• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A thought about Lifting the Embargo of ISOM's

Guys, all those letters.....I didn't send them. They somehow showed up. Could be this damned phone. Sorry, nothing I intentionally posted.

I didn't send that mess of letters. Could have been this damned phone. Sorry

Guys, all those letters.....I didn't send them. They somehow showed up. Could be this damned phone. Sorry, nothing I intentionally posted.

Ok...this is funny!

-------------------------------------

You want to get to know us. Read up on some threads and stick around.

I feel like there's a lot of tools out there who would go crazy just to get a cc, regardless of quality.
I feel like the quality would be severely diminished because of what's happening. Although, I realize there's already a lot of them out there, if habanos SA was smart, they wouldn't increase production, but just jack up prices.
However, that wouldn't be good for us.

I dunno, I feel like right now, we kind of have the best of both worlds. I don't know for how much longer though.

We don't want the embargo to end. It would be a disaster for American cigar smokers. Every swinging dick newbie in the US would buy one making them scarce and causing a shortage.Commies aren't very good at dealing with that. Quality would suffer. We'd be screwed for 3 to 5 yrs. What we want is for the embargo not to be enforced.;)
Doc.
....bingo. My thoughts exactly.

Other thing is that if you thought counterfitting was bad now, wait until the demand outstrips supply by 100X. If this actually happens, i wouldn't buy an ISOM for three to five years, to be sure. The counterfitters would step up their game and telling realf from fake would be even harder than it is now.

Got to say, i don't buy many anymore so it wouldn't be a big deal to me, honestly.

B.B.S.

I think all the ground won in the recent years in regards to quality would be quickly lost, especially with my favourite el cheapos like the Partagas Habaneros and Por Larranaga Montecarlos.

As of right now Cuba dosent have the amount of cigars to supply the US and Europe if the embargo is lifted. Jose Padron once let slip that he sells 47% of his tobacco to Cuba. Cuba has a lot of financial issues and the farmers are not getting the supplies they need. Remove the embargo and the mystery of the CC is also lifted and people will discover construction issues and high prices of these cigars. I doubt cigar makers outside of Cuba are doing something to thwart the lifting of the embargo because the big cigar families all came from Cuba and would like to get their fields back (Torano is probably the most vocal about this). As much as I like a good CC, I think Nicaraguan tobacco is the best tobacco there is and the best constructed cigars come from the big three: DR, Honduras, and Nicaragua.

Two things... First - oh yeah? And B - if they have so many financial problems, how are they buying so much Padron tobacco?
I have a friend whom went on a tour of the Padron factory and that is what he told me. I am not questioning his credibility. I believe in 93 or 93, cigar production tripled and thats when rumors of Cuba starting to buy tobacco came out. In 2000, ECCJ did an article about Cuba using Nicaragua tobacco. The Cuban government has had problems supplying basics like fertilizer and pesticides to the growers. Some of the tobacco fields that had been devastated by hurricanes are still in poor shape and they lack of good agriculture practices is leading to a "dust bowl" like situation where the soil is being destroyed. Cuba dosent make its own maduros and gets their maduro wrapper leaf from Nicaragua and another big growning family in Nicaragua said they sell to Cuba as well. This dosent mean CC's are bad or shouldnt be enjoyed. Its like maduros, there are some great maduro cigars out there and I readily admit to being a maduro fiend but I offer you the challenge to find a maduro thats properly prepared and not steamed.

Two things... First - oh yeah? And B - if they have so many financial problems, how are they buying so much Padron tobacco?

Probably because its cheaper than growing it themselves. They probably have demand for more tobacco, but its unprofitable (politically disadvantageous?) to convert arable land from whatever its currently producing. They could also be in a situation where the costs of farming thier own tobacco have risen to the point where its cheaper to just import a certain percentage.

If this Padron thing is true, which cigars or other products is the tobacco used in?

I haven't smoked everything from the island, but I can say that I've never remotely tasted Nic tobacco in a CC.

As far as broblues comments, I suggest you chill out, and get to know us before you take offense at good advice, or wisdom. Doc is one of the most wise, and funniest, people on this board. He is just very good at one liners. (Eat your heart out, Henny Youngman)

If this Padron thing is true, which cigars or other products is the tobacco used in?

I haven't smoked everything from the island, but I can say that I've never remotely tasted Nic tobacco in a CC.

As far as broblues comments, I suggest you chill out, and get to know us before you take offense at good advice, or wisdom. Doc is one of the most wise, and funniest, people on this board. He is just very good at one liners. (Eat your heart out, Henny Youngman)

I have a hard time believing that myself Monk. I think It's pure bunk!

broblues, no ones saying not to post and get to know us, but you should slow down with starting the topics and search before starting one.

Once you get to know someone like Doc, you'll realize it's just his personality (sarcasm, and one liners) and nothing personal.

There seems to be an awful lot of conjecture in this thread. I would be VERY surprised if someone like Jose Padron let slip that kind of info to someone on a tour. He very well have said it, but I would be most surprised.

broblues, no ones saying not to post and get to know us, but you should slow down with starting the topics and search before starting one.

Once you get to know someone like Doc, you'll realize it's just his personality (sarcasm, and one liners) and nothing personal.

Easy for you to say, you've never been q'd. I take being q'd very seriously and find his personal attack with q's and ones, no less, reprehensible. I've got my eye on him and there will be no more indiscriminate q-ing without consequences. You/ve been warned broblue.

Doc.

As of right now Cuba dosent have the amount of cigars to supply the US and Europe if the embargo is lifted. Jose Padron once let slip that he sells 47% of his tobacco to Cuba. Cuba has a lot of financial issues and the farmers are not getting the supplies they need. Remove the embargo and the mystery of the CC is also lifted and people will discover construction issues and high prices of these cigars. I doubt cigar makers outside of Cuba are doing something to thwart the lifting of the embargo because the big cigar families all came from Cuba and would like to get their fields back (Torano is probably the most vocal about this). As much as I like a good CC, I think Nicaraguan tobacco is the best tobacco there is and the best constructed cigars come from the big three: DR, Honduras, and Nicaragua.

I have a friend whom went on a tour of the Padron factory and that is what he told me. I am not questioning his credibility. I believe in 93 or 93, cigar production tripled and thats when rumors of Cuba starting to buy tobacco came out. In 2000, ECCJ did an article about Cuba using Nicaragua tobacco. The Cuban government has had problems supplying basics like fertilizer and pesticides to the growers. Some of the tobacco fields that had been devastated by hurricanes are still in poor shape and they lack of good agriculture practices is leading to a "dust bowl" like situation where the soil is being destroyed. Cuba dosent make its own maduros and gets their maduro wrapper leaf from Nicaragua and another big growning family in Nicaragua said they sell to Cuba as well. This dosent mean CC's are bad or shouldnt be enjoyed. Its like maduros, there are some great maduro cigars out there and I readily admit to being a maduro fiend but I offer you the challenge to find a maduro thats properly prepared and not steamed.

You're telling me that the Padrons told a tour group that they are supplying Cuba with tobacco. That's just plain ridiculous, first of all even if true (which is very doubtful) there's no way the Padrons let a secret like that out. Especially to a bunch of tourists wandering around the factory. Secondly Cuba would never confirm they buy tobacco from Nicaragua so the ECCJ piece is just conjecture. If you choose to believe it fine, but like John and Monk I've never tasted anything remotely resembling Nica tobacco in a CC.

Cigar production increased due to the fact that they started stock piling leaf. There's also the fact they they expanded growing - and changed the leaf. (when you say '93 or 93' ...you do mean 99?)

BT - one thing you'll find is that we ask to have statements based in fact.

;)

Add that to the list of Padron urban legends. :laugh:

We've also had members claim that Padron uses Mexican tobacco in their Nicaraguan puros, and that Padron sprinkles chocolate dust in their tobacco to enhance the flavors!

We've also had members claim that Padron uses Mexican tobacco in their Nicaraguan puros, and that Padron sprinkles chocolate dust in their tobacco to enhance the flavors!

That's believable and explains the Ooompa Loompas I've seen sneaking out the back door of the factory.

Easy for you to say, you've never been q'd. I take being q'd very seriously and find his personal attack with q's and ones, no less, reprehensible. I've got my eye on him and there will be no more indiscriminate q-ing without consequences. You/ve been warned broblue.

Doc.

Well, I guess if I had to choose, I'd rather be q,d than f'd Doc. :laugh:

OK... Padron sprinkles their tobacco with chocolate. Then sells it to the Cubans. They then put weed in their cigars. This must be how they came up with Chocolate Thai.

That's believable and explains the Ooompa Loompas I've seen sneaking out the back door of the factory.

You need glasses. It was Spanish midgets being ferried out the back door.