• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2nd Every Four Years World Cup Contest

obmike

The World Cup 2014 starts June 12th. I'm trying to see if there is enough interest in doing a pool. If we could get a total of 8 entries, we could do a random draw for groups A-H. You would get 4 teams in your group. We could pay for 1st and 2nd place. As far as stakes, I thought maybe a fiver with a total value of about $50, with the losers paying the winners directly. As far as eligibility, if you qualify to post for sale in the BST forum, you would qualify to enter the contest.

We did this in 2010 and it was fun.  
Mike 

Members:
1. obmike
2. modo22
3. thinde
4. chiefmd
5. jonesy
6. tall paul
7. brickhouse
8. ironpeddler (thanks for filling up the spots!)

Good excuse to watch some of the games. Of course I'm in.

I'm not playing, but this seems as good a place as any.

Forza Azzurri

I don't fully understand the format you're suggesting, but I love the World Cup and would definitely be in if you have a spot.

Devil Doc said:
I'm not playing, but this seems as good a place as any.

Forza Azzurri

Nah......Go Deutschland!!!
germany.jpg

Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans.
Rugby is a hooligans games played by gentleman.

As a ex-rugger, this is all communist round ball to me.

Enjoy gentleman, but lets not waste too much time on this.  We're Americans. We DON"T DO soccer except for PE.

<joking>

At times like these, I'm a hyphenated American. I want to at least root for a possible contender.

Doc

I don't qualify for this contest (I don't think), but I'd like to apply some mathematical formula to choose my team if I could!  See the attached write up a guy did for it (at least for the team rankings).  Pretty interesting, at least for a mathematician such as myself.  We're always looking for ways to predict something!

http://www.science4all.org/le-nguyen-hoang/a-model-of-football-games/

I think Mike's math last World Cup worked freaking perfectly. I'd say stay with that :)

The warriors:

Members:
1. obmike
2. modo22
3. thinde
4. chiefmd
5. jonesy
6. tall paul
7. brickhouse
8. ironpeddler 

There are 8 groups A-H [FIFA].  I had to think of a random way to assign groups and I started to thing of how the use to do the number in the old days. (That is the precursor to the daily lottery) We will use the close value of the DJIA on Friday, June 6th to assign teams. We will start with the farthest right digit and look for the first digit that is in the range 1-8 (for the number of participants). That will be A group. The rest of the groups will just follow after that. For example, on Thursday (5/29), the DJIA closed at 16,698.74. The rightmost digit is 4 and is in the range of 1-8. So person 4 (chiefmd) would have got the A group. Then we just keep going... person 5 (jonesy) would have got the B group, person 6 (tall paul) would have got the C group and so on. If the rightmost digit isn't in the range 1-8, we go to the next digit to the left until we get one that is in the range 1-8.

Again, we are using the close of the DJIA on Friday (June 6) [USA Today Money]. After the close, I'll add a post that shows what group everyone has.

Placing will be determined by the highest placing team in your group.

The folks who finish 3rd and 4th will send a fiver worth approximately $50 to the person that finishes 2nd. The folks that finish 5th to 8th will send a fiver worth approximately $50 to the person that finishes first.

Sorry it is so complicated, but I had to come up with a way to randomly assign the groups. 

edit to remove weird formatting.