• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Little Help

lucasbuck

Sheriff Buck
I met this very nice German guy in my club last night. We drank a lot of beer, played a lot of pool and smoked a lot of great cigars. Of course since my buddy and I are usually the only cigar smokers in the whole joint I had a limited supply on hand but fortunately did have a few extras just in case. My German friend is a regular Havana man but didn't bring any with him. He's here for a week and wants me to hook him up with some of my stock. Here is my question. He wants to pay me but I don't want to take his money. How best to handle this prickly situation? I was thinking of giving him a dozen or so Havanas plus a handful of premium domestics. I'm afraid if I lay a bundle like that on him he'll not accept them without payment. Should I just give him a half dozen of my best and leave it at that? It was all I could do to give him a couple last night without taking his money. Thanks everyone.

Maybe if you cut the amount down, say 3 ISOMs and 3-4 domestics he'd be more agreeable? He likely doesn't want to be seen as mooching on a new acquaintance.

Is he only here for a short time? If he's living here, maybe you could set up a trading schedule?

Not sure what to tell you. But if you give me the name of the club and a few months to learn german, Well...we can talk :sign:

Since he's German, he probably has a lot of access to ISOMs at descent prices. Give him an armful and when he tries to pay, refuse. Then just happen to have a business card handy with your address and say, "Look Mr. German, if you feel so strongly about it, send me a care package when you get home."

Problem solved.

good idea sd!
btw, i'm of german lineage, does that count?
sprechen sie deutsche? :p
sprechen sie havana? :lookup:

lucasbuck said:
I met this very nice German guy in my club last night. We drank a lot of beer, played a lot of pool and smoked a lot of great cigars. Of course since my buddy and I are usually the only cigar smokers in the whole joint I had a limited supply on hand but fortunately did have a few extras just in case. My German friend is a regular Havana man but didn't bring any with him. He's here for a week and wants me to hook him up with some of my stock. Here is my question. He wants to pay me but I don't want to take his money. How best to handle this prickly situation? I was thinking of giving him a dozen or so Havanas plus a handful of premium domestics. I'm afraid if I lay a bundle like that on him he'll not accept them without payment. Should I just give him a half dozen of my best and leave it at that? It was all I could do to give him a couple last night without taking his money. Thanks everyone.
Bring 6 cigars for him. When he offers to buy them, tell him to just buy the beer for the night. Problem solved.

Emo

Both SD and Emo had excellent ideas. I think Emo's might be a little better and gives him a better "out" not to appear as a mooch and to genuinely show his gratitude and new friendship.

Sam

craig
i agree with all of the above...give him a choice...buy the beers tonight or send a care package from germany...as long as he knows you dont wish to exchange cash.
dont forget to give him the "cigarpass" address and explain that he could (probably) sppell in engrish as good as the rest of us.we may end up with a lifetime member from germany.

derrek :)

Thanks for all the great input everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out. And I will deifinitely tell him about CP. He would be a great addition.

Du muBt nicht mit dem Gedanken spielen.
Gibt ihm sechs Zigarren. Er wollen alle Bier bezahlen.
:thumbs:

(You should not toy with the idea.
Give him 6 cigars. He will buy all the beer.)

and my parents wanted me to take Spanisch.
Das ist sehr lustig!

I lived in Germany for 13 years and they a proud of thier beer. I definitely like the idea of cigars for beers and the cigars for gift pack is also cool. Your new friend might start sending you German beers from his part of the country and throw in a few good ceegars with it. :thumbs:

man, your a helluva guy there LB.
i was at a bar i used to frequent and went to
the cigar case to purchase one. i noticed among the
usual assortments of dominis and hondos was a
box of el rey del mundo ISOMs. i realized these
must be the owners private stash and exclaimed
upon seeing them"man, i want one of those!" jokingly
of course. the waitress said"okay" and started to get
one to sell me! i told her she should probably check
with the owner because they were more than likely not for
sale. the owner then came over and said" i can't sell you
those, that would be illegal." i told him i realized that and
wasn't actually trying to buy one, i was just admiring his
taste, and that he should inform his waitress that those
weren't for sale before she sold off his stash :D .
his reply was "oh, okay" and he walked away. that was the
end of it. so i bought a CAO and went about my business.
but i was thinking later that had i been in his place i would
have probably said(since he knows me and knows i'm not
a fed)"i can't sell you one but why don't we clip a couple and
talk about ceegars for awhile"
kinda like you did with that german fellow.
i guess we can't all be generous and neighbourly though :lookup:
i had dropped alot of $$$ inhis club over the years.

Thanks for the compliments Lucky. Geez that is lame that mr. owner wouldn't share a Cuban with you. Especially with a good customer! But I have to tell you I've really been inspired by the consistant generosity displayed here on CP. Plus this man was just a super nice guy and me and my friend had a great time with him that night. I just hope I can pull off laying a few nice sticks on him without him insisting on paying!

Back