• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ybor CIty, Tampa

Does anyone remember the name of the hole-in-the-wall on Gandy Blvd., that has the best Cuban Sandwiches in the city? They are the only ones who marinate the pork in bitter orange. Its in a white block building.

Does anyone remember the name of the hole-in-the-wall on Gandy Blvd., that has the best Cuban Sandwiches in the city? They are the only ones who marinate the pork in bitter orange. Its in a white block building.

I think I saw a news story about the police raiding that building ...something about a men's hang-out and the marinade??? :whistling:

Nothing of that sort ever surprises me...

I up dated the write-up with a few more to-dos and some links.

Nothing of that sort ever surprises me...

I up dated the write-up with a few more to-dos and some links.

After I quit practicing in Tampa, I also practiced in Sarasota for a while and, living in Pass-e-Grille, had to drive the Skyway (twice) everyday. It is awesome. It would sometimes get pretty hairy in bad weather, and if it got too bad, they would shut it.

But what I would enjoy, back before I had my boats, is going out to the old bridge which runs next to and now serves as a pier more or less and just drop a few lines. Caught crazy sh*t out there, and when the spanish mackerel were running...damn it was nice.

Very useful thread! Any new happenings in Ybor City? I booked my flight last night, I will be in Treasure Island from 12/15 - 12/22 and plan on making a trip or two while I'm there.

Very useful thread! Any new happenings in Ybor City? I booked my flight last night, I will be in Treasure Island from 12/15 - 12/22 and plan on making a trip or two while I'm there.

Bummer - I'm heading down on the 7-10th!

Bummer - I'm heading down on the 7-10th!

What cigar shop will I be able to go into and have them tell me, "Don't worry about the bill, pick out anything you want, Mr.Gary took care of this a week ago."?

Your not talking about Leverocks, are you?

I think it use to be called Johnny Leverocks.

Clearwater/St Pete is basically my home away from home.

That's it. Johnny Leverocks. It wasn't too bad years ago.

And yes BFD, you really do have to go to Salt Rock. It's amazing. Everything from decor to food is awesome.

Sadly both Leverocks and Salt Rock Grill are now closed. Leverocks was closed when I arrived down here a few months ago and I hear through someone at work that Salt Rock just closed to make way for town homes. I wish I had taken the opportunity to stop by before it closed, it looked like a great place. Not all bad news though, I have been to a couple of restaurants I think are worthy of consideration if you happen to be in the area.

Island Way Grill is a fantastic resraurant w/ sushi bar. Most items on the menu carry an asian influence. There is a great outdoor seating area, and some of the best tuna I have ever had.

My wife and I crossed the bay for our anniversary to check out Oyster Catchers at the Hyatt. Excellent view of the bay and outstanding food.

And yes BFD, you really do have to go to Salt Rock. It's amazing. Everything from decor to food is awesome.

Sadly both Leverocks and Salt Rock Grill are now closed. Leverocks was closed when I arrived down here a few months ago and I hear through someone at work that Salt Rock just closed to make way for town homes. I wish I had taken the opportunity to stop by before it closed, it looked like a great place. Not all bad news though, I have been to a couple of restaurants I think are worthy of consideration if you happen to be in the area.

Island Way Grill is a fantastic resraurant w/ sushi bar. Most items on the menu carry an asian influence. There is a great outdoor seating area, and some of the best tuna I have ever had.

My wife and I crossed the bay for our anniversary to check out Oyster Catchers at the Hyatt. Excellent view of the bay and outstanding food.

Damn it! you serious... I loved that place

Damn it! you serious... I loved that place

I happened to drive down Gulf last night and it was still open. Either I was given bad info or the Salt Rock is in its final days. I will keep an eye out.

Good stuff on this thread. I'm heading to Tampa/St. Pete to watch my little bro in spring training and plan on hitting Ybor City for a day. It'll be a 10-cigar day, that's for sure!

Thanks for bumping this... I'mheaded to Tampa/St Pete in April and will making one (or more) detours to Ybor City while I'm there.

Mike, who does your brother play for?

Thanks for bumping this... I'mheaded to Tampa/St Pete in April and will making one (or more) detours to Ybor City while I'm there.

Mike, who does your brother play for?

Cincinnati Reds - this is his first spring training. He was drafted in the third round last year. He's a good kid, hopefully he works his arse off and pitches well.

More about Ybor City:

YBOR CITY, Florida (AP) -- A southwest Florida church issued a challenge for its married members: Hanky panky every day.

Relevant Church head pastor Paul Wirth issued the 30-day sex challenge to take on high divorce rates.

"And that's no different for people who attend church," Wirth said Sunday. "Sometimes life gets in the way. Our jobs get in the way."

The challenge doesn't extend to unwed congregants, however.

Video

Wow, what an awesome thread!

My wife and I are headed to Disneyworld again this March. We're landing in Tampa late afternoon on a Wednesday and renting a car to Disney.

If you had just one night in Ybor City, what would you do? Starting with dinner, cigars, maybe a drink or two before hitting the road to Old Key West, Disney.

Thanks guys. I can't wait for my trip. Sounds like whatever we end up doing, it won't be enough! :laugh:

Wow, what an awesome thread!

My wife and I are headed to Disneyworld again this March. We're landing in Tampa late afternoon on a Wednesday and renting a car to Disney.

If you had just one night in Ybor City, what would you do? Starting with dinner, cigars, maybe a drink or two before hitting the road to Old Key West, Disney.

Thanks guys. I can't wait for my trip. Sounds like whatever we end up doing, it won't be enough! :laugh:

If you're going to be there for an evening, I'd suggest parking at one end of the road and just strolling down the boulevard. Take it as it comes after that.

When I was there in April, that's what my brother and I did. We didn't have a plan other than to visit a few shops, buy some locally rolled cigars, and stop in somewhere for lunch. It made for a pleasant, relaxing afternoon.

Sounds like a great idea. I've heard that the off ramp from Interstate 4(?) gets backed up around the Ybor City exit. Any advice on how to get there any faster? I'm really looking forward to the whole trip and I can't think of a better way to get it started!

As BIGFATDOG says, Burns is definitely the place to eat. GREAT steaks! Also, Ybor City is where Fuente first settled when he arrived in the US.

Sounds like a great idea. I've heard that the off ramp from Interstate 4(?) gets backed up around the Ybor City exit. Any advice on how to get there any faster? I'm really looking forward to the whole trip and I can't think of a better way to get it started!

Depending on your arrival into Tampa, traffic isn't that bad in comparison to larger cities. Between 5 - 6:30 it is somewhat heavy but nothing serious to Houston/LA/ATL...

I would just take 275N to I-4 and get off at Ybor. If you go up to 8th, there is a valet for Ybor patrons and worth the few dollars as it puts you in the Central Ybor area. Walk south to 7th Ave and you'll see King Corona one of several cigar ships on 7th... They still have the barber shop inside, a humidor, rocking chairs and Belgium beers. Walk east and enjoy the scenery... There are several shops along the way. Columbia is a great restaurant and worth considering. They also have a connecting cigar shop that always has premium cigars.

I suggest stopping in at Tampa Sweethearts although they are a few streets off the beaten path...

FWIW