• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Zippo

Lemon

How bad is it to light a stick with a regular Zippo? I've read about different ways of lighting em, and a regular lighter isn't that good cause it supposedly ruins the flavor. Is this something only real experts notice?

I would never use one. Don't like the odor they give off. Just my personal preference.

I read somewhere not to use oil or wax based flames that a zippo lighter and matches give off. I always use a wooden match. The Zippo lighter can alter the taste of your fine smoke.

I have a feeling that only the most refined of palates can taste the lighter fluid in their smoke. Take this with a grain of salt :sign: ....But if you're just starting out then it really doesn't matter.

Many here use Zippo's without problems. Just let it burn for a few seconds before lighting.

Well, I was sort of hoping someone would say it's no biggie :p Cause I ordered a neat Zippo with a Jack Daniel's logo on it. Maybe some day I will know the difference myself.

What can I say? It's one of my favs, I saw this, I had to get it :love:

250JD_321.jpg

Like lucasbuck sez,

Light the lighter and let it go for a few seconds before lighting up cigar.

Lemon said:
Well, I was sort of hoping someone would say it's no biggie :p Cause I ordered a neat Zippo with a Jack Daniel's logo on it. Maybe some day I will know the difference myself.

What can I say? It's one of my favs, I saw this, I had to get it :love:
Now that baby looks nice! :thumbs: From what I've read, you can light up with a zippo and other fluid-based lighters as long as you try to minimize direct contact between the cigar and lighter. An example that I've read about is when someone douses their BBQ grill with lighter fluid and adds the steaks before the fluid is gone-yummy!!

Have you used the zippo and then wooden matches or butane lighters yet? Notice any differences? ??? ???

There is a Zippo insert you can buy to replace the standard one with a refillable butane lighter. It's been posted about here in the past (I bought one). Do a search for the thread if interested.

I've tried a regular cheap lighter, matches and butane lighter. I'm afraid I didn't notice any difference. I try to keep the flame far away, and draw while lighting (so the flame "bends" towards me).

Thx other1, I'll search for that thread to see what it's about.

other1 said:
There is a Zippo insert you can buy to replace the standard one with a refillable butane lighter. It's been posted about here in the past (I bought one). Do a search for the thread if interested.
A new product shown at the RTDA 2004 as noted by Steve Saka:

"The first is an item from the Blazer lighter folks. It is a torch lighter insert that fits directly into a traditional Zippo metal flip top case. Called the Z-plus and retailing for about $12."

Additional info:

ps7.jpg

Torch Lighter Insert from Blazer Products
The Z-plus Torch Lighter insert, manufactured by Blazer Products, is designed to retrofit the most popular lighter fluid-filled metal flip-top cases. Using the insert, smokers can transform their original lighter into a modern, butane-refillable, electric quartz ignition lighter with a windproof torch flame - perfect for lighting cigars, with no more flints and no more smelly, messy lighter fluid. The Z-plus insert easily slides into the existing case with no modification at all and can easily convert back and forth by simply swapping inserts. Customers will find that they can enjoy the feel and look of their favorite lighter as well as all the benefits of the Z-plus insert. The Z-plus insert retails for $9.95 and comes in attractive packaging aimed at promoting in-store sales.
Blazer Products, Farmingdale NY, Tel: (631) 694-5058, Fax: (631) 694-5063, Web: www.blazerproducts.com.
:thumbs: MMM

All I pretty much use is Zippos and I have never been able to notice any of the urban legend reason not to use one.

Butane insert for a Zippo? LMAO I freakin' HATE butane lighters almost as much as I hate bic-type lighters when you have to keep constant pressure on the button while you burn your thumb knuckle lighting your cigar.

I have four butane lighters and none of the GD things work right. :angry:

My other reason for not using expensive lighters is you're out a fair amount of money if you lose it. When I lose my Zippos, I find another one at a tag sale for a dollar or two and find thousands of them on eBay ;)

Most of you are probably more responsible that I am but I know myself all too well and if I ever spent $100.00+ on a lighter, it would be lost in less than a week.

Any idea when this "Z-Plus" is due for release? For no more than it costs, I'd try it out. It's not even on their website yet, as far as I can tell. ???

If you like that zippo look or can't wait for the new insert, I have been using this
LIGHTER as my primary for a couple of weeks now, Blows away my Colibri and Prometheus!

I use what I have on hand.
Have a colibri that I love [gift from my dad], a few TIGER torches [on eBay for ~5 ea.], and a zippo.

Like it has been said, some can taste the diff, some cannot. Personally, have yet to taste any real diff. I pref. torches as zippos will go out if it gets windy.