• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging Cubans, How Long?

lucasbuck

Sheriff Buck
Hey fellow cigar lovers, I'm new here and also a pretty new smoker. I just started my cigar habit in February. Anyway I finally took the plunge and got my first box of Havanas. What I'm wondering is how long should I let them sleep in my humidor before I start smoking them and what temp/humi would you recommend? The box is from July 2002 so they already have a year on them if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any hints and tips and I look forward to being an active participant in many of the forums here. This is a great site and I've already learned a ton reading all the posts since I joined one month ago. Happy Smoking!

-Craig

I would let them sit for 2 weeks, and then dive in head first! :p Thats if you can wait that long!! :0

By the way, Welcome aboard! ;) Go to the lobby and intro yourself! :thumbs:

Welcom Craig :) What did ya get? Inquiring minds like ours wanna know. :p
I've heard :lookup: that '01 and '02 are pretty darned smokable. It's all a matter of just how long can you keep your hands off of em. :D

I got Montecristo #2's. I picked a single up from a stealthy tobacconist in Vegas back in March. I let it rest for 3 months and it was like a whole new smoking experience. I'm not sure if it was mostly in my head or what but I was in heaven! My Dominicans just don't stack up anymore. I'm counting the days until I fire up one of my new batch to find out if it's as good as my first. I sure hope so as these bad boys are pricey! Thanks for the suggestions, you guys are fast! Take it easy.

-Craig

Craig, smoke one in two weeks like Joe said. If it doesn't seem right (ammonia smell, grassy flavor or no flavor at all), let them sleep for a few months. Then smoke another one and if that doesn't work let them sleep for another few months, and so on until they are good to go.

If they are from 2002 or 2003 they should be good to smoke right now. I've got some from 2001 that I'm still waiting for to hit their stride.

Welcome to CP. :thumbs:

I have a hard timing aging anything these days.... :D

Oh I don't know about that Lee... is that grey hair I see? :0 :sign:

Shadow couldn't have said it better. There is no magic time frame.... you have to smoke them to know. :thumbs:

Allofus123 said:
Shadow couldn't have said it better. There is no magic time frame.... you have to smoke them to know. :thumbs:
At Shadow's age......... You don't have time to waist! :sign:

Who loves you Bill :love: :p ;)

Don't forget guys, with all of Bill's knowledge & maturity (nice way of saying old age), he'll most likely have the last laugh..... :D

craig
as a rule i dont try anything until it is at least 2 years old.have found that at about the 27 month mark a profound change takes place in the smaller (42 ring)habanos.
my monty#2's(abr00) were just kick you in the head strong at the 2 year mark and just smokable about last christmas...pretty fine now tho,had one last week.
of course there are exeptions...a box of jun02 siglo 1's that are fine now and a cab of ryj tres petite coronas('97)that are still deathly strong.as a bonus you get a wayyyyyy better burn with decently aged habanos.

derrek :)

ricmac25 said:
Aren't the more recent years smoking better sooner?
Yes they are, but again it's what you like. I'm for long-term aging of Habanos. They tend to lose the rough edge and become great cigars after 3-5 years. :thumbs:

Now you have to excuse me. The nurse is here to wheel me out for a cigar. HELLO NURSE!!!!!!!!! ;)

:0 THREE TO FIVE YEARS!?!?!
At my age, I could be dead in 3-5 years! (And no, you guys can't have my smokes!) :sign:

Psyktek

Shadow said:
ricmac25 said:
Aren't the more recent years smoking better sooner?
Yes they are, but again it's what you like. I'm for long-term aging of Habanos. They tend to lose the rough edge and become great cigars after 3-5 years. :thumbs:

Now you have to excuse me. The nurse is here to wheel me out for a cigar. HELLO NURSE!!!!!!!!! ;)
I missed this post! ???

LMAO! :sign:

Hey pay attention zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzer! LMAO

Keep in mind it takes disipline to age cigars but the results can be bery bery favorable. I guess the key is building up an inventory that allows you to do that ;)

BenjieV :D

You can also get cigars that already have been aged from vendors to start with.

The main thing is: PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!

All good things comes to those who waits. :thumbs:

All good things comes to those who waits

So very true! I also agree that it is easier to age 'gars if you have a big enough inventory... but it does take time to stock up. Also, Bruddah Shadow brings up a very good point.... if you can purchase sticks that already have been aged then you can smoke those while the others are laid down to rest.

Aloha,

Wade

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I happen to be an unusually patient fellow when it comes to my "addiction" as my girlfriend likes to call it so I think I'll wait a couple more months before I torch up my first from this batch. I'm gonna shoot for 90 days which should be about perfect as I'm primarily an outside smoker and the weather should be ideal. Thanks once again for all the great posts.

-Craig