• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2008 GABF: October 9-11

Well, I have conditional permission to host the Herf here Saturday. There are two conditions that have been set down by the wifey unit. First and formost, there can be no "Mastercard Moments". Check your Power Rangers at the door, and stay the hell out of mine. :rolleyes:

Second, She adamantly refuses to let this happen until someone gives her a satisfactory explanation of why it is called a "Herf". I'll send out a little care package to the first one to convince her their explanation is valid. BTW, "because" has been tried and was not sufficient.

Assuming we can meet the above criteria, this will be an outdoor event. Mid October weather in this area ranges from 25-80 degrees, bright and sunny-driving snow. Dress appropriately :whistling: :laugh: :laugh:

So who won the care package?? :whistling:

Well, I have conditional permission to host the Herf here Saturday. There are two conditions that have been set down by the wifey unit. First and formost, there can be no "Mastercard Moments". Check your Power Rangers at the door, and stay the hell out of mine. :rolleyes:

Second, She adamantly refuses to let this happen until someone gives her a satisfactory explanation of why it is called a "Herf". I'll send out a little care package to the first one to convince her their explanation is valid. BTW, "because" has been tried and was not sufficient.

Assuming we can meet the above criteria, this will be an outdoor event. Mid October weather in this area ranges from 25-80 degrees, bright and sunny-driving snow. Dress appropriately :whistling: :laugh: :laugh:

So who won the care package?? :whistling:

Nobody yet. She hasn't even read the responses, but I have and frankly Alex, if you win this one I'm gonna have to look for a new wife. :laugh:

I was hoping for a few more responses. If she doesn't buy either the the previously posted responses, I'll make an announcement in the lobby to get some more entrys.

Because it's hard to say anything else with a cigar in your mouth.

Herf is a term made up by a mass of drunken cigar smokers to describe drinking and smoking in mass.

-Rob

THIS SITE seems like it provides a plausible etymology, although some of our more uh, experienced members may be better able to confirm whether the word was widely used prior to the mid-90s.

I'm not sure whether your wife will buy an explanation revolving around a man named "Prince of Skeeves" though.

Originally it was a gathering of a bunch of farmers out in the cow fields, who smoked meadow muffins in their pipes.

One fellow said, 'let's get together by the heifers and have a smoke'.

After a while the wives caught on and every time they heard the men say they were going to the 'heifers' - well let's say the women put a stop to it.

After not spending time with the heifers for a while, one of the more colorful (drunken) members of the heifers meet-up group stumbled along and while wanting to go to a meet-up at the heifers, he mispronounced the word and said,
"Laaaat'sss goo ta the HERF....eeers!

And that's how the term HERF came about!

My wife is a librarian and I put her onto the task this afternoon. She couldn't find any legitimate etymologies in any respectable sources. Her best guess is that it has something to do with the Old English word hærfest (click) that is the same root for our word harvest.

None of us have any freaking idea, but we're willing to make some chit up if Ann'll let us HERF on the patio!

So basicly, there's thousands of us running around using a word that doesn't even have a Wiki definition. OK, I'll accept that. At this point, someone better make up a good story.

Right now, her biggest issue is that herf sounds like something very similar to a mastercard moment involving your first Power Ranger on an almost empty gut.

Thursday is a go! for me 100%

OK, I just booked my hotel and will get tickets shortly for Thursday. I was too slow on the hotel and the Holiday Inn near the convention center must already be filled, so I had to get a room at one that's 3 miles away. Hopefully they have a shuttle or it's going to be a long drunken walk. :laugh:

We are on vacation that week. I may have to talk the wife in to a little road trip. She does have family in CO, so I could dump her off there and head on to the good stuff. :thumbs:

We are on vacation that week. I may have to talk the wife in to a little road trip. She does have family in CO, so I could dump her off there and head on to the good stuff. :thumbs:

Well played sir!!

Yep, let's rock the festival on Thursday and hit Falling Rock later that night. Rumors are starting about what kegs will be unveiled there, its going to kick ass.

I'm about 50/50 right now...damn I really wanna go to! I'll know within a few weeks if its a go or a no-go! Let ya know ASAP

OK, I just booked my hotel and will get tickets shortly for Thursday. I was too slow on the hotel and the Holiday Inn near the convention center must already be filled, so I had to get a room at one that's 3 miles away. Hopefully they have a shuttle or it's going to be a long drunken walk. :laugh:

Justin, did you call the Ramada Inn Midtown that I listed? I just checked and they still have a few rooms available for $89 a night, free shuttle (2 mile radius), internet and breakfast. Its about 2 miles from the convention center so a little better.

Justin, did you call the Ramada Inn Midtown that I listed? I just checked and they still have a few rooms available for $89 a night, free shuttle (2 mile radius), internet and breakfast. Its about 2 miles from the convention center so a little better.

The other one was free because my brother had points, so we'll make it work. Thanks for the info though.