• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

An eventful morning

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
So, it got down to -31F overnight with -52F windchill. As a bonus, our power went out at about 2:30AM and didn't come back on until 3 hours later. As another bonus, our backup generator apparently decided to give up the ghost at some point between my last test 2 weeks ago and last night. So, we were without heat during the coldest period we've seen here in the last 2 years and the house is still recovering as I type.

As an added bonus, the resulting power surge when electricity was restored fried our desktop computer system. So, I'm shopping for a new computer today.

This system was about 6 years old. We mainly use it for the interwebs and as a music/file/print server with some light photo stuff thrown in from time to time. I don't need the latest, greatest, whizbang gaming system. It's a Dell and we've been happy with it until now.

So, since I've been out of the hardware loop for the last 6 years, I ask my CP friends, what brands do I need to avoid? What brands should I really look at? I'm looking for desktop systems.

*** I'm not going Mac. Nothing against it, we're just comfortable with a Windows environment as that's what the schools here use and what we have used for 20 years or however long it's been since I got rid of my Commodore 64. ***

If its only a kick around the internet PC, grab an ACER or HP.

Cheap and reliable. I'm still not a Dell fan but I've heard that they have gotten better as well.

I don't know if there's really enough of a difference in the brands other than personal preference. I'd be against buying a Compaq and shy away from HP, but for no other reasons that events from 10 years ago. I'm sure they're fine now, or at least all comparable to each other.

Personally, I'd go with a barebones kit from TigerDirect or NewEgg and load Ubuntu on it. I've never used any o f the service options on the Dells or IBMs that I've bought and individual components are generally just cheap enough to replace, especially on desktops.

Only other advice I'd throw out there is to keep an eye on DealNews.com. They toss out some good deals on desktops every now and then, although a lot of the focus is on laptops lately. Actually, along those lines, also consider that a laptop with an external monitor and USB keyboard/mouse is just as functional as a "desktop" with the added ability to take it with you at times. Just something to keep in mind. :)

-John

If its only a kick around the internet PC, grab an ACER or HP.

Cheap and reliable. I'm still not a Dell fan but I've heard that they have gotten better as well.

Wow, -52. I would not wish that on anybody. Im with Wurm though. Acers are a little cheaper but the one my father owns has been good to him. My wife has a Dell laptop and I hate it. I use to have a Toshiba and it never gave me any troubles and lasted for about 8 years. Im not sure how the newer models are but it may be something to look at.
Good luck

One other question...

I see most everything comes with Windows 7 64-bit of some sort. Will I be able to run the current software I run on XP Pro? I really don't want to have to buy Office and Photoshop again.

One other question...

I see most everything comes with Windows 7 64-bit of some sort. Will I be able to run the current software I run on XP Pro? I really don't want to have to buy Office and Photoshop again.

Probably not in a lot of cases unless they are 64 bit as well...However I think there is a 32 bit compatibility mode you can run the OS in, but there is some speed degradation....

One other question...

Absoutely. 32 bit software runs just fine in W7-64. I'm running it at home and work, and love it.

If you get the pro version of windows 7 it has a virtual machine version of XP built into it.

I personally have never needed it though, not one of my apps doesn't work with 7.

10 years ago and I'd agree with the stay away from HP.

10 years ago we still had people using Pentium Pros so yeah, you really can't compare.

And Ubuntu? Seriously? You trying to drive Alan crazy John?

One other question...

Probably not in a lot of cases unless they are 64 bit as well...However I think there is a 32 bit compatibility mode you can run the OS in, but there is some speed degradation....

This is completely wrong, all current home use 32 bit software works fine with 64 bit Windows 7. In fact stay away from 64 bit office, even Microsoft says it isn't ready.

The big thing with 64 bit windows is you no longer have the 3.5 gigs of RAM limitation. So with 64 bit Windows 7 you can put in as much RAM as your motherboard supports.

If you get the pro version of windows 7 it has a virtual machine version of XP built into it.

I personally have never needed it though, not one of my apps doesn't work with 7.

10 years ago and I'd agree with the stay away from HP.

10 years ago we still had people using Pentium Pros so yeah, you really can't compare.

And Ubuntu? Seriously? You trying to drive Alan crazy John?

One other question...

This is completely wrong, all current 32 bit software works fine with 64bit Windows 7. In fact stay away from 64 bit office, even Microsoft says it isn't ready.
That's good to hear.

And yeah, I'm not looking to "experiment" with any alternative OS's. I just want a Windows machine so this is as simple for all of us as it can be.

10 years ago I was into that sort of thing (and fully informed on most things computer related), but now I just don't want to mess with it.

Definitely stay away from HP. Mine is in for round four for repairs in the last year. I've had the LCD screen replaced. The MB twice. Two charger adaptors. The battery (even though I take it out and have the charge on the lowest setting). Don't even get me started on the Quick Play feature!

I should have listened to my instincts about HP instead of the snot nosed salesman................. "You'll love HP & Vista! Trust me you can't go wrong with it."

What a turd!

Threadjack:

Can anyone tell me opinions on ASUS laptops?

Apparently they build solid mother boards. The laptops I saw looked pretty solid and durable. Just wondering what the opinions are here?

This is completely wrong, all current home use 32 bit software works fine with 64 bit Windows 7. In fact stay away from 64 bit office, even Microsoft says it isn't ready.
....not sure about that. I'm running Office 2010 64-bit at home and work on 64-bit W7 and it FLIES. The software is able to address all the RAM I have and it's amazingly fast and completely stable.

The big thing with 64 bit windows is you no longer have the 3.5 gigs of RAM limitation. So with 64 bit Windows 7 you can put in as much RAM as your motherboard supports.
Correct. Not only that, but W7 uses the RAM very well....I have 8GB at home, 12GB at work and things just blast open and run great. Really nice.

Most folks find the area of dimishing return at about 4GB. I've put several W7-64 machines together for friends with 4GB's and they run very well.

Definitely stay away from HP. Mine is in for round four for repairs in the last year. I've had the LCD screen replaced. The MB twice. Two charger adaptors. The battery (even though I take it out and have the charge on the lowest setting). Don't even get me started on the Quick Play feature!

I should have listened to my instincts about HP instead of the snot nosed salesman................. "You'll love HP & Vista! Trust me you can't go wrong with it."

What a turd!

Threadjack:

Can anyone tell me opinions on ASUS laptops?

Apparently they build solid mother boards. The laptops I saw looked pretty solid and durable. Just wondering what the opinions are here?

Hey, stop jacking my thread! :p

I have an ASUS laptop and I love it. I had one of their netbooks before (TheWife(c) uses it now) and loved it, too. I've never had any problems with either in the combined 3 years we've had them. YMMV, of course, but I've had good luck with them.

I personally like Dell's

Keep it simple! :D

We are a Dell shop, yes, but I'd be ok with anything that worked well.

If you are looking for a good deal - hit up the Dell refurbished and even look on that site for 'pre ordered, not shipped' items(or some such thing).
Those were cancelled oreders and you get a resonable discount. If you go with a refurbished unit...you still get full support and warranty.

I always suggest to get a full 3 year support contract.

Now if you want to go even more inexpensive and can wait a little....check out "slickdeals" on a regular basis as deals are posted all the time.

Happy hunting!

(oh yea, no reason to NOT go WIndows 7 x64! )

Damn - That is some cold temps - Maybe you should call Al Gore and let him know.

You might want to take a look at this:

http://deals.woot.com/sellout

SORRY - JUST SAW IT IS NOW SOLD OUT.

Damn - That is some cold temps - Maybe you should call Al Gore and let him know.

You might want to take a look at this:

http://deals.woot.com/sellout

SORRY - JUST SAW IT IS NOW SOLD OUT.

I'm not big on AMD stuff...but I really wanted to mention to look at the fine print on these, as some are 'refurbished' unit deals.
Not that that's all bad, just know what you are buying.

Here's a notebook deal posted on slickdeals:

HP Core i 3 notebook for $419 ShippedNewegg has a $30.00 promo code for HP ProBook 4520s
Intel Core i3 370M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 2GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...34-157-531

Good brand, good CPU for day to day usage. if you think memory or hard drive to small, those are easy/low cost upgrade.

Promo Code:
HPNBR3
Duration: 1/21-1/23

No reason to just keep the lid closed and hook up a monitor,keyboead and mouse!

Asus laptops were better 6 yrs ago before they went mass production. Now I wouldn't go with anything less than Lenovo. Desktops are all pretty much the same though.

As someone who had a motherboard fried by a nearby lightning strike (wife knew to unplug the computer in an electrical storm but neglected to disconnect the modem and/or phone line...), I've learned the hard way of the importance of a legit, heavy-duty back up universal power supply with a built-in surge protector instead of just using cheap power strips that supposedly act as surge protectors.

Buy one with more outlets than you think you'll need, not only because of the staggering number of devices that each require a power supply, but because their plugs are often so stinking big and the outlet holes are typically spaced close enough together that you'll inevitably wind up with some inaccessible outlets...