• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your Favorite Music in 20 Years?

I just purchased "Anthology" by WAR! Anyone remember WAR? Love that L.A. sound, Lee Oskars harmonica!

Contemps:
Nickelback
Evanessence (sp)

Past:
Cranberries
The Smiths
Psychedelic Furs
U2
Killing Joke
LLoyd Cole!!
Sinnead

I will never give up listening to the 300+ old records still in my possesion. Even after multiple "discussions" with my spouse I have maintained all the albums and even a very nice, giant Sansui rack system to play them on.

There are a couple I would add to the list that I recently had on the turntable:

10 Years After
Canned Heat
Mountain
Fleetwood Mac

Also, recently saw Steppenwolf. I guess that was about 9 months ago. John Kay is still singing, but I'm not sure who else is left.

The last time Crosby Still Nash and Young came to St. Louis I saw them as well. They just can't quit get the same notes as when they were younger but the show was still good.

Fleetwood Mac was also in and Lindsey Buckingham is still very high energy and a great performer.

Matt R said:
I think Slade did Cum on Feel the Noise, originally... don't recall the singer.....
Slade did both Cum on feel the noize and Mama were all crazy now...

Lead singer was Notty Holder (They were from Scotland).

First concert was Kiss with Judas Priest opening around 1978/79. Hooked on Priest ever since. Best sound in concert was definately The Who, 1980. Best concert was Iron Maiden/Halford/Queensryche when they re-opened the Aladdin a few years ago.

Scott Bushey said:
I just purchased "Anthology" by WAR! Anyone remember WAR? Love that L.A. sound, Lee Oskars harmonica!
I remember War with Eric Burdon (Animals fame), is that the same group (or incarnation?)

The did "why cant we be friends" I think.

golfgar said:
10 Years After
Canned Heat
Mountain
Fleetwood Mac

Also, recently saw Steppenwolf. I guess that was about 9 months ago. John Kay is still singing, but I'm not sure who else is left.

The last time Crosby Still Nash and Young came to St. Louis I saw them as well. They just can't quit get the same notes as when they were younger but the show was still good.

Fleetwood Mac was also in and Lindsey Buckingham is still very high energy and a great performer.
Ok, anyone know where the term "Heavy Metal" comes from????

Some great stuff there... saw Mountain once, but got waisted and dont remember much...
Saw CSN in Milwaukee in the 70's... great concert.

saw Mountain once, but got waisted and dont remember much...

In those days an event was good or not and it didn't have anything to do with the music, many of the details of the concerts just didn't exist. Saw you are from Milwaukee, I actually had a PBR on draught last night, didn't they brew that up there?

golfgar said:
saw Mountain once, but got waisted and dont remember much...

In those days an event was good or not and it didn't have anything to do with the music, many of the details of the concerts just didn't exist. Saw you are from Milwaukee, I actually had a PBR on draught last night, didn't they brew that up there?
Yep, good ol Pabst was from Milwaukee. That was my fav growing up. Many years ago Pabst and Schlitz were bigger than Miller or Bud.

I have some fond memories sitting in the bleachers of old County Stadium drinking PBR's when we could get em. Schlitz was a major sponsor, so they had to sell 10 schlitz for every PBR.

Ah, now at 5 bucks a glass, you need to get a second mortage to get a buzz on at the ol ball game.

Ok while my memory is still good it goes back a little farther than most of you so far. Here's the dozen that come to mind tonight in no particular order. Tomorrow's list would prpbably be different, too many good groups out there.
Lovin' Spoonful
Drifters
Blues McGoos
Smith (I think she's still recording new material)
Del Shannon
Elis
Fats Domino
Bob Dylan
Doors
Righteous Bro
Janis
Who
etc
etc

Ok I looked back at the heading we were only suppose to go back 20 years, guess some of these double that.

I'm 33. A product of the 80's. Yeah, a surfin' new waver (Bermudas, T-shirts and Flojos) with a little New Ro thrown in (the chicks dug the rolled up pants and colored wife beaters).

#1 Oingo Boingo (Danny Elfman now makes a gazillion bucks doing all of the big hollywood movie music scores)

Butthole surfers
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Go-Gos
Kajagoogoo
Duran Duran
Madness
Depeche Mode
The Fixx
Psychadelic Furs
English Beat
Flock of Seagulls
and a bazillion more

More contemporary:

New #1 Dave Matthews Band (seen 'em 3 times and going again in August)

Hootie and the BlowFish
Cheryl Crow
Alannis Morrisette
Match Box 20
some other grunge

Timeless:

Jimmy Buffett
Bob Marley and the Wailers
Jimmy Cliff
War
Blue Oyster Cult
The Doobie Brothers
CCR
Bad Company
Zepp
Lots of 70's and 80's Rock

No glam and no hair bands

A very cool musician another teacher turned me onto is:

Ottmar Leibert - great classical guitarist w/latin flavor (playing as we speak)

And all of this from a very staunch conservative.

M. Gipson ;)

clown said:
Ok I looked back at the heading we were only suppose to go back 20 years, guess some of these double that.
It's what will be your favorite music in 20 years, so your ok.

My current fav, and probably my fav in 20 years, is the music of my youth (I'm sure that is true for most people), and that goes back to the 60's and 70's (and some 50's as well). Just as my parents still like Glen Miller, Sinatra etc, we love the music of our youth.

But seeing them listen to 40's pop music is far different from what it will look like (and sound like) seeing todays baby boomers at age 70 listening to Zep or Hendrix.

Maggs44 said:
Scott Bushey said:
I remember War with Eric Burdon (Animals fame), is that the same group (or incarnation?)

Maggs,
Yes, War was introduced through Eric Burden. Their best efforts were prior to 1975. "Why Can't we be friends" and the "Low Rider" are not what I call WAR. IMO, that is when they sold out.
Slippin into Darkness, The World is a Ghetto, Gypsy Man, The Cisco Kid are classic WAR anthems!!!

Beatles
Blue Oyster Cult
Ten Years After w/Alvin Lee
Rush
ELP
Allman Brothers w/Duane
Ooooold Zeppelin
Dire Straits w/Mark Knopfler
Pink of Floyd ALL
James Gang Funk 49
YES
Otis Redding
Stevie Wonder
Marvin Gaye
Motown Forever

Hank Williams
Ray Price
Willie Nelson
Lefty Frizzel
Ray Charles
Merle Haggard
Johnny Cash
Conway Twitty
George Jones
Waylin Jennings
David Alan Coe

PB said... heh heh he heheh George Strait... Buwahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ahem.

Scott Bushey said:
Maggs44 said:
Scott Bushey said:

Maggs,
Yes, War was introduced through Eric Burden. Their best efforts were prior to 1975. "Why Can't we be friends" and the "Low Rider" are not what I call WAR. IMO, that is when they sold out.
Slippin into Darkness, The World is a Ghetto, Gypsy Man, The Cisco Kid are classic WAR anthems!!!
You forgot "Spill The Wine" An odd tune for it's day.

Scott Bushey said:
Ah yes, Cisco Kid, he was a friend of mine... Forgot about that, that is a great song.

My music preferences focus mainly in two categories, probably with 80% of my listening time falling into category #1, 10% in category #2, and the remainder in other music that doesn't fit in neatly with the rest.

1) Angry music with a strong sense of melody. Favorites include the Gits, NOFX, Pennywise. Better know bands in this category would include Weezer, Greenday, and The Offspring (which pretty much show a range of the popular bands in this category from light to hard, IMO). Of course this includes folks like the Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, etc... basically just all punk except for true hardcore bands that border on thrash metal. I also have a special place in my heart for "angry chick" music - from folks like Liz Phair (old stuff only), Joan Jett, the Donnas, and the whole group of Riot Grrl (L7, Bikini Kill, etc) bands. Nothing finer than an angry woman who isn't angry specifically at you. :thumbs: I enjoy almost any cross-over band that is "half-punk", including Punk-Ska bands like Sublime or Less than Jake, etc.

2) Bluegrass and country that doesn't suck ass (which excludes almost everything heard on my local country station, IMO... my apologies in advance to top-40 country fans). Favorites range from Steve Earle to our beloved man in black (everyone drink a whiskey to the Man), with lots of Hank Williams Sr (only senior - his spawn make me ill... :D ) mixed in. If it came from the hills, I probably like it - if it came from Nashville, I probably don't (though there are plenty of exceptions, but I'm generalizing).

I know I'm going to get booed here, but I cannot stand 70% of the stuff played on classic rock stations - and I find Led Zeppelin to be particularly droning. Hate hair metal of all variety as a rule, and enjoyed about 20% of the grunge era (e.g. Nirvana good, Pearl Jam bad... no idea why...)

I almost never go to concerts for music in the first category any more - even though my musical tastes never matured beyond those of an angst-ridden 14-year old boy - I certainly don't want to be around a bunch of them in real-life... ;) The Birchmere is a great local place to see music from category #2, wonderful place if you're ever in the DC or Northern Virginia area.

Ironically - when I was a 14-year old boy - I listened almost exclusively to classical music along with rock from the early 70's (Judas Priest, some Kiss, some Ozzy, etc). Product of having a mother who made us learn 3-4 instruments, and 5 older siblings with hand-me-down tunes from their eras... Seems as though my tastes are regressing...

Cheers,

- Oak