• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any colorblind members here?

Ginseng

Banned
Just wondering, since colorblindness of one type or another is supposed to affect around 7% of men so there should be over 200 guys here with this condition.

I have difficulty telling some shades of blue from purple and some greens from some browns. I still have distinct memories of taking the color test in grammar school and seeing page after page of dots with no discernible or the wrong discernible pattern.

Still, as I walk around, the world seems vibrant and colorful. It's only when my wife tells me how brown the lawn is or that I've chosen a blue something when I should have picked a purple something that I realize I'm missing something.

I'd be curious to hear about your experiences with color and color blindness.

Wilkey

Yup. Pretty severely color blind. Red green and whatever the other major one is. I feel the same way....I can see that things are colorful, just might not know that there is a shade difference where there is one.

Colorblind as all get out... its so bad my wife will no longer let me go buy clothes by myself lol.

I am colorblind too. Blue, green and purple look the same for me, as well as red and orange.

Interesting!

I forgot to mention that some reds and oranges also look indistinguishable to me.

Curious thing about color blindness, for colors that we cannot discriminate in terms of hue, we are still able to discriminate in terms of value. That is, one looks darker or lighter than the other. I took an art class once and we had open critique and while the other students were getting all bent about the color use, I could comment about the tonal differences in the work. I had a totally different perception of the piece that the folks with normal color vision just could not see. :D

Wilkey

Very interesting thread Wilkey, I am not colorblind myself (hearing issues are my sensory downfall) but I am very interested in the responses that are coming in.

Does this take away from your cigar smoking at all? I love to look at how deep the hue is on some rosado wrappers or look at the differences between different Maduros, is this possible(in a different way) for those of you who are color blind?

CYG

Red/Green here... not like stop lights are a problem, but every year for my physical, they have us lok at those dot patterns, and every year I see ones that I'm not supposed to! This year a young lady looked and me and ask, "Are you serious? where?"

:laugh:

Now you need to ask about 'selective hearing'. I never hear anything my wife asks me to do!

:cool:

I'm not but my ex-wife is! :laugh: I had a light green 1982 Buick Century and she SWORE up and down it was blue. :laugh: Her father was VERY color blind. :0 Sometimes the apple don't fall far from the tree. :whistling:

My fiancee actually just told me the other day that her car was green. I thought it was a deep red the whole time we have been together.

I'm not but my ex-wife is! :laugh: I had a light green 1982 Buick Century and she SWORE up and down it was blue. :laugh: Her father was VERY color blind. :0 Sometimes the apple don't fall far from the tree. :whistling:

Wow, as far as I understand, it's VERY rare for females to be color-blind. This is why in many high-end photo labs all the technicians who develop the photos are women. They also have women choosing colors for cigar wrappers because of this as well.

Hey Cville,
I can see minute differences in value quite well. In a sense, it's like taking a picture of something colorful but using black and white film. All you will see is a spectrum of value from white to black. I do see a fair portion of the color spectrum except for a few muddled stretches so it's not quite as extreme as the example I gave.

I can see discriminate different levels of maduro-ness but any patches of reddish or greenish color blend right into the rest of the wrapper. I sometimes ask my wife to tell me what color a cigar wrapper is.

Swissy,
That's harsh! :D So much for bedside manner.

Zee,
Right on. My wife has excellent color vision. But she has a rather poor sense for parallelism, squareness and general proportionality. I guess together we make a pretty good team.

Wilkey

I'm not colorblind, but I wish I was flat out blind every time I happen to see Zeebra's avatar. :cool:

...much, much better Zeebra - thanks! :laugh:

Years ago I had a roomate when I was in the service. We both had to take yearly flight physicals which included the color blindness test. We normally went out for a beer every night, but one day he told me he had to stay home and "study for his flight physical". Later that night he showed me that he had written down the numbers he was supposed to "see" during the flip card color test. Every year he had to memorize them in order so he could pass the physical and keep his flight status (more pay!). That's when I learned that he was color blind...I just thought he had terrible fashion sense!

That year was a bad year for him though, somebody had not reset the color flip cards back to the beginning and the doctor flipped them starting on card 3. My buddy didn't know it and he rattled the numbers off in the order he memorized them...starting from card 1. The flight surgeon was a good guy though and didn't say anything at the time. He waited until the consultation at the end of the physical when my buddy was in his office and it was just the two of them. The doc is going over his numbers, heart rate, bp, blood tests, etc...then casually asks him "So, how long have you been color blind?". "All my life" says my buddy. Busted!

The doc gave him two choices...come clean, lose his flight status and probably get in big trouble for fraud...including having to pay back thousands of dollars for his years of flight status

or

don't re-enlist (he was due to get out before his next flight physical).

Needless to say, that was the end of my buddy's army career.

I can see discriminate different levels of maduro-ness but any patches of reddish or greenish color blend right into the rest of the wrapper. I sometimes ask my wife to tell me what color a cigar wrapper is.

All Wilkey's cigar reviews are suspect now. He'll review something he calls a maduro when it's actually a candela. ;)

I am very color blind. I can’t tell shades of colors. I guess that’s why all 3 of my cars are black and my older ones were white. :laugh:

My hearing has been shit since the 80's, but my eyesight is excellent with way above average night vision.