• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves!

Pipe Smoker

You have created a monster! I joined this forum as a weekly cigar smoker for the past decade or so. I only had a couple of questions about getting my old humidor up to snuff. When I joined the forum my humidor had maybe eight cigars in it. Since that time I have filed it to the brim with various five packs and samplers. Then I decided, what the heck, let me buy a box of cigars for a party...Then I thought, well I certainly can't fit an entire box in my already over stuffed humidor, maybe I should start a cooler already....then I thought well if I am going to start a cooler, I should have more than one box in it...then I thought maybe I should try myself an ISOM and see what all the fuss is about...

Now I find myself asking: for my first foray into this realm which would be better, a box of Partagas Petit Coronas Especiales or Jose L. Piedra Cazadores. I lean toward the Partagas because I really like Partagas that come out of the DR. I'm also shying away from the Piedra because they are machine made - but the Piedra sure get a lot of love from folks who know a lot more about cigars than I do. You guys have any opinions on the matter?

Welcome to Cigar Pass!
laugh.gif
Only one cooler?

I would recommend the JLP Cremas but then I've never tried that Partagas vitola. I do like the other Partagas vitolas that I have tried. Oh wait... You were interested in the Cazadores. :p I have both and I prefer the Cremas so much more that they are almost gone while the remaining Cazadores have almost a year of age on them. For the price they are hard to beat, okay make that impossible. :D

The Partagas are definitely better quality, but I love the JLP's. Sure, you run into the occasional paper scrap, or big stem, or any other imperfection with them, but for the price, they are an outstanding smoke. A yard gar that I've never been shy about giving to someone both newbie and afficionado alike. They were one of the most pleasant surprises I've had while smoking cigars. I still have a couple from 2007 that I'm saving. ;)

It is a slippery slope my friend :)

Not to side track you, but try the Bolivar Corona Juniors. If you can request box codes, POL JUN 10 is a good one.

JLPs have very different vitolas. They all taste unique.

I recommend the Party PC Especiale. Consistent, flavorful - good first CC box, IMO.

Hah, a all to familiar story for all of us.. The JLP make for a great yard gar for sure, good for the price.
Food for thought, if the extra money is not a issue why not bump it up to something a little more expensive but better quality:

Bolivar royal corona
HDM Epicure #2
Romeo y Julieta short churchill
Rass
PSD4

ANY of the above will not dissapoint or break the bank (depending on funds).. As a first purchase you won't regret it..

I have never had a Bolivar and honestly they intrigue me more than any other smoke right now. I thought about a springing for a box of Royal Coronas but I figured I'd hold off for now and get one purchase under my belt before I committed to something that I have such high hopes for. I figure a cap of $100 would be good for now - but that's based more on the fact that its a nice round number rather than anything else.

I have smoked shite loads of JLP in all the vitolas and could not agree more on how good they are, only problem is that they lack complexity and the strong flavor that I now crave.
Over the years I have given lots of them out to friends and have never heard a bad word about them. I have to agree with northernmoris on the alternatives, especially the Boli's and RASS as they are great cigars and easy on the pocket.

I have never had a Bolivar and honestly they intrigue me more than any other smoke right now. I thought about a springing for a box of Royal Coronas but I figured I'd hold off for now and get one purchase under my belt before I committed to something that I have such high hopes for. I figure a cap of $100 would be good for now - but that's based more on the fact that its a nice round number rather than anything else.

See if anyone else chimes in.. Read some of Gregs(Kingantz) Boli reviews. My first purchase were the RC's.. I am twisting your arm, but not really..

if you're intrested in Bolis, how about a box of Bolivar Coronas Junior. They are also close to your set price point.

You can also look into RASCC, and Parti Shorts. :love:

Jason

See if anyone else chimes in.. Read some of Gregs(Kingantz) Boli reviews. My first purchase were the RC's.. I am twisting your arm, but not really..

If Greg said that it's good then thats money in the bank.

Well a solution has presented itself. A member has very graciously offered to split a box of Royal Coronas with me. Still wanting to test the waters for myself, I just went ahead and placed an order for a box of Monte No. 4. Looks like I'm in for some good smoking in the near future. Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

With the Memorial Day festivities less than a week away everything is ready to go. Thanks again fellas!

5754954771_b026d04692.jpg

Nice start, but as others have advised you, that cooler is going to fill up fast.

My advice is to buy a BIG cooler next time - something larger than 100 qt. These things have a way of getting filled, and quickly !! You may not believe it now, but just wait and see.... :)