• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A slimmer verison of CP

Well I got my official letter from the VA Hospital. I have an appointment with a Nutritionist on Jan 21, 2009. According to that Calculator I am at a whopping 20.85% body fat. So I know its extremely inaccurate. Now if I went by the Army standard with my 22" neck, I would probably be close to those numbers as I do have a lot of muscle mass. I have so much in my legs I've asked if they could remove 10lbs of muscle from each leg. Of course they tell me no. But hopefully they can get me into some form of program that will help slow down the spinal degeneration as I am not ready for a wheel chair at my young age. So I am interested in this as I am seeing a Professional for the right track in losing weight. I have several books on eating healthy and what not, but it helps if someone is doing it with you for moral support.

I used to run 10 miles a day 4 times a week with also doing 3 hours of sit ups and push ups a day. Good ole Army times. I never broke under the 210 lb mark and I forgot what my Body fat was then, but all that exercising and eating healthy never got be to cross under the 200lb mark. As of right now, I want to drop back down to 210-215lb as I know I will feel better.

Now while I was in Moscow, Russia...I walked a good 70+ miles in 2 months and thanks to my Hydrocodone, I was able to keep at it. I was weight before I left I was around 270 with taking my shoes off. I was able to wear a pair of pants my brother couldn't while I was over there. I ate pretty healthy but alas, when I came back I didn't really lose any weight. I turned all that body fat into muscle. Which lies the main problem. I want to drop the weight and not necessarily turn it into muscle. If you saw me in person, you would agree more than likely. My legs look like Turkey drum sticks. Huge calves and even bigger thighs which isn't fat, but muscle.

Once I see the Nutritionist, I will be more than happy to participate in this. :thumbs:

One of the few good things about getting old is you finally accept the body god gave you. It certainly is a liberating feeling. Don't despair gentlemen, you'll get there.

Doc.

One of the few good things about getting old is you finally accept the body god gave you. It certainly is a liberating feeling. Don't despair gentlemen, you'll get there.

Doc.

And here I thought you were going to tell us about all the Dancersise you do Doc that keeps you fit. :laugh:

Even though the stripper the other night said I am cute I am in last time I checked I was at 335 but that was before the Holidays I know I put some on since then rp

Doc.

I've accepted it Doc, but not my spine. Any additional pound I gain, tears my spine down even faster. Think of it like this. A $2 hooker goes down pretty fast at a football convention. Thats what weight does to my spine. It accelerates the disease even faster and anything I can do to slow it down is worth trying.

Plus..imagine the life in a wheel chair for life. If I can delay it an extra year by losing 20 lbs, so be it. I don't care how the world perceives me. This is about my crappy health and wanting to delay the inevitable. :D

I like to keep my small beer gut as insurance against being locked in a freezer for too long. :D Insulation, you see.

Alright I've been getting some PM's of people saying they're in. Theres no need to post that your in. Everyone is welcome. What I am looking for is "what you" are looking for in a support group? That way we can figure out where this needs to go.

To clearify.....Body Mass Index and Body Fat Calc are not the same thing. BMI is a useless standard in my opinion becuase it doesn't apply to people who are some what muscular. The Body Fat Calc. that I linked too was similiar to one I have used before. I'll try and find it.

YMCA Body Fat Calc A little different

To be honest, I envisioned this more towards guys looking to drop 50 plus pounds. To people who reached the point where they have said "Damn, something has got to give" and mean it. If you have reached the point in the past you know what I am talking about.

Basically I was thinking of a couple of recipe threads. Apps, Entrees, Sides, Desserts... and a general support thread.

I am not saying that if you want to drop 20 then don't reply, its just I don't associate with that, I need to lose more.

So basically I would like some feed back from you, about what you would want out of this group. I will compile a list from that and send PM's to everyone. We can move on from there.

I have some thoughts on weight loss, but yet I am still fat so obiviously I could use some help too. Thats where you all come in.

Now that new calc is more like where I should be at. It doesn't surprise me to be close to 30%. I know I need work and have been pestering the VA to send me to a Nutritionist as I can not just go for a 3 mile jog every day. So its tougher for me as I can not do any physical exercise and this means a strict controlled diet suited to my needs. I will report back once I have seen the Nutritionist as I will have better opinions in how to approach my goal as I want to shred down to where I used to be in High School of 215 lbs. :thumbs:

I was an athlete in high school and always had teammates who pushed me to do better. Part of the reason I have gotten so fat is that I have no one to hold me accountable. Competition is a great motivator, even if the award is just braging riots. That's what I am looking to get out of this.

I'm 295 lbs and my BMI is 36%...which so far makes me the winner or fattest fat fat.

At my most fit (late high school/early college before the beer really took over), I was about 230-240 lbs (I'm about 6'-0"). I had one of those caliper pinch tests done my freshman year at college and I was something like 13% body fat and felt great. Since then I've ballooned as high as 325, but have recently lost about 25-30 pounds and I'm hovering around 295. I started last June and had a pretty ambitious goal of getting to 250 by this March (30th b-day), but that's my overall goal, to get back down to under 250. As some others have mentioned, I actually don't really care about the number, I'm just looking to get back to feeling good again.

Here are a few tips I've picked up so far:

* Drink a lot of water. It's a good way to flush things out, keep you hydrated if you're increasing your exercise routine, and also a decent appetite/overeating suppressant. Try drinking a large glass of water right before a meal, and you won't be inclined to eat as much.

* Portion control, eat slow, and eat often. Avoid going back for seconds, try not to eat to fast to give your "I'm full" indicator time to kick in. If you can eat smaller meals more frequently or have a healthy snack like a yogurt or some carrots in between meals, you won't feel so hungry and gorge at mealtime.

* Try to add a few extra activities to your day, especially if you have a desk job. Take the stairs, park a little further away from the door, or get up and walk a few cubicle laps or flight of stairs every so often to increase your physical activity and metabolism.

* Track what you eat. This has helped me IMMENSELY to start losing weight - while I wasn't eating terribly, I was able to see that there were areas of my diet that were making it harder to lose weight. I highly recommend this website, it's a cool free utility to help track calories & nutrition: http://www.thedailyplate.com/

* Don't starve yourself. The goal is to safely loose weight and be able to set up a lifestyle that you can maintain. If you're hungry all the time and don't occasionally treat yourself, you'll be more likely to have the urge to run to Burger King, order 3 double whoppers and a chocolate shake and gorge yourself.

* Get a good scale - some of the newer ones track body fat %, muscle mass and bone density fairly accurately (so does the Wii Fit). A good accurate scale is important to gauge how you're doing - just don't get too obsessed with it. Weigh yourself once or twice a week instead of everyday.

Best of luck to everyone!

I'm looking for somebody else who's looking to drop 30-40 pounds. I'd like to keep up with PM's or calls 2-3 times a week just to see whether were exercising/eating right or not.

Ery

YMCA Calculator: BF: 36%
Other Calc: BF: 36.89%

If losing weight meant getting off all these meds for Diabetes and high BP then it would be worth it. Doc said a year a go if I didn't loose I would be dead soon. Being 40 with young kids is bad enough. Plus my wife has incurable cancer so knows her expected life expectancy.

I talked to a diatician about a diabetic diet. She wanted me to be on 2,400 calories. I told her it would take 1,800 to start losing. She claimed I would be starving myself. 2,400 was more than I was intaking at the time. Her "chart" claimed otherwise.

As a reminder for all of you guys attempting to do this, slimming down is a marathon, not a sprint. Conservative calorie deficits are more beneficial than just eating the bare minimum. Example, if you normally ate 3,000 calories a day, try cutting that down to somewhere between 2,400 to 2,600 per day. ~1,500 calories is the bare minimum (depending on body type, muscle mass, etc) before your body starts to go into starvation mode and metabolizes the muscle instead of the fat.

3,500 calories equates to 1 pound of fat, so taking in the example from above, the goal should be to lose around 1 pound per week. Any more and it's just icing on the cake.

Also in terms of eating habits, eat before you get hungry, drink before you get thirsty. For example, if you know you eat breakfast at 7am, and then find yourself getting hungry at 12pm, then eat something at a slightly earlier time such as 11:30 am, before you get those hunger pangs.

Your body is really good at adapting to everything, including diets and exercise. Make note that you WILL have to indulge yourself one day a week just to keep your body from adapting to the imposed calorie deficit.

I'm against you all. I hope to be up another 10-20 pounds before summer.

My wife and I as well as a friend and his skinny wife are joining a local weight lose contest Monday (right after a trip to Kings Buffet :love: ) Contest is involves a four person team and runs 3 months I think. Winning team gets $1,000.

My wife went on a diet about 13 years ago (before kids) under the supervision of a Bariatric doctor. They used Medifast (similar to Slimfast but lower calorie and more like Alli in results :whistling: ). I think it is 150 calories/drink. The diet consist of 1 week of three drinks/day then start to incorporate lean meats and vegies, etc slowly.

I would imagine the 1 week (sometimes two) looses some weight but the food comes in soon to keep the muscle. It worked well for her. Her Oncologist today okayed the same diet since my wife had done it before but we will be watching her closely to make sure the cancer doesn't strive on the low calorie diet. I think I will try it too.

I'll righty...I will be working on a PM contact list to get out to all those who wish.

Lots of good advice so far. I really like that fact that Irish talked about eating before your hungry. No need to starve yourself, just a little bit of moderation.

A little rant if you will....Diets lots of people say they don't work, I argue that they are very effective. Only in the short term. How many people have said "I am just going to eatless" did that work for them? My guess is no. So why are Diets effective in the short term and not the long? The simple answer is structure. What ever diet that you may be on sets out certain "cans" and "can nots". It takes away the guess work. The reason they don't work in the long term is the same structure. Some are too restrictive and unless you truely changed your life style habits the weight loss will only last as long as you follow the diet.

Just food for thought.

Remember too, that no matter what you do today or tomorrow to make yourself better, you've made your self better.

Another good tip is to go to the grocery store on a full stomach....if in fact, you do some of the shopping. It's easier to resist picking up some of that "not so healthy food"