• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Like Button for posts?

Rob_k

If it ain't Scottish...it's crap!
Hey Rod and gang, i am sure this has been brought up b4, but any chance of a like button for individual posts? I don't know the IT stuff involved, is it tricky or taxing on resources?

1 other user has liked this post

I brought this up before and it would also be cool to tag people in posts that they get a notification for. Since everyone doesn't read every post.

Paul

CP, in my opinion is a better way to interact than just "liking" a post or comment. You are forced to read, interact, and either respond, comment, elaborate, or state you are in agreement or disagreement and why. A "like" is great, but having the detail provided here at CP makes it unique.

Just my .02

Happy smoking

C

CMontoya79 said:
CP, in my opinion is a better way to interact than just "liking" a post or comment. You are forced to read, interact, and either respond, comment, elaborate, or state you are in agreement or disagreement and why. A "like" is great, but having the detail provided here at CP makes it unique.

Just my .02

Happy smoking

C

Very well said.  I agree with everyone else, there is no reason for a "like" button here.

Paul's idea of tagging someone might be interesting though.

I find myself looking for a like button when I read stuff. Sick
I "like" the idea but you fellas bring up valid points. In this instant gratification society we live in, it's still refreshing to come here and read things written in proper grammar. A like button might create more non content.

Tagging someone as Paul suggested might be a good suggestion though.

Ok......I do get the better interaction here on CP.... twas just a thought.

whopper said:
I prefer CP to not be Facebook or the Yahoo comment sections. 

^
this

BigBear said:
I prefer CP to not be Facebook or the Yahoo comment sections. 

^
Amen!!
 Just playing Devils Advocate.....but how are these post creating any more content that "Liking" and post would?

I love the interaction here, but I think it would nice to show that a post stood out to you without having to quote and type "like" or "this" or "right" or "FTW" or what ever one word reply comes to mind.

This Place will never be FaceBook, there are to many people here that truly have something to say, it is what makes this community great! Content will not go away just becasue there is a "like" button, if you think that, you might not truly understand how great the membership is here.

Either way, This is my Cigar Home on the Internet, buttons or no...I will always come back to the house.....

Tim

I can take it a step further and enable topic ratings. It will allow people to rate topics, and display a star rating near the title. I've considered doing this, however I just can't truly justify the benefit.  People may start skipping threads that aren't rated 5 stars, and then miss valuable information. 

Facebook is good for some people and scenarios, however I refuse to let them be the trend setter for standards. I do appreciate the feedback, I just can't justify it being relevant to our community. 

BTW - there is a facebook like button at the bottom of each thread. So you can like CP through facebook if you like. :D

And . . . there's the time-honored, traditional CP "like" button, labeled "Reply."   :whistling:

It's slightly more work, though.  You hit it, then click  :thumbs:  or type "^ this" and then click "Post."  :sign:

~Boar

Don't get so hung up on "Like" being from Facebook. Evaluate the option for what it could potentially offer here, regardless of how it's implemented elsewhere.

That being said, I don't see the benefit. It may be a little cleaner than "^this!" replies, but it could also lead to people just taking the easy "Like" way out instead of contributing a useful comment.

-John

I don't see a like button or a rating system being necessary, or beneficial at all.    What I post isn't always popular, but it's my opinion.  As long as I'm not out of line I could frankly care less if someone likes it, or wants to give me a 1 star or 5 stars. 

I think it actually runs the risk of creating more issues, and drama.  Someone makes a negative post about a board member, or a cigar manufacturer and it gets 15 likes,  that person gets even more offended that other people agree with the posters opinion, they feel the need to repond, then 10 people like their response, and it just keeps fueling the fire.   I have a "like" button in my head.  If I read something and like it, I think "hey, that's a good point/comment/info."  For example, anytime Clint posts something I think "geez, what an idiot."   I hope there isn't anyone here so in need of acceptance that they are looking at a like count or a star rating for justification.

Bsneed51 said:
I don't see a like button or a rating system being necessary, or beneficial at all.    What I post isn't always popular, but it's my opinion.  As long as I'm not out of line I could frankly care less if someone likes it, or wants to give me a 1 star or 5 stars. 

I think it actually runs the risk of creating more issues, and drama.  Someone makes a negative post about a board member, or a cigar manufacturer and it gets 15 likes,  that person gets even more offended that other people agree with the posters opinion, they feel the need to repond, then 10 people like their response, and it just keeps fueling the fire.   I have a "like" button in my head.  If I read something and like it, I think "hey, that's a good point/comment/info."  For example, anytime Clint posts something I think "geez, what an idiot."   I hope there isn't anyone here so in need of acceptance that they are looking at a like count or a star rating for justification.
I can only imagine the shit that's in your head.

The members here are adults. They have the freedom to say what ever they want on what ever comment they choose. A like button will make it too easy to just be a bystander instead of a participant. I enjoy other views / opinions of posts. Rod created a great site here that only has one requirement.....participate like an educated adult. I for one enjoy that format.