• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

XX seal code on Habanos boxes

Very good point. There is no way to do a draw test and if a significant percentage of the box is plugged or supertight, there might not be any good way to tell.

Wilkey

This isnt true whatsoever. They can draw test each and every cigar that is rolled. Before the wrapper goes on. But most just dont give a rats ass since you have to have the machine to draw test and then people than can operate it. It doesnt take a rocket scientist do to it. If you want, I will hunt down a picture of a draw test machine if I absolutely have to prove my point they can and do exist. :thumbs:

Loren,

I think you might have missed my point. I'm acquainted with the Drawmaster but my comment was specifically in reference to finished cigars that are inspected in Havana (revisado) or at a distributor (controllado). Once the wrapper and cap are on. Draw testing can't be done by machine, at least not that I'm aware of.

The latest news out of Cuba is that Habanos is draw testing 100% of cigars produced.

Wilkey

Ah the way it reads doesnt say the cigar is finished tho so I took it as that. And you are correct, you cant draw test once the cigar is wrapped and capped. It sure would be nice tho if someone could figure that one out as I had my first plugged cigar yesterday. A Partagas PC. :( SO I took it apart to see what the leaf looked like at the plugged area and the leaf was bunched up real tight and kinda damp still. It was the worst plug I have ever seen in 10 years and I tried every trick I knew to help loosen it up. Nope...Nothing worked. So I tossed it for one that had a flawless draw.

Hmmm,

Looking back, my comment's not as clear as I thought. :p

Sorry to hear about your plug. :D

Wilkey

Hmmm,

Looking back, my comment's not as clear as I thought. :p

Sorry to hear about your plug. :D

Wilkey

ahhhh.... forget it, that's way to easy :rolleyes:

I actually saw my first box yesterday with a second seal, XY, placed on top of the original seal.

:cool:

Well, I got anothr part of my order in today and lucky me, there is a XY box there. Unfortunately, the date is kinda smugged so I cant read the actual year on it other than 0 something. :( But its just cheap morning smokes so I'm not worried.

[/quote]

Loren,

I think you might have missed my point. I'm acquainted with the Drawmaster but my comment was specifically in reference to finished cigars that are inspected in Havana (revisado) or at a distributor (controllado). Once the wrapper and cap are on. Draw testing can't be done by machine, at least not that I'm aware of.
Wilkey
[/quote]

Exactly! These boxes are inspected after the have been sealed and packaged so they can't be draw tested and there isn't much they can do to attest to the quality of the tobacco used either. Pretty much a visual inspection for obvious defects in wrappers, bugs, etc.

Still being inspected for bugs, wrapper blemishes, etc is better than no inspection at all, right?

Not that they shouldn't being doing that for all the boxes of cigars....

"Revisado means that the box was opened and inspected. Cuba does this every couple of years to ensure the old boxes are still good. Nothing to worry about - completely legit. You might also find two nail holes" -- (from the Manager of Caracol in Havana, Cuba)

In May, I purchased a box of 01 ERDM Gran Coronas with this handstamp.

I was wondering do the inspectors go shop to shop inpecting the quality, or does the store send there old stock back for the "Revisado" handstamp and approval?

I was wondering do the inspectors go shop to shop inpecting the quality, or does the store send there old stock back for the "Revisado" handstamp and approval?

Majority of times "Revisado" happens actually before leaving the factory. Only "controlados" are sent for second inspection. By the way, I saw a post in here about how these things are tested on the vacuum machine. They are tested with the cap on not off. The passing parameters are between 40-60 mm of H20 pressure (negative that is). Every single cigar is tested and noted in a ledger with those numbers along with the roller's name who made them so if there is any problems they can track the roller.

By the way, I saw a post in here about how these things are tested on the vacuum machine. They are tested with the cap on not off. The passing parameters are between 40-60 mm of H20 pressure (negative that is). Every single cigar is tested and noted in a ledger with those numbers along with the roller's name who made them so if there is any problems they can track the roller.

This is absolutely correct. I, like many others, was under the mistaken impression that draw testing is done on cigars prior to their wrappers being applied. This is incorrect.

I've consulted with a very knowledgeable contact of mine who has intimate, insider knowledge and first hand experience with all facets of the Cuban cigar industry and he confirms that this is the case.

So to restate, draw testing is done on finished cigars.

Wilkey

I just got a box of R&J short churchills that had the XY seal on it. Funny thing is that there were three seals but the top one had the XY.

I just got a box of R&J short churchills that had the XY seal on it. Funny thing is that there were three seals but the top one had the XY.

A new release with revisado stamps on it? That's unexpected.

Before you said this, I would have guessed that EL's would not stick around in Havana long enough to be subject to revisado inspection but now I'm not so sure.

Wilkey

A new release with revisado stamps on it? That's unexpected.

Before you said this, I would have guessed that EL's would not stick around in Havana long enough to be subject to revisado inspection but now I'm not so sure.

Wilkey

I originally was freaked out when I had 3 labels on top of each other. When I spoke to some fellow herfers, they explained the whole XX XY label. I checked when I got home and sure enough it was XY. I guess they have to quality inspect everything, including new ones. I will try to take a digital photo tonight and post it.

Just received my Monte A's and this is good. There is definitely 2 seals on the box. But the unique thing there isnt a XY or XX code. Instead its stamped on the box. REVISADO 09/04 which is unique and actually pretty cool. Now I can compare the box code to when it revisited isom land. In this case its a 7 month period. Has anyone else seen this before? I'm not worried, just curious if they are doing a new approach or just lazy.

I originally was freaked out when I had 3 labels on top of each other. When I spoke to some fellow herfers, they explained the whole XX XY label. I checked when I got home and sure enough it was XY. I guess they have to quality inspect everything, including new ones. I will try to take a digital photo tonight and post it.
I was a little freaked out when I saw three labels as well. I started wondering about authenticity, but they were the real deal. I didn't have the same XX / XY experience though. Here is a little photo history:

I purchased several boxes while in spain from a reputable source and a few of them had more than one seal on them. They smoked absolutely fine though.

Little tid bit. I wondered if you all are aware of the XX seal code on the Habanos boxes. On the Cuban government seal on the boxes if you have noticed there is a series of letters, usually two followed by numbers. Always look for the letters starting with XX or XY. XX are assigned to the boxes that has been rechecked for quality and has superior quality as for color match and the roll. Another sign of this is that you will always see the XX seal on top of the original seal. Sometimes on the back of the same box you will see an ink seal of "REVISADO" in addition.

I researched this extensively, talking to a few LCDH managers in Havana and with LLerena, La Corona factory's number two, and they all eluded to the fact, with a smile I might add, that it is an insider secret and not too many people know about it.

So far I have had nothing but great boxes with that seal. Furthermore, I have only seen the XY on the Cohiba Sublimes, Cohiba Doble Coronas, Partagas Reservas # 4 and the Millenium Cohiba 2000 Piramides Ceramic jar which are of even higher quality.

If you happen to be in a LCDH look for that and compare it with a non XX box and see what you think. We have also asked Chris Wolters in Cologne to send us only XX boxes of anything we get when we shop with him and so far he has complied. We were extremely happy with those boxes. He wasn't even aware of it and kept asking us why we wanted those. We didn't tell.

Anybody else with additional info?

XY on punch corona's, 1999! ...with Revisado ??/04