• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Great Smoked Salmon Faceoff!

I must say that I've enjoyed following this thread more than any other I've read on here in a very long time. Not that others arent good, but this one has it all! Good food, good smokes, good wine and good competition between two outstanding BOTLs! :thumbs:

What more could anyone want? :)

Good luck to you both in the judging! NorCal,you lucky focker! :p

No doubt, its going to get really good this weekend when the Judging begins. I can't wait to see pictures etc.

Good Times!

Hillbilly Steaks said:
Nice work swissy, it looks like you were enjoying yourself.

So did you leave the skin on the bottom side? That was something I really debated on, but in the end I decided to leave it on there. A lot of oils in that skin and I didn't want to take that away from the meat.
[snapback]289357[/snapback]​

If you can't have fun doing something, then you shouldn't do it! (my motto :laugh: )

As far as the skins, I smoke with them on, obviously, but I do pull the skins off as soon as I'm done smoking them. But the way that I smoke, the fat (brown layer between the skin and the 'pink meat') stays on and you realy lose nothing as that's where the essential oils are. I've had times where if the smoke wasn't done right, the skin would not peel off or it would be like a label that is permanent- no matter how hard you try to peel it off, it leaves chunks behind. And even tho my dogs think fish skin is the worlds best treat, I think it sucks... so yes, I peel it off (MUCH easier when it's warm BTW)

Daaaayum... hope the judges like SMOKE flavor... just opened the fridge and WOW... talk about powerful smoke smell. Mmmmm... I know what I'M having for breakfast... how 'bout y'all?? :laugh:

man is that good... I do looooooove the smoke.

F'ing showoff Jim. Smoked Porter, smoked salmon, snow and a nice cigar.

You suck.

The pictures look great and the methods both of our cooks have used looks like they have produced some marvelous smoked salmon.

I'm still selecting wines for the event and have even picked up a couple very special bottles of Syrah this week.

:cool:

bfreebern said:

You suck.
[snapback]289420[/snapback]​

but... but... but...
crying.gif

Swissy said:
bfreebern said:

You suck.
[snapback]289420[/snapback]​

but... but... but...
crying.gif

[snapback]289422[/snapback]​

I'm jealous is all :laugh:

NorCalCigarLover said:
The pictures look great and the methods both of our cooks have used looks like they have produced some marvelous smoked salmon.

I'm still selecting wines for the event and have even picked up a couple very special bottles of Syrah this week.

[snapback]289421[/snapback]​

Paired with a great cup of coffee after dinner...should be one hell of a wonderful evening!

MrJerry said:
NorCalCigarLover said:

Paired with a great cup of coffee after dinner...should be one hell of a wonderful evening!
[snapback]289435[/snapback]​

And with a cigar, and a touch of brandy ..... mmmmm. Sounds, and looks like the judges are in for a real treat!

Jack Straw said:
MrJerry said:
NorCalCigarLover said:

[snapback]289435[/snapback]​

And with a cigar, and a touch of brandy ..... mmmmm. Sounds, and looks like the judges are in for a real treat!
[snapback]289445[/snapback]​
the judges will truly be experiencing a labor of love. :love:..........................edited for clarity.

I'll be posting pictures of the event HERE for everyone's enjoyment. A buddy of mine drew the picture for the event this afternoon :laugh:

Edit: Hey Swissy, I hope you don't mind me using a few of your pictures.

NorCalCigarLover said:
I'll be posting pictures of the event HERE for everyone's enjoyment. A buddy of mine drew the picture for the event this afternoon :laugh:

Edit: Hey Swissy, I hope you don't mind me using a few of your pictures.

[snapback]289568[/snapback]​

Nice. What are you going to smoke for the event? Gonna post pictures of your tasting?

Hmmmmm ..... I think I'll smoke a Cohiba Siglo VI. Yup, I'll be posting pictures of the tasting event so everyone can enjoy.

That's GREAT!! I love the intial drawing... very cool. And no worries about any of my photos... use what you'd like.

ok... on another note, David - HEADS UP! DC# EQ454423462US ... tomorrow by noon! Please make sure someone is there to get it, or leave a note on the door to leave it if someone steps out!

Also, be well advised to locate a local Costco/Sam's Club/Warehouse type store, and stock up on crackers. LOTS of crackers... :whistling: there may be a few extra goodies in the box for your party!

JUST WAIT A MINUTE... before anyone accuses me of trying to buy off the judges (who, ME?!?) there is one bag of smoked salmon in there that says JUDGE ME. and only that one... the others are for 'after contest' comments only... I'm curious as to what people think of them, compared to the contest salmon.

Oh yeah...there might be something else in the box too! :laugh:

Swissy said:
That's GREAT!! I love the intial drawing... very cool. And no worries about any of my photos... use what you'd like.

ok... on another note, David - HEADS UP! DC# EQ454423462US ... tomorrow by noon! Please make sure someone is there to get it, or leave a note on the door to leave it if someone steps out!

Also, be well advised to locate a local Costco/Sam's Club/Warehouse type store, and stock up on crackers. LOTS of crackers... :whistling: there may be a few extra goodies in the box for your party!

JUST WAIT A MINUTE... before anyone accuses me of trying to buy off the judges (who, ME?!?) there is one bag of smoked salmon in there that says JUDGE ME. and only that one... the others are for 'after contest' comments only... I'm curious as to what people think of them, compared to the contest salmon.

Oh yeah...there might be something else in the box too! :laugh:
[snapback]289582[/snapback]​

David - you're in for a nice treat! I know the contents and can be bought off :laugh:

DAMN, this has been enjoyable to read. Everytime I see Swissy's pics of Alaska I get misty eyed. Wish I was back there fishing for good ole salmon! /sigh

Nice Pics though! Be interesting to see who wins.

Oh crud ..... time to hit Costco for some crackers :laugh:

Update: Hillbilly Steaks Smoked Salmon showed up in great shape yesterday afternoon.

Edit: working from home today so I can be here for the box from Swissy.

NorCalCigarLover said:
Oh crud ..... time to hit Costco for some crackers :laugh:

Update: Hillbilly Steaks Smoked Salmon showed up in great shape yesterday afternoon.

Edit: working from home today so I can be here for the box from Swissy.

[snapback]289842[/snapback]​

Got a truck, or one you can borrow from a friend? You'll need the room for all the crackers yer gonna need!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: