• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

The thought of chocolate mixed with beer never appealed to me, but with all of the positive comments about it, I think I'll give it a try.

From the Oxford Bottled Beer Database:
This is Young's renowned bottled stout, made using a significant proportion of chocolate malt. It is also something of a style classic. The beer is a dense brown-black colour with a creamy beige, thick and bubbly head that lasts well. On the nose there is powdery chocolate and rich, yet dry malt, along with a slightly sour tinge and a hint of bread. The palate is amazingly smooth and creamy, although quite lively, with lots of bitter, dark chocolate and some smokier malt flavours present. It manages to remain fairly dry throughout - the finish is perhaps slightly sweet, but leads into a bitter malt and chocolate aftertaste, which avoids being cloying. Overall, this is a remarkably rich, full-flavoured and well-balanced complex stout. Its smooth and creamy mouthfeel also makes it extremely drinkable.

Try it with a Padron 1964 or 1926. Both are great pairings.

I tried this in the can over the weekend and the flavor is much different than in the bottle. Does anyone know why this is? It has to be a different formula because the taste was noticeably less chocolatey and more smokey. Also, does anyone know why they put the pressurized float in the can?

I tried this in the can over the weekend and the flavor is much different than in the bottle. Does anyone know why this is? It has to be a different formula because the taste was noticeably less chocolatey and more smokey. Also, does anyone know why they put the pressurized float in the can?

Devonn, I found the EXACT same thing when I tried the stout in a can. Not very enjoyable taste imo, I prefere the bottle over the can anyday. And I'm not sure why there is the pressurized ball in the can, might be like the Guinness cans/bottles? I've been told that Guinness puts the pressurized ball in their bottles/cans to keep it from pouring too much "head" as well as freshness.

But then again, I know sh*t about beer, I only know what tastes good to me. :laugh: :whistling:

I've not had Young's in a can, but I assume it is the same as the Guinness "widget," which is used to replicate the feel of the nitrogen tap that Guinness uses, as opposed to a standard CO2 tap. Peronally, I'm not a big fan of nitro-tapped brews, as I feel they usually taste diluted, and the bitter flavors tend to come to the fore.

It's been about a year since I've had this beer. I've always had it in the bottle which I prefer over cans. With all this talk here about it I might have to pick me up a single or two pretty soon.