• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advantages?-Disadvantages

sibernation

O.K. Folks. What are the feeling when decideing to use a cooler or an old fridge? I like the style of a classic fridge and its easier to lock. Whats your thoughts? :thumbs:

LOL, guess I should say as a humidor. :thumbs:

A fridge would give away the full extent of my colection to my wife! And I like my NUTS right were they are! Coolerdors good! :p

I prefer the fridge as well and I'm glad you brought that up 'cause I've got one of those small ones sitting around not being used so tomorrow, I think it will become a humidor.

Bruddah Ed,

If you have the space for it I'd go with the fridge! Imagine the storage capacity that you'd have and as long as the seals are good it should work well. You'd also have built in shelving and areas for singles, your accessories and some booze too! I'd just be sure that the seals/magnets work well and there's no smell or odor in there. I would even consider lining it with spanish cedar or at least honduran mahogany... that would be awesome!

Aloha,

Wade

I prefer the Cooledor, but and older nostalgic type fridge would be cool. The built in shelves would be awsome and convienent..... :thumbs:

My question to this question is this:

If you use one of those small Dorm Room Fridges, can it also be turned on and set to a high enogh temp to regulate the Humi at say 68° or will it still be too cold for storing gars?

To me it's all about space and time ??? The fridge is a nice touch if you do it right and you have a spare lying around but if you need quick storage there is nothing easier than going down to Wallyworld, Costco, Sams, Woolworth's or the good old five and dime (am I dating myself) and picking up a cooler. Throw some Climmax beads in it and DaaaaDa, throw it in a closet and start loading that baby up :D

Just my .02 ;)

BenjieV :D

Cooler's are very easy to set up, but, you can't beat the volume of a fridge. Biggest question is room to place the fridge. Cooler can go in the closet, under the bed if a small one. Even a small fridge your looking at 3 cubic feet of space.

I had thought about using a refridgerator for storage instead of the multiple coolers I have but the problem is with the Mrs. She doesn't want it in the house so I'm looking for one of the old wooden refridgerators to refinish. She will go along with that.

Got to keep the wife happy. Happy wife, no questions about purchases! ;) :sign:

Hey Bill, when your saying an ole' wooden fidge, are you talkin' about the ole' Three Stooges type. I saw one of them down here in an antique shop and the lady wanted a pretty penny for it..... :0 :thumbs: ???

There is an old "ice box" at an antique store here in Portland also. I don't remember the asking price for it, but it did need some work.

For those of you that are comfortable with tools and interested in a icebox (old frige) check out the link. I'm trying to work up the courage to give it a try myself.

Icebox

I may be wrong, but I think LeeBo had done a nice conversion of an Igloo cooler that stood on end and opened just like a fridge. It was very functional and a darn fine looking job as well. I don't remember the particulars, but he posted a picture once that was nice. :thumbs:

stogieman said:
Hey Bill, when your saying an ole' wooden fidge, are you talkin' about the ole' Three Stooges type. I saw one of them down here in an antique shop and the lady wanted a pretty penny for it..... :0 :thumbs: ???
Charlie that's what I'm looking for. I've seen several that have been redone and they were asking a pretty penny for them. I'm looking for one that is sound but needs work that I can get at a reasonable price. I just have to be patient.

siber-
I'll pm you with an email for a guy who has turned an entire closet, as well as a couple of fridges into humidors. He recommends against the little dorm fridges as, for the money, they aren't much bigger than a cooler.
You can get temp controllers for refrigerators from home brew supply places; the thermostat in the fridge won't allow for high enough temps, but these controllers allow for precise control in the 60's, necessary for cold-fermenting of homebrew.

Have fun if you decide to go with your project! :)