• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice for buying my first humidor

Very cool, Thanks again!!
I actually read this one a while back, however your posting the link helped with a few thoughts I was having.
We'll see how far I get & how quick...lol, I tend to have grand ideas but lack in the time area!

Just found this great step by step cooler-dor creation, by souldog.

http://www.cigarpass...-my-cooler-dor/

Thanks for the link David!!
After reading that thread I do believe I'll be giving a Cooler-dor a shot (if I can find a cooler during winter :cool:).
Souldogs build gave me some great ideas... possibly involving cedar drawers (I know it defeats the propose...just like the idea!!)?
We shall see... Have a good one all!!

Check this out:

http://www.cigarpass...age__hl__cooler

You guys are digging up some great projects buy some handy members! If you are not handy yourself and are looking to purchase some shelves and draws for a cooler contact Forest (golfnut) here at cp he makes these and here is his web site link to the Coolidors page.

Paul

You guys are digging up some great projects buy some handy members! If you are not handy yourself and are looking to purchase some shelves and draws for a cooler contact Forest (golfnut) here at cp he makes these and here is his web site link to the Coolidors page.

Paul

Paul... Couldn't have been more Perfect!!
The link you sent contains exactly (more less) what I was envisioning building (the 150QT Cooler).
Great help... Thanks Much!!

Paul

Paul... Couldn't have been more Perfect!!
The link you sent contains exactly (more less) what I was envisioning building (the 150QT Cooler).
Great help... Thanks Much!!

Anytime brother!

Merry Christmas,
Paul

What amazes me about my new home made humidor is how little water is needed. The plastic container has a volume of 4 liters, i used something like 8 ml of distilled water and that was too much - the hygrometer was reading 65-66% (which is more than 70% because is reading 5% less on wet salt test). I removed the foam and let it in open air for about 15 minutes everyday. Now the floral foam is looking almost dry and the reading is still 64%. I want to go to 68% (63% on my hygro). I will get it out again for 15 minutes to see what happens.

This has been repeated a bunch, but i'll re-post for the record. A lot of folks are advocated of wiping the cooler out with a bleach solution to prepare it for cigar storage. Goal being to get rid of some of the 'plastic' smell. As a guy that ran coolers (five) I can say I wouldn't do it on a dare. Chlorine is very unfriendly to organic materials, let alone vaporize it and get it into your lungs / nasal passages. My suggestion....

- Rinse your new cooler with the hottest water your tap has. Now, if you boil water and pour it into the cooler, you stand a good chance of warping the cooler. Not necessary....fill it 1/4 full or so with the hottest water your tap will produce. Close the lid, let it sit for an hour or so. The goal here is to get the insides hot, so the plastic will outgas.
- Pour out the water, let the cooler sit with the lid open for a day or two. If you're in a sunny climate, put it outside and let the sun shine on it for a day or two with the lid open.
- Add cigars
- Add beads
- Enjoy low maintenance mass storage on the cheap...... :cool:

Good luck - B.B.S.

Running several coolers myself, I ascribe to BBS's methodology. Afterwards your cooler may have the slightest smell of plastic, but i've found that the smell of tobacco soon overpowers it.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I don't have a problem with the plastic smell.
I took out the flower foam out and now the RH has stabilised to 66%, (61% is the actuall reading from my hygrometer) which is what i want. Apparently the humidity from cigars is enough. If i put the foam back in the RH will go up 2 or 3 percent.

All kinds of good advice for you. You can't go wrong.

Big puff :thumbs:

The only thing I'd add to what Tom (BBS) said is to mix a 50% ratio of isopropyl alcohol to the water mix when wiping down.
Good luck!

jfields said:
The only thing I'd add to what Tom (BBS) said is to mix a 50% ratio of isopropyl alcohol to the water mix when wiping down.
Good luck!

You don't use Prestone?