• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A Slab of Applewood Bacon

Wisco

So I am a meat salesman. I am the guy that convinces the chef or owner to put something new and unique on the menu. I am doing a training for some of the new sales people and I get to show them a whole unsliced Applewood smoked Bacon slab.

I wanted to check in with my fellow foodies and see if there are any new and unique ideas for this. I don't want to just wrap a steak or shrimp with it. I could chop it and mix it in with my burger but I am looking for something really unique considering the unique opportunity.

Feel free to drop your ideas. Sorry for the 'look at me thread.' It's not a good sign when every sentence starts with "I."

Cut it into slices, fry them and throw them on a long French bread lathered with mayo. Sorry for the simplicity of the recipe but you just made me crave some bacon. I feel like that dog in that old commercial: I want Bacon!!

<mooch on>

Send me some and I'll figure a few things out for ya!

</mooch off>

Cook it down and save the fat for cooking other stuff!

Ummm...Mac and Cheese(at least 3...and home made!)

Put extra in some chowder - corn, lobster...anyting with a nice base!

Ohhhh...alfredo....mmmm....shit, I'm hungry now!

Gratin of Belgian Endive With Applewood Smoked Bacon (I googled this one!)

Some slices over ANYTHING!

Cut it into bacon steaks and fry it. Skewer them and eat them on a stick like a caveman. I am serious. I have also used thick cut slices to wrap around corn and grill.

I had a friend that used to bring Baked Bacon wrapped onions and green beans to cook outs and parties.

They were always the first ones to go. And depending on how you dressed it up, could be fancy!

Cut it into five inch long thin strips.

Get some very large, or jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined.
Wrap the bacon around the shrimp and secure with a toothpick.
Cook on the grill at a mid to hi temp. You have to watch it and turn often, as the bacon fat will cause flares.
About five minutes before they're done (the bacon will appear browned) apply a good sweet barbecue sauce like Sweet Baby Ray's.
Let the sauce cook on and thicken until done.........................Fuggin good!!!! :love:

Cut it into strips, fry them, put em on a plate and serve em. What better way to enjoy the taste of bacon than on its own.

Cook on the grill at a mid to hi temp. You have to watch it and turn often, as the bacon fat will cause flares.
About five minutes before they're done (the bacon will appear browned) apply a good sweet barbecue sauce like Sweet Baby Ray's.
Let the sauce cook on and thicken until done.........................Fuggin good!!!!
wub.gif

Shit, you got me going to the grocery store tonight to pick up some stuff for this weekend. That does sound fuggin good!

Partially cook the bacon, so it's still limp. Wrap around filet mignon. Put steaks under a broiler and cook to medium rare.

Doc.

<snip>
I wanted to check in with my fellow foodies and see if there are any new and unique ideas for this. I don't want to just wrap a steak or shrimp with it. I could chop it and mix it in with my burger but I am looking for something really unique considering the unique opportunity.

Fuggit, just cook the whole slab in the broiler and eat it like a breadless sandwich. Take pictures (of the bacon)

Let the sauce cook on and thicken until done.........................Fuggin good!!!!
wub.gif

Shit, you got me going to the grocery store tonight to pick up some stuff for this weekend. That does sound fuggin good!

When you peel the shrimp, be sure and leave the tail shell on.

I cooked up a small slab for the first Sunday of football this year. Rubbed it down with 5 different peppers, and threw it on the top shelf of the grill while everything else cooked. The high heat early on crisped the skin nicely, and by the time everything else was done cooking, I pulled the slab off and sliced it up, kind of like brisket.

Make up a bacon dip:

Slice thick, fry crispy and crumble into a bowl with fearlessly sauted onion. Mix with a half and half mixture of mayo and sour cream (to taste but say about a cup of each to a half onion and 5 strips?) Top it off with some birdseye or cayenne pepper if you like (I like a good dose of flakes but ground is just fine)

Let it sit overnight and serve with a loaf of fresh bread.

Or, slice it even thicker and fix up a batch of soup. I like creamy cheddar potato or lentil.

Or, take some of the fatty peices and cut them even thicker yet...show them how pork and beans or baked beans in a can has got nothing on the real stuff.

Or, fry several a generous serving of strips up nice and crisp, crumble them into a buttermilk biscuit batter with lots of sharp cheddar, spoon or roll the biscuits however you normally prefer.

Or, dip some in chocolate tainted with a touch of ground cayenne pepper.

Or, thread them onto skewers with red peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc and roast the hell out of them.

Or, top a chicken breast with thin slices, topping the slices with swiss. Add some mixed greens and fresh focaccia for a sandwich.

To go with your sandwich, make up some hot German potato salad with a generous amount of crispy bacon.

If you'd rather not make a sandwich with your chicken, stuff it. Cordon Bleu is not just for the ham treatment!

Take a look at my link in the Saloon to a vodka martini. It's actually pretty darned good.

I'm so hungry for bacon after reading this thread. Some great ideas here. MMMMmmmmm!

Cube it and flash cook it in a cast iron skillet.

Hollow out some Jalapenos and stuff some cream cheese in the pointed end, followed by a water chestnut, and then the cooked cube of bacon.

Put that in a smoker or cool grill for an hour.

Never had it before, and just made it up, but it sounds good!

You could boil up some whole potatoes until they're soft. Cool them, cut in half, spoon out some of the potato and mix with sour cream until fluffy...add some shredded cheddar, green onions and bacon, spoon back into the potato halves and bake to a golden.

Don't forget the classic carbonara...eggs, bacon, cheese pasta...doesn't get any simpler.

You could go over the edge and roll out some pasta dough for bacon filled ravioli.

Manicotti? You could skip the pasta together and use bacon instead of the manicotti. Take some Ricotta, mix in an egg, herbs and freeze until not quite yet frozen but very thick. Roll up in bacon.

Make up a batch of mac and cheese bursting with bacon. Press it into a pan to about an inch thick and half freeze. Then cut the half frozen bacon mac and cheese into triangles, dredge in flour and breading and fry crispy (heck, fry it in your bacon fat if you like)

Salad with fresh croutons fried in the remains of your grease?

Bring in a really cute girl with a bacon bra?

ELittle has a thread in this forum where he cooked up some bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapenos. Looked like some real good stuff there.

ELittle has a thread in this forum where he cooked up some bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapenos. Looked like some real good stuff there.

Those things were no joke man. Also that bacon explosion....

I think I might do carbonara tonight though...

You could always whip up some quiche lorraine...If you're into that sort of thing. :0

Doc.

Cube it and flash cook it in a cast iron skillet.

Hollow out some Jalapenos and stuff some cream cheese in the pointed end, followed by a water chestnut, and then the cooked cube of bacon.

Put that in a smoker or cool grill for an hour.

Never had it before, and just made it up, but it sounds good!

These are great, just haven't added the water chestnut.

Ken