• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your First Humidor?

louich said:
Aint it hard to keep up with the invetory with all those different stash Chen? 
Honestly...these days I don't even bother.  I smoke what I happen to come across.  i only dig through all those damn boxes when I'm looking for something to give someone else.  

Nice way to do it man.

They are all going to be smoked one day anways! lol

Ordered my first 100ct humidor in '07 from Cheaphumidors.  Looked great online, came with scratches, dents, and absolutely horrendous alignment issues that I could see gaps from the sides.  Sent it back.  Kept the Drymistat tubes it came with though.

Like most others here, I would buy something when heading to the golf course or something like that.  Then 3 years ago my wife got me my first humi for x-mas.  It's a 50-75 ct. glass-top humi, I did research on how to season the humidor the joined here.  I still have the small humi (in addition to my wineador), and use it for accessory storage.

I don't really remember which one came first, but I bought some humidors that came with cigars. My friend and I bought one each and he was nice enough to get my initials on a brass plaque on mine. I have had probably 20-30 desk top humidors and have given a lot away after I started using coolers.

I bought a 200 capacity humidor from Thompsons 15 years ago. Gave it to my Dad soon after ( I outgrew it and went to coolers) and he still uses it.

Tall Paul said:
So with the conversation of "Your first real Cigar experience" I find myself wondering how you got to buying your first cigar humidor. 

After my wedding and enjoying the leftover 5er of the box of Ashton Imperials I wanted to get into cigars a little more than just going to the shop and grabbing a couple smokes for the golf course or BBQ. I started with a plastic jar humidor and a drimistat tube and that seemed to work pretty well. Fast forward to my one year anniversary my wife tells me she want so go get me some cigars for our anniversary so we travel over to the local b&m and I grab a selection of 10 cigars and I was happy as all hell and shocked. I then find her over looking at the Humidors and she says "why don't you get one of these boxes and get rid of the jar" Need less to say we walked out of the shop with a nice 50 count and my 10 cigars! Man I love my wife!

Paul
I still want to know how to got to the "aging vault" as you put it in the other thread.  Seriously, I want to know so that I can use that strategy with my wife.

I started smoking cigars in college and continued off and on afterwards.  Mostly Acids, and red dot Cohibas.  In 2006 my wife, she was my fiance at the time, and I got into a fight and she ended up buying me a cheap 20 ct humidor from the local department store as a way to bury the hatchet.  I didn't bother setting up the humidor because it didn't have instructions with it so it sat in the closet untouched for about three years.  Then after moving to my wife's hometown and away from my friends and family I decided I needed a hobby to help me stay sane.  I started searching the internet on how to set up a humidor and came across CP and the rest is history.

MrAnderson41 said:
So with the conversation of "Your first real Cigar experience" I find myself wondering how you got to buying your first cigar humidor. 

After my wedding and enjoying the leftover 5er of the box of Ashton Imperials I wanted to get into cigars a little more than just going to the shop and grabbing a couple smokes for the golf course or BBQ. I started with a plastic jar humidor and a drimistat tube and that seemed to work pretty well. Fast forward to my one year anniversary my wife tells me she want so go get me some cigars for our anniversary so we travel over to the local b&m and I grab a selection of 10 cigars and I was happy as all hell and shocked. I then find her over looking at the Humidors and she says "why don't you get one of these boxes and get rid of the jar" Need less to say we walked out of the shop with a nice 50 count and my 10 cigars! Man I love my wife!

Paul
I still want to know how to got to the "aging vault" as you put it in the other thread.  Seriously, I want to know so that I can use that strategy with my wife.

First years taxes when we bought our house we got a substantial tax return! She wanted a treadmill so we got a treadmill. She asked me what I want and i got the aging vault... My wife is very cool I treat her right and she treats me right. Now filling it up I blame CP everyone here is a bad influence!  :laugh:

I bought my first humidor over a year ago from a friend who had it sitting around his office still 
in the box.  It is quite large with two drawers. Not sure of the brand... never looked. He didn't 
like it and never used it. It is butt ugly I have to admit. Sort of a fake burl wood finish  , but 
cedar lined.  He said 50 bucks it yours and I bit.  Up to that point I was getting by with two 
small tupperdors and  fewer sticks.

So I took it home, seasoned it and put my sticks in it.  Its hard to find any cigar accessories 
where I live , but I found a reptile tank hygrometer at the pet store. I salt tested it and found 
it "close enough" given the alternative. This humidor RH has been rock solid since. 

I use the bottled humidifying crystals and it seems to work, the cigars are perfect and the humidor 
smell from about 200 sticks is amazing. 

Purchased back in 07, still have it sitting on my desk in the office.  I keep cigars for my buddies who don't really smoke cigars in here  :)

My buddy was getting married a while back and we went to a local B&M and got some cigars for all of the groomsmen, and had a blast drinking some bourbon and smoking a nice cigar.  Came home and started to research and joined CP, ended up getting a 100CT from an online retailer because I had read that 25-50 would be too small.  Still on the same humidor, but thinking that since I've kept interest this long and love it more and more with each cigar, a cooler may be in the works this summer.

gifted to me by a fine BOTL here on CP, have since gifted it forward....

Tim

Tupperware.  Actually, Rubbermaid, technically, from the grocery store.  Humidified with damp folded up paper towels!  :sign:

Then a woman I was dating got me a 50-count cherry finish "B&M standard issue" for Yule about ten years ago, and I used that until a BOTL on another forum gifted me a 300-count glasstop that I'm still using . . . with a coolerdor for the occasional overflow, when my budget allows me to have one.  :rolleyes:

Nephew has the cherry one now. 

~Boar

My first humidor was a dark cherry Daniel Marshall. It still one of my best desktops today. Love that humidor.

You always remember your first....

Mine was a cheapo 50 ct. glass top that I bought from CI when I didn't know any better.  I figured I'd never have enough cigars to fill it nor would I spend enough money on any to make that much of a difference.

Then I joined this community.  Now I still have that 50 ct. that I use for spill-over/yard 'gars, My 150 ct. Desktop that I put a select collection in and my coolerdor that holds the bulk of my collection.  Currently I'm looking into making a purchase of a larger cooler.  And so it goes!

First "humidor" was a tupperware container with cedar blocks on the bottom
My first real humidore
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_large-humidors_HUM-400FL.html

Just ordered this morning. Should hopefully have by middle of next week

HUM-400FL_2_.jpg

HUM-400FL_1_.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8gyOEltPQ

Rated to hold 400-500 cigars which should be plenty of room for me.

My first was a 100 or so count Hillsdale House Humidor and dedicated stand combo. For those who are not familiar, a long time ago they were a pretty popular before, and similar to, the older style Reed and Barton.humidors. One of the few of my numerous humidors that I would not sell. Very well made, great seal, and sentimental.

diapanos said:
First "humidor" was a tupperware container with cedar blocks on the bottom
My first real humidore
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_large-humidors_HUM-400FL.html

Just ordered this morning. Should hopefully have by middle of next week

HUM-400FL_2_.jpg

HUM-400FL_1_.jpg

Let me know what you think of the construction, seal and quality on that when you get it . . . I've been looking at it for awhile now!  

~Boar

My first humi was a ten count cheapy desktop model that I thought was big enough and didn't think I would be smoking that much. 

Diapanos they never hold what they say it holds so you might end up buying something bigger if you hang around these parts for a while. Nice humi but I would go nuts digging through for cigars. 

Make sure you get yourself a nice digital hygrometer and look to replace those two humidification devices. Maybe look into some beads if not you'll probably drive yourself nuts trying to keep the humidity right.