• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1980's La Escepcion de Jose Gener - Longo

atuck

ANEJORE
Here is another very interesting vintage cigar. These are La Escepcion de Jose Gener Longos from the 1980's. I understand why they call them Longos. They are about 7" x 33. I bought them because the MRN states them as being very strong even with thier age. I did not find them to be very strong. Flavorful, yes. But strong, no.

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01598.jpg

As I smelled the foot I sensed earth and grass. The prelight draw was very similar, did not seem to promise a strong smoke as I hoped for. Upon lighting the aroma was very nice but in a way that I can't really describe. I am still a newbie at these. The 1st flavors I tasted were cocoa beans, nuts and bread. These flavors dominated the 1st inch.

Into the 2nd inch and beyond I start to pick up slight hints of pepper w/ a more toasty bread flavor. There is also an odd spice flavor that is very pleasant. This cigar is very smooth. I even inhaled a puff to see how harsh it would be. It was only very slighty harsh. Certainly not what I was expecting. And still at this point the aroma is just incredible though.

DSC01599.jpg

Reaching the 1/2 way point the cigar starts to develope a tartness to it. Maybe lemon or orange? The pepper also increases. The cigar is starting to pick up some strength now. There is a flavor coming into play that reminds me of bell peppers but not at the same time. I guess I would attribute that to complexity.

The flavors of nuts and toasted bread are still dominant. But as I get good and into the 2nd 1/2 the cigar takes on an almost pastry type of flavor - kind of like a bakery bear claw w/out the almonds. During, I'd say, the 4th inch or so I get a hint of cinamon that certainly compliments the bear claw flavor.

DSC01603.jpg

In the 5th inch this cigar take a wild turn. I would call the flavors, at this point, lemon pepper and burnt orange. Sounds strange but it tastes kind of good.

The last inch and into the nub it becomes slightly sweet and slightly bitter. The finish was long and thick w/ a definite tingle on my lips and tongue.

DSC01604.jpg

Overall impression -- Very tasty stick! Not what I expected at all but certainly not a disappointment. Since I have really never tasted flavors like this in a cigar before, this one will stay in my memory for sure. :thumbs:

Nice review and pics once again atuck, thanks for taking us on the ride.

One of my fav's! Nice pick up Alan and as always great review!

Another great review! :thumbs:

I really enjoy these Alan, please keep 'em coming!!

Nicely written Alan. The subtle flavors in a well aged cigar can be difficult to describe, you did a very nice job of that. As a matter of fact I may have put on a couple pounds reading your review. Thanks for the review and the pictures.

Doug

Thanks for another great review Atuck.
It's wonderful to read these reviews and see the pictures of these vintage cigars.

Another great review, Alan - thanks a million for the pictures and great descriptions of these wonderful vintage smokes. I really appreciate the chance to "share" your great finds..... :thumbs:

Thanks again - B.B.S.

Nicely done Alan.

These are a great strong slim cigar. I just never fully enjoyed the few I have smoked, I think it is due to the smaller ring gauge.

Great tasting though. Thanks for the pics and the review.

Nicely done. You ought to start up a new thread linking to each individual review thread. These are worthy of consolidating for easy reference and enjoyment.

Wilkey

Wow, Alan :thumbs:

Sounds like you had an incredible experience with that cigar. The pictures and your description of the experience are fantastic. Thanks for allowing all of us to watch you enjoy that smoke (no... seriously). :D

said in a Homer Simpsonesque voice, "mmmmmmm.... Bear Clawsssss." :cool:

The best cigars I smoked at the last LOL Herf. This is a cigar that needs to appreciated as you are smoking it. Give it your attention and it will give you memories.

Thank God you've finally taken your sticks out of the barnyard! :sign:

Seriously though, great review Alan. Thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

Thanks Alan, I always enjoy going for the ride that these reviews take me on. :thumbs:

Thanks for the review Alan. I look forward to smoking vintage cigars one day my self.

Awesome review. I have one from 1978 that I plan on smoking soon.
This review makes me want to smoke it today!!
I keep hearing how this is a suprisingly full/complex cigar for such a small RG.

is that a Padron 40th Anniversay Hand Painted Box I see? ... is that two?

you know what, I don't wanna know.