• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2008 GABF: October 9-11

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
Yeah I know it's still 4 months away, but Alex asked me to help find him a hotel and in the process I realized they are filling up quickly.

I found one within walking distance that was less than $100 a night, here it is.

Ramada Denver Midtown - Rooms starting @ $89/night.
2601 Zuni Street
Denver, CO 80211 US
Phone: 303-433-6677
Fax: 303-455-1530

** Also, please chime in if you are planning to attend. We are planning some weekend HERF activities and a general idea of the number of attendees would be very helpful. :thumbs:

Im in.

Should be booking rooms and airfare this week.

Sweet!

Heres the general plan, let me know what you guys think...

The event opens on Thursday the 9th and I would prefer to hit either that session or Friday night the 10th as Saturday usually turns into a big frat boy party.

So if that works we are planning a big HERF with all of the local cigar guys on Saturday the 11th.

Thoughts?

I'll be there, but my daughters birthday is the 12th, so I'll have to drive back the 11th.

I'll be there, but my daughters birthday is the 12th, so I'll have to drive back the 11th.

Sounds good man, we will have plenty of time to tour the local shops and smoke some sticks!

She wants to check out Denver/ But I told her that I would only be doing beer/cigar related things and not site seeing and or shopping. I will see what her final decision is.

Vacation time has been granted. Just need to find some cash for the hotel!! :sign:

SO be sure to look for some sales soon guys! :sign:

I would love more info on the actual event. Thanks

I would love more info on the actual event. Thanks

Here is a link to the official site - LINKY

And here is some info from last years fest..

What you should know about the GABF?

GABF visitors enjoy one-ounce beer samples from the fest’s breweries. These breweries are arranged on the festival floor by regions of the country, giving beer lovers a walking tour of the nation’s beer-blessed landscape. Many of the booths are staffed by the brewers themselves. Over 41,000 beer enthusiasts from Colorado, the US and around the world attended last year’s GABF. The 2007 GABF will cover 188,000 square feet of the Colorado Convention Center.

The GABF also hosts one of the world’s largest and most prestigious tasting competitions. Over 100 professional beer judges from the United States and abroad evaluate over 2,800 beers entered by more than 470 domestic breweries. Gold, silver and bronze medals in 75 beer-style categories will be awarded October 13 at the 1:30 p.m. awards ceremony held during the Members Only Tasting Session.

The GABF’s popular food & beer pairing seminars will feature an A-list of America’s brewers will join local and national celebrity chefs for demonstrations on how to cook with beer, and pair different styles of beer with various dishes.

I might be able to make it on the 10th. Looks like fun :thumbs:

Ill be out Tr-Sun.

Thursday sounds like a good day to hit up festival.
Friday Micro-brewery crawl/ Smoke Cigars? And a good steak dinner!!!
Saturday full fledged herf

Sounds like a good time to me! :thumbs:

Ill be out Tr-Sun.

This sounds like the plan to me but we can of course adjust the schedule if there is need..

Thursday Night - Festival
Friday - Beer Crawl, hit some local shops, evening at the tap house (they release crazy shit during GABF. Last year was 04 Stone RIS and 05 Double Bastard)
Saturday - Full fledged HERF with all the local cigar brothers at Casa De Matt or other venue.

Ill be out Tr-Sun.

This sounds like the plan to me but we can of course adjust the schedule if there is need..

Friday - Beer Crawl, hit some local shops, evening at the tap house (they release crazy shit during GABF. Last year was 04 Stone RIS and 05 Double Bastard)
Saturday - Full fledged HERF with all the local cigar brothers at Casa De Matt or other venue.

You better start wining and dining my wife. ???

For those of you Whiskey lovers, there was this brew called Colorado Whiskey that was presented to us in Vegas recently. Tasty dram after the first initial sips.

FYI Guys.

I just booked a room.

If anyone wants to split the cost of the room Let me know. (rates in Vegas are cheaper..ouch!!)
gallery_1349_634_191.gif

-Alex

That works for me. Sucks I won't be able to HERF on Saturday, but that just means we'll have to do it up on Thursday and Friday.

BTW, my brother and I are probaby gonna hit some of the FoCo breweries on Wednesday if any of you are gonna be around and want to join us.

Well, I have conditional permission to host the Herf here Saturday. There are two conditions that have been set down by the wifey unit. First and formost, there can be no "Mastercard Moments". Check your Power Rangers at the door, and stay the hell out of mine. :rolleyes:

Second, She adamantly refuses to let this happen until someone gives her a satisfactory explanation of why it is called a "Herf". I'll send out a little care package to the first one to convince her their explanation is valid. BTW, "because" has been tried and was not sufficient.

Assuming we can meet the above criteria, this will be an outdoor event. Mid October weather in this area ranges from 25-80 degrees, bright and sunny-driving snow. Dress appropriately :whistling: :laugh: :laugh:

The term is a derivitive of several languages. To better understand the true meaning of the word one must realize that language is a changing thing; it moves about with various social structures, from land to land.

The Greek derivation is "erphos" from "eos", meaning 'skin'. This is further by a review of the Greek words "Terphos" and Sterphos." This is actually only the begining of the common, or present usage of the term.

An example of the way language travels, and is bastardized, is to be seen in the American Indian Language of Taino. In this language the use of the word "Hura" means wind. The proper pronunciation if akin to "Herf", actually *hurrof*.

Now, when you review the Greek's meanderings throughout the Ancient World, you will understand that they travelled to the British Isles. Any stury can tell you this. The Welsh word we would look to is "Herfeiddio", a verb which means to dare, to be brave, and to defy.

Further North and a bit Eastward we must review the Dutch word "Herfst" and the Anglo-Saxon derivitive "Haerfest". These words refer to the mnal season, or the end of summer.

The end of summer is when they harvested the tobacco leaves. See also, the Greek word "Apora", meaning 'end-of-summer'.

Brave souls (Herfeiddiols), would take the freshly harvestd leaves (Erphos=skin=tobacco leaves), at the harvest (Herfst/Haerfest), and smoke them. Somehow the word found it's way into America, pre-Columbus.

The Taino people, simple and naive as they were, took all the above meanings and rolled them into one, thus "Hura" meaning 'wind'.review of the lore of the Taino finds this word used as both a verb and a noun. As a noun it has the simple meaning of "wind", as we use it, today. As a verb, however, it means:"he-who-harvests-the-thin-tobacco-leaves-of-harvest-time-and-smokes- it."

I hope that my painstakingly long search for the true meaning of Herf finally puts the damn thing to rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1827 a man named Emmanuel Herfiger planted a bit of Cuban seed in his small backyard plot in Philadelphia. He lived near Independence Hall, it just so happens.

Old Manny vowed not to smoke another stogie until his seed grew, was harvested, aged, and rolled into what would appear today to look like a Robusto.

Well, the day before he was to smoke his first home-grown cigar happened to be July 4th.

At that time fireworks were fairly primitive things and there was of course no warning written on the package they came in. Come to think of it, they didn't come in any package at all.

Anyway, Manny's 11 year old son, who his friend's called "Herf," the way we would call someone Smitty, suggested that Manny not wait the day and instead light some 4th of July fireworks with the first of his cigars.

"Sounds good to me," said Manny, lighting up that first Robusto with the forerunner of a match. I think it was a stick with some wax on the end that one stuck into a fire. Anyway, the thing lit up like an LGC on a Blazer, prompting Manny to take two or three puffs. Man, he was in cigar smokers heaven! The damn thing tasted like it had been grown, aged, and hand rolled in Cuba! Then he made his fateful mistake... He picked up what we would today call a Cherry Bomb; one with a short fuse. Manny lit the damn thing and before he could get it clear of his cigar, never mind his face, all was lost.

Well, at Manny's wake his wife Lula (some say it was spelled Loola, records are scarce,) insisted that Manny's friends smoke his cigars and drink his whiskey. (Notice that's whiskey with an 'e,' not that other stuff.) This they did, spreading the word of what a great guy Manny had been. And so, to this day, when you sit around smoking a good cigar, perhaps with drink in hand, you will forever owe a debt of gratitude to the man, who after his death, was responsible for coining the term "herf."

Herf
A lively gathering of cigar-smoking comrades who meet in a restaurant, club, cigar store or home to share their appreciation of fine cigars.

---------------------------

The term "Herf" used to describe the smoking of a cigar comes from the 1960's in America when many cigar smokers listened to Herf Alpert and the Tijuana Brass while smoking their favorite stogie. The music was latinesque and thus provided an atmosphere of semi-cuban reminiscence. Soon, cigar smokers began to say things like "I was with the Brass last night and the Herf was so good I thought I was in Havana." Thus, we can all thank Herf Alpert for his influence on 'garbonics.

-------------------------------