• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A. Fuente Anejo 46

Succubus

I decided to smoke this cigar that I have had sitting in my humidor for about a year and a half now. I picked up 5 of these in June of 2014. Of the Anejos, I chose this vitola because it was the perfect size for me; it fit perfectly between my lips without causing a strain on my jaw ;):D The first one I tried fresh and realized it needed a little down time to evolve into something I may like more, so I put them at the bottom of the humidor and waited till now to try another.

I’m smoking this outside where the weather is in the low 50’s. It has been raining for the past few days, so the air is crisp with a very light breeze.

Prelight: The Anejo 46 is a very dark cigar. The wrapper is almost black with almost no sheen. There are a few small veins in the wrapper, but nothing I was worried about. The cigar is very firm to the touch (just the way I like it ;);)), hard actually with no soft spots. There is a barnyard and hay aroma off the cigar with a subtle sweetness. I clip the cap and cold draw where I get more of that barnyard, earth, and hay. As firm as this cigar is, there is no resistance with the flow or air through the cigar.

image.jpeg

First 1/3: I toast the foot of the cigar and am overwhelmed with the earthiness of the tobacco. There is not as much smoke as I had expected. There is a hint of sweetness mixed with earthiness and wood. I also pick up on light pepper or spice. The volume of smoke is increasing and becomes richer, lingering in the medium to full body range at this point. The white ash hangs on for over an inch until I knock it off to avoid having it on my lap :eek:

image.jpeg

Second 1/3: As I get into the second third of this cigar, the woodiness and earthiness are still the predominate flavors. I can taste the sweetness trying to come through, though it is being overpowered by the fresh damp earth. The pepper is coming in a little stronger, but still being overpowered by the wood and the damp earth again. The burn has been near perfect on this cigar, the smoke is heavy and lingers, but not nearly the volume expected for the draw that I am getting. Still a medium to full bodied smoke.

image.jpeg

Final 1/3: As I enter the final third of this cigar, the strength really picks up. It is becoming a little harsh and bitter at this point. The damp earth has subsided and the woody characteristics are coming out. I am beginning to pick up hints of burnt coffee and unrefined chocolate. The pepper and spice are blending more now with the burnt coffee and chocolate. The burn is still amazingly sharp, with a solid white ash that seems to hang on for dear life. The smoke is getting thicker, and as I draw it in, the volume is finally improving as I get closer to the end.

image.jpeg

Conclusion: This cigar definitely needs a few more years of down time. It’s not as refined of a cigar as I like, though it was the perfect size for me(that's what she said :D:p). The burn and construction were amazing. Overall, the flavors were not really for me. I’d be interested to see how these are in a few more years. I hope the flavors soften and allow for more of the subtle notes in the cigar to come out.

Nicely done, Bri! I'm hit and miss with Anejos, if I smoke one, it will be a 46. I haven't smoked one in several years, so don't remember much of the profile. What does come to mind is that I can get a Raisin like sweetness from them, and an occasional impression of Anise.
I prefer both this, and opus, fresh in the thinnest ring ga.
I really like the photos too. Can see the cigar easily as the focal point.

Last edited:
Nicely done, thanks for the review.

Nice review. Anejo's are a unique animal with a very distinctive flavor profile. 48's and 49's were always my favorite in the line. With a few years on them, they mellow considerably and a rather enjoyable.....if you like the flavor profile. Some do, some don't.....

nice... love me some aged Anejo. more of a 50 fan, but not met any I did not like.

Nice review, but chocolate? Listen, if cigars truly tasted like chocolate, my wife would be eating them.

Doc
How sure are you that she isn't, Doc? :) Great review Bri! Three years box age is optimum for the Anejo 46, IMHO. Hell yeah a cigar can taste like chocolate! Even predominantly so.

How sure are you that she isn't, Doc? :) Great review Bri! Three years box age is optimum for the Anejo 46, IMHO. Hell yeah a cigar can taste like chocolate! Even predominantly so.
Perceptions vary.

Doc

Very good review. The Anejo is one of my favorite cigars with the 46 being my favorite in that series. I can't say that I have ever had a bad Anejo (knock on wood). It is really hard for me to put them back for age as well. I think the max age I ever made it to was about 8 months, then fired it up.

definitely start turning for the better after 3 years. the first couple of years had me scratching my head on why so many people rave about anejos. then at the 3 year mark it's like a lightbulb turning on.