat, perhaps with slightly different wording the same concept or observation. The repetitious posting is the thing that gets me.

Just my .02

I have mixed emotions about this one my post count is fairly low. However I think certain reacuring themes are nice and look forward to them. Examples docs history posts I would miss them Ray's girls would mostl definately miss them even some of the RIP so and so I would miss.

For me this forum is a little slice of America that I can access whenever I want even after over 15 year here in Europe I sometimes feel homesick and more often than not I log into CP and feel better.

I am not one of the prominent member here but I do feel comfortable and a lot of it has to do with some of the nonsense threads that make it feel more like home or family. All families are at least a little dysfunctional and Cp is no diffrent it would not be a comfy place if it was.

I recently joined another forum only other forum besides snobs I am a member of and I am not comfortable there and never will be. and it has nothing to do with being new it just seems gay compared to here.

Dale

The medium sometimes feel impersonal. But it is anything but, and the relationships here are the heartbeat of this community.

This to me, sums it up just about right.

I think one of the the things that gets me are the "X2" post. I understand the point, and I even feel that they are valid post, but they still kinda bug me. A few other forums that I have been a member of had a way to acknowledge post with out having to add a new post to the thread. A little button that was part of the post field that allowed you to agree or disagree with what was posted.

Tim

Great conversation guys. ANd more than anything the almost entirely civil and mature nature of it is a testament to our community.
Now, I have been known to occasionally post an off-topic subject. I enjoy injecting some humor into the day (off topic, in the lobby) or perhaps just something interesting that I would enjoy discussing with my friends. I would hate to see that go away. Other people might use and enjoy this forum in a different way than I do, and I would hate to see their enjoyment unnecessarily curtailed.
I guess the point is, how much OT banter is TOO much? When is fun and witty simply annoying?
While we should watch it and continue to self-police a we grow....how do we do so, and continue to be a great topical resource, without becoming a rigid set of internet "common law" that makes this place less fun for everyone?

...how do we do so, and continue to be a great topical resource, without becoming a rigid set of internet "common law" that makes this place less fun for everyone?
Damn lawyers. ;)

Great post.

Josh, that, of course, is the $64 question. The answer is partially found in the give and take of daily discourse both banal and sublime. Such is the range our lives and our community reflects that to a degree.

Wilkey

...how do we do so, and continue to be a great topical resource, without becoming a rigid set of internet "common law" that makes this place less fun for everyone?
Damn lawyers. ;)

Great post.

Josh, that, of course, is the $64 question. The answer is partially found in the give and take of daily discourse both banal and sublime. Such is the range our lives and our community reflects that to a degree.

Wilkey

Great reply. I thought, as I typed my earlier response that my question does not, and really should not, have an easily write-able answer. We all come together as brothers, and give the place a bit of a nudge in the direction that we collectively feel it needs to go. I works so far, and I only hope that it continues to. Now, let's nudge it away from smoking "vanilla" "cohibas."

I see it and probably have been guilty of it too. If I have a valid question not pertaining to cigars, I'll ask it b/c we have many many members here who I value their opinion. For instance, my reading topic. I've never been in that situation before, so I asked it.

I see this community as a bunch of my buddies sitting around drinking beer, poking fun at each other, etc. Yeah, there will be topics where we shake our heads and say WTF, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. With the growth of the site, it's bound to happen. When you run across a thread that you think is useless, just ignore it. If it's a repeater poster, PM him/her and let them know to cut it out.

I see it and probably have been guilty of it too.

Actually the original poster was probably referring to you all along. :rolleyes:

I agree with Wilkey though, I don't think the forum is anywhere near approaching critical mass on BS posts. We have a lobby forum for the reason of kicking back and enjoying ourselves from time to time. If you only want to read serious cigar discussions we have the cigar forum dedicated solely to that. I like the forum the way it is and feel it's not being abused.