• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

any one try the Cigars International Legends series?

Just got a box of the orange labels, and look forward to picking up some other colors. This thread has been very helpful. Thanks for the effort guys.

I smoked this one a while ago...Here's the review:

Saturday June 18 2006

Legends Cigars - Blue (Matasas)

standard.jpg

All the cigars in the Legends series are the same size, 5.75” x 54 with a target price of $5. This cigar was purchased as part of a Legends sampler from CigarBid and spent about 6 weeks resting in my coolerdor.

standard.jpg

Prelight activities:

The cigar was firmer than the previous cigars in this line. Wrapper was on tight. I used the blade of my pocket knife to peel the label and it came right off.

It smelled good, sort of woodsy.

I punched it and the pre-light draw was tight, but smokeable.

First 3rd:

The cigar gave off lots of smoke right from the beginning, even with the tight draw. The taste was a pretty spicy at first, but mellowed a bit after a couple of puffs.

Within an inch or so, the cigar developed a nice white ash.

standard.jpg

Middle 3rd:

Even though I had just eaten lunch, I could feel the buzz from this cigar. It was a strong tasting cigar with a nic-kick. The smoke was thick and spicy, with sort of a sweet, clean aftertaste. I really enjoyed skipping a few afternoon yard chores and spending some time with this cigar (doing this review was on my “chore” list for the weekend, so it wasn’t like I was totally goofing off… ).

Last 3rd:

I slowed down on the smoking of this cigar at about the middle point due to the nic-buzz I had going. A little ways into the last 1/3 I had to call it quits. Even though it was a bit strong for me, I enjoyed it. For me, it would probably be better as an after dinner cigar rather than an after lunch cigar.

Total smoking time: 1 hour.

Summary:

It’s a medium to strong cigar, so probably best smoked later in the day. Spicy with a sweet, clean aftertaste. I really enjoyed it.

Blue Label :love:

Construction:
A fully loaded cigar with a moist sponge feel. The color was a medium brown. The wrap was smooth and silky.

The cigar was clipped then toasted with a cheap single flame torch.
The initial draw had a lot of flavors zooming out.

The cigar began with little woody cedar notes. As I look at the cut end all I see is many many packed leaves. There was no room for anymore unlike you see in most cigars. This cigar really supplies all that they say it does. As the cigar goes on I taste hints of sweetness. Reminds me of my go to cigar SLR Reglios. The smoke is nice and thick. The burn is even.

The second third starts and I the cigar over to see if the ash falls off, and hell no not on this bad boys. The smoke kept coming with a thick white cloud. The sweetness was fully there. This continued through the second third

The third and final section had a good kick. It was not until now that the ash fell all over me. It was well worth it . I finished this cigar with a nice buzz.

Over all this is one of the best cigars of the group so far IMHO. I will be buying a box of these. I just can't believe they are only a $3 cigar, it tastes more like a $10 stick.

Thanks again Joe, and I agree with you this is a great after dinner cigar, not meant for after a lite lunch.

I have a few purple labels in my humi right now...had one today and wasn't that impressed however if you'd like to try one or two, PM me an addy and I'll send a couple your way...

i have been impressed with a few of the legends. looking to get my hands on the Copper labels (drew estates) to check it out

Never been impressed with the series as a whole, but after reading the reviews it looks like I need to give the Blues a try. To date, I've only smoked the White and Red.

Thanks for the great reviews, guys! Keep em coming! :thumbs:

Thanks for the great reviews guys. The whole idea of the Legends series is interesting, and it's nice to see straightforward opinions on the varieties.

Joe, Wow once again thank you for being such a generous BOTL. Today I recieved my package. Great selection of PC's thanks.

Hey Clint - Why don't you pick the next cigar for review? Black, Purple or Copper?

Richard - You still have the Blue to review, right? We'll wait to post the next review until you get your Blue review done.

Sorry about that Joe, I've been busy moving back and going to job interviews. I found time to smoke the blue one last night:

Blue Label

Same as usual, double gullotine, torch.

Prelight: The gar was very earthy and woody from the prelight draw. The pinch test told me the gar was on the soft side, had some give to it.

It took a little effort to light up the gar, more than ususal. As I lit it up, the gar was very mellow in the first third. The gar was very woody mixed with some nutty flavors.

As the 2nd third rolled around, the gar was burning very uneven, I had to even it out with my torch a few times. The nutty flavors were less and less prevalent, and the woody/earthy flavors came out to play.

Last third: I was having a hard time keeping this lit, I tried my best. The flavors were the same as the second third, the only difference was the difficulty in keeping this puppy happy and lit.

I felt the nicotine buzz on this one, though not as bad as the orange label. I liked the first third the best. Smoke time was approximately 1 hour 30min.

Sorry, no pictures for this one.

Ok, looks like we are all caught with 3 more to go. I should be able to get to 1 or 2 of them this weekend. I'm looking forward to smoking the last 3, looks like they are in the medium strength range...perfect for me.

Have a happy and safe 4th weekend!

Thanks Joe, you and the rest of the BOTL have a happy and safe Independence Day.

Copper it is. I included Brickhhouse in the last shipment, so he'll be playing along with the last 3.

Copper it is. I included Brickhhouse in the last shipment, so he'll be playing along with the last 3.

Hells yeah, copper sounds good. Thanks again for the shipment Joe. I look forward to participating in this great thread.

This gar was probably my favorite out of all of the gars I've reviewed.

Prelight: the same as usual. The draw was where the difference was. The wrapper had an overwhelming sweetness to it. The pinch test showed some good pinch to it with a nice draw (not too tight, not too loose).

First-third: The gar's sweetness was very sweet due to the wrapper, the smoke was very smooth and creamy. This gar was an easy smoke.

Second-third: The draw was very smooth and creamy. The burn was even the whole time thus far. I can help but lick my lips after every puff to get that sweetness into my mouth.

Last-third: The burn was getting less even as it was getting closer and closer to the nub. The sweetness was subsiding but was still apparent. The smoke was creamy and nutty/cocoa'ish the whole time.

This gar was my favorite because the sweetness of the wrapper made this very pleasurable. The coronas I had accompanying the gar was very sweet also and they paired up nicely. At the end of this gar, I wanted to light up another one because I liked it so much. Normally, I'm done after one gar for the day, but this one was different. Looks like I'll be investing in a box of these. As Tony the Tiger says, "they're GRRRRREEAT!" :thumbs:

Monday July 3 2006

Legends Cigars - Copper Label (Drew Estate)

Prelight:
- Very well constructed, slight crack on the foot, but that wasn’t an issue as I knew it would be gone immediately after lighting.
- Had a slight give on the squeeze, not too much, what I would consider “just right”
- The first sniff revealed a very prominent amaretto flavor.
- I punched it with no issues
- Prelight draw was very nice, not too loose, definitely not too tight.
- Place the ‘gar in my mouth, and WOW, the sweetness about knocked me outta my chair.

Light – 1st third:
- Light went well and it was easy to start off with a full burn, very little blowing required to ensure a full burn.
- The first couple of puffs gave a plethora amount of smoke and gave me the thought that this would be a pleasurable smoke.
- From the get go I knew this ‘gar was going to be WAY to sweet for my tastes. I’m not big on sweet wrappers and this one was over the top IMO.
- The bouquet was very strong with orange/amaretto. I even got many comments from the others how they could smell the orange in the air.
- Towards the back half of the 1st third I had a nice white ash going. I would let this fall on it’s own at the beginning of the middle third.
- Zero burn issues at this point
- Also towards the back half of this third and entering the middle third, my draw became less full of smoke. The draw wasn’t tightening, I could just no longer create that amount of smoke I was wanting. I found myself puffing 3-4 times to get a good amount.

Middle Third:
- Immediately into the middle third the ash drops off.
- Still overpowering sweetness to the wrapper. Causing me to spit very often to rid myself of it.
- After the ash fell off, I observe the foot and notice three distinct black holes in the ash. Pretty sure I had a few hot spots, which most likely led to the lack of a good pull of smoke.
- It was around this time I caught a few hints of pepper, they were very welcomed but short lived.
- I removed the band, leaving a slight glue spot blemish, no big deal
- Towards the back half of this third I picked up on some nuttiness and the smoke grew thicker and creamier, very much welcomed.
- The sweetness remains, I’ve gone to sipping water and spitting.

Final Third:
- Not much changing on the last third. The burn remains in great shape and the “holes” have disappeared.
- At this point the sweetness is about 50% of what it started at, but still too much for me, the spitting continues.
- At the very end the head starts to bust up and it begins to burn hot. No real reason to continue.

Summary:

Overall I can’t knock the quality of the cigar. It performed most of the areas very well. I just simply could not get past the sweetness. It just totally owned the cigar and made it difficult for me to taste much else.

If you like the sweet wrappers then I can see how this would be a tasty smoke, and I would actually recommend it to those who like this type. Myself, I will most likely never have another.

My first in-depth review ever though and I really enjoyed doing it. It was challenging for me and even though I didn’t particularly enjoy the cigar, I had a lot of fun reviewing it.

Looking forward to the next CI Legend to review!!!

Edited for formatting

I smoked this one on July 2 2006:

Legends Cigars - Copper (Drew Estates)

All the cigars in the Legends series are the same size, 5.75” x 54 with a target price of $5. This cigar was purchased from CigarBid recently and spent about 2 weeks resting in my coolerdor.
standard.jpg

Prelight activities:

The cigar was about the right amount of firm. It was a mottled brown/tan color.
standard.jpg

At the foot of the cigar, there were some veins that had a greenish tinge...
standard.jpg

You can see one of them running up from the foot of the cigar.

The prelight aroma reminded me of something, but I couldn’t place it.

I punched it and the pre-light draw was sweet. Immediately I recognized this as a flavored cigar from the Drew line. This cigar tasted like it had been dipped in vanilla and rolled in powdered sugar. That vanilla smell was the aroma I couldn't place.

First 3rd:

I lit it with some matches and it gave off lots of smoke. Every puff was accompanied by a lip smacking sweetness that was very strong. I drank some water too dilute the sweetness. After about the first ½” the ash wasn’t looking too stable, so I knocked it off with a slight tap.

Middle 3rd:

By the middle of the cigar, I was pretty much over the sweetness (it was just too much for me). My wife wandered out and took a couple of puffs…she described it as a “dessert cigar”. By the end of the middle 3rd, the sweetness was starting to lessen just a bit, but was still very noticeable. I was starting to feel a bit of a nic-kick.

I started thinking about matching this cigar with something to drink. Something very dry and crisp to match the sweetness of the cigar...I came up with a very dry Champagne...then I started thinking...flavored cigars and chamagne...geez that's pretty scary. Who would have thought that a cigar could turn you gay!

Last 3rd:

During the last 3rd, I started having some burn problems which I corrected with some extra puffing and rotating. During the extra puffing I started to notice the hotness. Combined with the sweetness, the spicy sweetness reminded me of “cinnamon toothpicks” from elementary school days. Sweet, but too hot to hold with your lips. The cigar started to go south a few puffs into the last 3rd (acrid, hot smoke) and I let it go out.

Total smoking time: 1 hour.

Summary:

If you like flavored cigars this might be one to try. I’ve smoked a couple of the Drew estates cigars and mostly I don’t like flavored cigars. I have enjoyed a couple of the Java cigars, but even for them, you have to be in the mood. It was OK, but I wouldn’t be in a hurry to smoke another one.

Copper

Description and Construction:

This cigar is a beautiful light brown cigar. Not really vein but, a gorgeous sh-it brown. Had to say it. Sponginess is perfect just the right amount of moisture. This cigar is being accompanied by a glass of water. I am also sick, so I hope that I get accurate tastes.

I decide to cut the cap slightly with a razor blade and peel the cap. I read this in a recent tread thought I would give it a shoot.

First draw is successfully and lights pretty easy with a stick match. Good beginning with decent amount of smoke.

First part I taste sweet cherry flavor. A couple of puffs later yes even sweeter. Imho the need to calm this cigar a little. No burn issue a good ash. The smoke is good no problems.

Second part stays sweet cherry with and orange flavor coming through. The taste is similar to Makers Mark. If you have not had one it is a rum dipped cigar full of flavors, one of me favorites with a MGD. The ash start to run a little so a little fixing is going on.

The third part has changed incredible. That over whelming sweetness has lessened. A new spicy taste is coming through. Sorry I forget the first ash fell between the first and second third. The smoke is still coming, and the burn is getting hotter.

Over all a OK cigar. I enjoy sweet wraps not an a regular basis. I will not be being these again I will stick to the Makers Mark for sweetness.

Thanks Joe and happy to see Brickhouse in the mix .