• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

After smoking my first few Cubans...

Izzypizzy

I feel like never smoking anything but.

Been smoking Cohiba Siglo IV's, and PSD4's, they're simply the best cigars I've ever smoked, smoothness like no other.. And so sweet..

(Smoking a psd4 as I post this!)

How many of you feel the same way?

Nope not even close.

I love a Punch Punch, but give me a Padrón or LFD over a Cuban any day of the week.

Hehe.

Maybe it's just a phase. But the cigars I used to love, pale in comparison..

I hope it's a phase anyway.. Otherwise this could get expensive :x

I feel the same as Shawn. I also prefer non Cuban cigars, especially Nicaraguan.
These are just the sweetest and creamiest cigars, like PAM's for example :)

I've found that my taste changes on a periodic basis. Some weeks I smoke all non-Cubans (Padron, Padilla, Ashton, LFD, LGC, etc.) while other times, I can go weeks on without the slightest desire to pick up even the best of the NCs.

Wilkey

I've found that my taste changes on a periodic basis. Some weeks I smoke all non-Cubans (Padron, Padilla, Ashton, LFD, LGC, etc.) while other times, I can go weeks on without the slightest desire to pick up even the best of the NCs.

Wilkey
X2. I will say, though I've had far more plugged and unsmokable ISOM's than NC's. I cannot recall ever getting a plugged Padron '64 / '26 and they are both as good as any cigar in the world, IMHO.

ISOM / NC's have very different flavors which yield very different tastes and different smoking experiences. They are both good, but they are different. To call one "better" is not only subjective, it would limit your exposure to other very fine smokes..... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

What Wilkey and B.B.S. said. My only regret is that some of the NCs are getting way too pricey!

Does anybody else find it interesting that our international members seem to have the lowest opinions of ISOMs? Wurm and Michal already chimed in, and I know I can add anvilt to the list.

Forbidden fruit?

What Wilkey and B.B.S. said. My only regret is that some of the NCs are getting way too pricey!
That is absolutely true. Many have remarked on the observation that Cubans provide better smoking value for the dollar than comparable quality NCs and I tend to agree. I'd guess that the average cost of the C's I enjoy is $4-8 while the NC range is more like $8-12.

One has to wonder about the relative distribution of cost components in NC versus C pricing. Marketing and packaging cost contributions must be significantly different between the two. For example, production Habanos come in plain cedar SLB/cabs or dressed boxes while NCs seem to be coming in fancier and fancier packaging. Think CAO Sopranos and Vision, Gurkha Titan, Camacho (new boxes).

Wilkey

That is absolutely true. Many have remarked on the observation that Cubans provide better smoking value for the dollar than comparable quality NCs and I tend to agree. I'd guess that the average cost of the C's I enjoy is $4-8 while the NC range is more like $8-12.

One has to wonder about the relative distribution of cost components in NC versus C pricing. Marketing and packaging cost contributions must be significantly different between the two. For example, production Habanos come in plain cedar SLB/cabs or dressed boxes while NCs seem to be coming in fancier and fancier packaging. Think CAO Sopranos and Vision, Gurkha Titan, Camacho (new boxes).

Wilkey

Don't forget the federal tax on NCs.

Does anybody else find it interesting that our international members seem to have the lowest opinions of ISOMs? Wurm and Michal already chimed in, and I know I can add anvilt to the list.

Forbidden fruit?
That is a curious phenomenon indeed.

I think that one potential explanation might be the "reverse forbidden fruit" effect. That is to say that outside of the US (western hemisphere too, perhaps) Fuente, Padron, and other premium NC's are more expensive than comparable Habanos. So, for Michal and Anvilt, they're looking at a very similar situation as we, except reversed. Of course, Americans have an added element of legal prohibition while they are facing a more onerous cost deterrence.

I can't explain wurm. Maybe he's just a freak. :p

For me, I can say that the forbidden fruit phenomenon has been played out. I'm at a stage where I seek what I enjoy no matter the national origin. I guess in that sense I've moved in the direction of cost being the primary dissuader of purchases.

Wilkey

Forbidden fruit?

I think that one potential explanation might be the "reverse forbidden fruit" effect. That is to say that outside of the US (western hemisphere too, perhaps) Fuente, Padron, and other premium NC's are more expensive than comparable Habanos. So, for Michal and Anvilt, they're looking at a very similar situation as we, except reversed. Of course, Americans have an added element of legal prohibition while they are facing a more onerous cost deterrence.

For me, I can say that the forbidden fruit phenomenon has been played out. I'm at a stage where I seek what I enjoy no matter the national origin. I guess in that sense I've moved in the direction of cost being the primary dissuader of purchases.

Wilkey

I here what you're saying, but I wonder how many of us (notice "us", not "you" :blush: ) would put up with the construction issues with habanos if they were Dominican? Is it that the flavor/price make it worth the burn/draw issues?

Forbidden fruit?

That is an interesting point to raise. I don't have the luxury of time at this moment to research their post histories, but I wonder how they typically purchase their Cuban cigars. It is my understanding that foreign customers are best able to purchase N/C's via the internet. The internet, as many of us have learned, generally provides the cheapest experience. Hence, it provides one of the two most important aspects of a cigar's value: Low price. The other important aspect is quality, which N/C's almost invariably excel at. Cuban cigar quality can be spotty, and if purchasing from a B&M, can range anywhere from sorta to mighty darn expensive. Thus, to an international customer, Cuban cigars may lack that same "value".

Because Americans are unable to legally purchase Habanos from domestic B&M's, they are forced to seek out "value" priced vendors. As I previously stated, pricing affects our opinion on the value of the product.

I also notice that Michal stated a preference for PAM's, a maduro processed cigar. Perhaps Wurm likes maduro cigars as well? I used to love those for their strength and full bodied flavor they typically exhibited. So much so, that I apparently never noticed (or completely disregarded) how sweet they are. Since I've been smoking Habanos, and have been enjoying full bodied flavor cigars without that sweet taste, I rarely touch a N/C maduro anymore. I have had "natural" wrapper N/C cigars since then that have been very favorable in all aspects except for price. Thus, the "value" reaches full circle for me and I find myself smoking nearly 100% Habanos these days.

To each our own.

Forbidden fruit?

Wilkey

I here what you're saying, but I wonder how many of us (notice "us", not "you" :blush: ) would put up with the construction issues with habanos if they were Dominican? Is it that the flavor/price make it worth the burn/draw issues?
Hehe, let me doff my top hat and remove my monocle to respond. ;)

In one sense, I think the uniqueness of the Cuban profile certainly affords the breed a little slack. And that coupled with the "forbidden fruit" phenomenon may have the effect of conferring "class pet" status. So I guess that means I agree with you. :)

Badhangover makes excellent points in his lucid analysis. Nice to see you sharing your considerable expertise with the CP community. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Hehe.

Maybe it's just a phase. But the cigars I used to love, pale in comparison..

I hope it's a phase anyway.. Otherwise this could get expensive :x

I don't mean to be rude, but your post history was a simple matter to peek at. It seems that you are recently into this hobby. Your sign up date is just two months ago and your introduction post was made at that point. In that post, you stated that you had just purchased a sampler of cigars you had yet to try. Kinda standard cigars, in all honesty. Just how many cigars did you used to love, and for how long did you love them?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude here. Perhaps you might wanna kick the tires a bit more, so to speak, before you try driving a whole different kinda car. It's generally a good thing to develop a solid foundation before venturing off into tangents. I'd suggest not eschewing them N/C's just yet. Experience and enjoy them. They're right there in front of us. The others..... those take a bit o' :whistling: .

OK, you guys convinced me, I guess I'll keep smoking them. :D

Thanks as always for your well thought out points Wilkey, you and badhangover both made good points that I hadn't really considered.

Forbidden fruit?

Wilkey

I agree 100%.

We all want what we can not have....

I have two shops within walking distance to me, one specializes in rare and aged Habanos the other in Habanos. Both sell non cubans but the mark up is huge.
After smoking ISOM's for over 20 years it is a real nice change to sample others.
Also if I decide to buy something like a Cohiba say 2006 pyramid or a siglo vi. I tend to look at how many Padrons I can get for the same price. And buy the Padrons.(which I import from the US).

It all depends to me. Sometimes I have a hankerin' for an ISOM and sometimes not. I can't really pinpoint it, but I have had times where a good ole Padron 4000 makes me want to smoke nothing else, them some days the same is true with ISOM's. Hell I guess I like em all. Thats why its always nice to get a bomb from someone to expand your horizons. The same argument can be said for certain brands. Some will swear by Tats, Anjeo's, Opus, whatever their fancy. I collect em all because I crave em all at certain times. The bomb that comes in with a spread, opens my eyes to all things good and bad. Not to long ago I found a new true yard gar that I can pick up for a few bucks. I guess I am not a big fan of this vs that when it comes to cigars. You go big on one thing and miss out on another, or just moderate and enjoy it all.

So ISOM vs NC
or Brand vs Brand

Its all subjective to me. Find what ya like and horde em. Thats how I do it.

lol I got your "freak" hanging Wilkey :sign:

I'll explain it this way, I've been in Germany now for over 20 years. For me Cubans are / were my normal cigar. I completely missed the US cigar boom ( I even made a thread asking about it when I first joined) and my weekend smoke was usually a Punch Punch or a Montecristo Especiales Nr. 1

Then in September 2005 I went back to PA to visit my Mom and I walked into our local branch of "The Famous Smoke Shop" and was stunned at the huge amount of cigars in the walk-in I had never heard of.

I bought 4 cigars that day that I had never had before. A Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto, a Arturo Fuente Don Carlos # 2, a Macanudo Hyde Park Maduro and a The Griffin's Robusto.

I liked all of them but the RP Sun Grown blew my mind.

So I got back to Germany and the first thing I did was order a box of RP Sungrown Robustos from Thompson's (lol), and while I waiting on them to arrive I used google to find information about buying a humidor and I ended up ordering the "Free Humidor when you buy a box of 5 Vegas 'A' cigars!" from CI and during that search stumbled onto CP and as they say the rest is history.

So now I have a small corner of my 5 vegas Humi dedicated to Cuban cigars, but the rest is filled with a bunch of brands I learned about here and even more brands I've discovered on my own.

I hardly ever have over a few boxes worth of cigars to my name (I almost never buy full boxes, only 5ers and Singles or I do trades), but all of them are IMO good ones that I wouldn't be ashamed to share with any of my fellow BOTLs here or elsewhere.

Wilkey

It is interesting how many under $8 cigars are available on the C side of the house that are truly enjoyable. I don't think I can say the same on the NC side. Even a pedestrian AF 858 Maduro retails for close to $10 with sales tax in NYC.

Back