• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

any one try the Cigars International Legends series?

Cool...everybody stepped right up! Hey Brickhouse, Black or Purple next? Your choice....

Purple it is. I've been looking forward to this one myself.

I have a few purple labels in my humi right now...had one today and wasn't that impressed however if you'd like to try one or two, PM me an addy and I'll send a couple your way...
This one has been panned by every reviewer I've read so far. The consensus is it's ok but from Graycliff one would expect something exceptional. It would seem Graycliff just didn't care about a blend from which they couldn't immediately profit. I guess that fits with the ridiculous MSRP of their regular line.

I was going to wait and see what the take was on these last three but they're up for auction so I'm going ahead without you guys! :laugh: Thanks for all the effort and info :p

Purple Label:

Prelight: The pinch was a little on the firm side. The smell of the gar was of a woody/earthy scent. I cut the gar with my new Xikar Xi cutter. The prelight draw had nothing unusual or extraordinary.

First third: As I lit it up, the gar had mostly a spicy taste to it. The draw was nice, not too much smoke with this cigar.

Second Third: As I'm puffing, the spicy taste subsides and the cigar has a very nutty taste. The ash has a medium grey to it and falls off on its own at this point.

Last Third: Nothing much really changed. The cigar burnt well and was even with no touchup really needed. It wasn't too hot when I smoked it all the way to the nub.

This cigar was more of a medium cigar with a very nutty flavor to it. The draw was nice and the burn was even. Nothing spectacular about this one.

CI Legends Purple
Saturday July 9, 2006

Interestingly the cellophane on this cigar was cut off straight at the foot. Not sure if this is for all the purple series or just this one.
standard.jpg

After I removed the cello and the band, it was obvious that this cigar was misshapen. It was lumpy, uneven and crooked. Viewed from on-end, it curved slightly like a banana.
standard.jpg

It felt firm, but not too firm

I moistened the head in preparation for punching...the cigar tasted peppery and a bit sour. The pre-light draw was just right.

I lit it with matches (2). The first couple of puffs were strong and acrid. I coughed a bit. There was lots of smoke and the taste mellowed out by the 3rd puff. As I smoked it, the end of the cigar started to get a bit spongy and it got progressively more spongy the more I smoked it. The only cigar I've smoked that was more spongy was a fake Cohiba. By the end of the first 1/3 of the cigar, the smoke had died away and I was having to do double and triple draws to get enough smoke to make the cigar worth smoking.
standard.jpg

It started to run a bit, but then fixed itself.
standard.jpg

Middle 1/3
The cigar continue to feel less and less firm (spongy) but the smoke ramped back up to a more acceptable level. I went back to single draws. I could feel a bit of a nicotine buzz.

Last 1/3
I had to put a match to it to fix the burn. The cigar developed a hot, nasty taste that subsided some after several puffs but didn't go away completely. I took another 5 or 6 puffs and tossed it.
standard.jpg

Total smoking time 1 hour 5 minutes.

Summary
My least favorite smoke so far of the Legends line. This cigar was nothing special in taste. By the last third of the cigar, it was so spongy it was hard to hold in my mouth. This cigar was so poorly constructed, that if somebody had given it to me without a band, I would have thought it a fake of some kind and probably just thrown it away.

Haven't lit it up yet. We are having some wind storms out here and it's not very good "cigar review" type weather if you know what I mean.

I'll try and get this reviewed in the next 2 days.

Purple

Description and Construction:

This stick is a medium brown wrap. There is some slight peel on the wrap with some apparent veins showing. It does not have much of a sponge feel.

Initial draw is not a lot of smoke. No overwhelming taste are jumping out.

1st part is very earthy. I really am not enjoying the start. The smoke continues to be light. The burn is even I think that is the best part so far lol.

2nd part begins to change to a light coffee taste, oh I'm sorry stale coffee taste. The smoke continues to be light I ash the cigar about a little less then half of the cigar.

3rd part is as good as the first. Wow this is becoming a dog rocket. The ash is nice so sorry this stick is done and in the garbage.

This is on the top of my decline if given again. I am glad I review this and not bought a fiver or even worse a box. Do not give this another thought DO NOT BUY imho.

Thanks Joe Sorry for the weak review but, this cigar sucked......and thanks for helping with my poor spelling

No problem....The Purple one wasn't my favorite either.

Everybody but BH is on the last one (Black). He's having some weather related delays, so we'll give him a day or so to get his part done, otherwise just catch up when ya can BH!

We will start posting the Black reviews on Saturday...Ok for everybody?

Hopefully we are all still having fun...although smoking the Purple one was more like work than fun for me....

Cheers,
Joe

Weather has settled down a bit, I'm gonna spark this one tonight. Review to follow.

Monday July 3 2006

Legends Cigars - Purple Label (Graycliff)

Prelight:
- Well constructed with a slight break on the foot (my fault, I dropped it)
- Very spongey to the squeeze, more so than any other cigar I've had
- It had a suede like appreance
- The darkness was very attractive and really made it look yummy.
- The first sniff didn't reveal much IMO. A little woody if anything.
- I cut it with my palio with little difficulty but a slight give due to the sponginess.
- Prelight draw was a little thick, not much taste on the wrapper, a little nutty.

Light – 1st third:
- Light went well and it was easy to start off with a full burn, but almost immediately some touchups were required. Had to wet the wrapper in an area to slow down a hot spot.
- The first few puffs didn't do much for me. It wasn't putting out much smoke and again, the softness of this 'gar was making it difficult.
- This smoke did nothing to grab my attention in the 1st third.

Middle Third:
- The ash had already fallen once by this point and did so again. It was a weak ash, very dark grey colored. It just didn't have those concentric circles you look for, very spotty.
- I was hoping some taste would reveal at this point and it did. Unfortunately it was a putrid taste IMO. I actually thought something must be wrong with this thing, surely it wasn't as bad as I had though.
- I removed the band, no issues with that, came right off, no wrapper damage.
- The only taste I could pull out of this thing at this point was the nuttyness, but it wasn't a good one, it was like that rotten walnut you accidentally throw in your mouth when your not paying attention.

Final Third:
- The end of this 'gar can't be near enough at this point.
- It continues to have burn issues and the taste has not improved.
- At the beginning of this last portion the barrel begins to crack a bit, which I welcomed because it gave me an excuse to say it was done.

Summary:

I tried very hard to find something I liked about this cigar. Usually there is at least something good about any cigar. I am sorry to say I could not find anything. There was nothing that would make me want to give it another try. This smoke was just off target.

If I had to sum up the taste in two words it would be, rotten walnuts.

But hell, it's a 'gar and any day smokin a 'gar is a good one. These types of experiences definitely serve a purpose. They bring you back to square 1 and make you realize what the good ones taste like. One of those "if there were no evil there would be no good" type of things, lol.

I had fun nonetheless, and I guess that's what it's all about.

Can't wait for the black though!!!!

It seems to be unanimous - Graycliff sucks. I've always thought their regular line was good but a lousy value. And they have another lousy value here - just in a different price range.:p

Thanks for the great reviews guys.

Wyatt - Great review! Way to tough it out soldier! :laugh: :laugh:

Glad the storms have taken a break and you can go out and play!

I guess we all agree pretty much on the Purple Legend. It sucked.

I've gone back and looked at the pictures I took...the crookedness of the cigar doesn't really come through the pictures, but you can see it if you look for it. I wish I was a better photographer and could have snapped a few pictures hilighting the crappy rolling job....crooked and spongy!

On to the Black gentlemen!

Cheers,
Joe

Black Label

This cigar has been resting in my humi the longest being that it IS the last cigar in our review. I will miss doing the reviews and all the fun I've had thanks to Joe.

Prelight: I cut the cigar as usual with my Xikar cutter and took a nice pre-light draw. The predominate feeling was the taste of a woodsy/earthy flavor. The draw was nice, not too tight, not too loose, just the way I like it :D.

First 3rd: As I lit the cigar with my torch, it took a few puffs to get the puppy going. After being lit, the cigar had a nice even burn to it. There was a hint of spicyness to it with a nutty like flavor. I thought to myself that this was a pretty mild cigar.

2nd 3rd: As the 2nd 3rd rolled around, the ash (not sure of the color because I smoked it at night when it was dark relaxing under the stars) had a not too loose, not too tight of a construction when it dropped on its own. The spicyness was more subtle now and there was a sweetness to the cigar along with the nutty flavor.

Last 3rd: The ash fell on its own again at this point. The cigar still had a nice draw to it and was still smooth to this point. The flavors is of a sweet nutty flavor still which was enjoyable to say the least. The burn was not hot when I smoked it to the nub.

This cigar was enjoyable and I would buy a 5-er to have around to smoke with friends.
I would like to thank Joe for this opportunity of reviewing all of the CI Legend cigars. It's been a real blast, lots of fun and very interesting. Again, thank you Joe!

Black Label :love:
Construction:
This is one of the darkest wraps of the bunch. The cigar is very silky and smooth. There are no strong veins apparent. The smells that are coming off the cigar is a sweet peanut. The pinch factor is about 1/4 in an inch, so nice sponginess.

I cut the cigar between the caps with a guillotine cutter. The filler really looks packed.
Then the cigar is toasted with the trusty Colibri torch.

The first draw was woodsy taste and full of a lot of smoke.

The first third starts like the initial draw woodsy but light. The draw is simple and smooth. The smoke is plentiful. The flavor continues with a slight hint of sweetness.
The ash is even with a nice dark gray color. It is a little windy out but my ash stays intact.

The second part is where the sweetness is getting more apparent. This is one of those very enjoyable sweet flavors like biting into a perfect strawberry. The smoke continues to be strong and the ash is staying strong. Oops there goes the ash all over. The ash made it almost to the half way point. The taste continues as I finished the second part.

The third begins with the change to a little nutty with a spicy kick. This is a good buzz cigar. The flavors begin to come out as I continue this third. The ash has never gone astray and the smoke never calmed down. I love the spicy pepper kick to end this cigar.

This cigar will take you on a roller coaster ride. Great flavors from start to finish. This is the way you should feel with a good smoke. Highly recommend for people to try a fiver. :love:

OK this was the best experience I have had. Thank you very much Joe for providing this great opportunity to me and our members. :thumbs: I am so glad I was doing my daily search of new treads here on CigarPass and came across this great chance to try new cigars for free. What the hell else can you ask for, but Joe of coarse could not of let it end there. Not only did he provide all the cigars for us to review, he also gifted us a great selection of other sticks for us to enjoy. Thanks Joe for really showing me what a true BOTL can give and give and give. I hope one day I might be able to repay you for your kindness.
Thanks you,
Clint- occifer143 :D

Looks like we picked the right one to end on. Great reviews thus far, looking forward to mine, gonna spark it up tonight.

Wednesday July 19 2006

Legends Cigars - Black Label (La Aurora)

Prelight:
- Very well constructed, beautiful dark appearance made it look just plain yummy
- Firm to the squeeze but not overly so, good feel
- Very well balanced, easy to roll back and forth within my palm
- Little woodsy on the smell, but nothing really stood out to me.
- I cut it using the “lobotomy” technique in which I removed just the cap.
- Prelight draw was slightly on the loose side, but not drastic. Good spiciness to it.

Light – 1st third:
- Light was great, pretty easy to start a full burn with the easy draw
- Started off really liking the subtle spice, just my type, too much spice turns me off, but this was right on. I was excited that this smoke going to perform well.
- Burn tried to get a bit off course, but it corrected itself
- I was impressed with the amount of smoke I was pulling each puff, even though the draw seemed a bit loose, it was a plethora of thick smoke, great
- At one point here, I was enjoying it so much I had forgotten to keep taking notes, I just got too much into the taste and enjoyment….which is awesome.

Middle Third:
- Ash is holding strong here. It’s a nice straight dark ash. Nice concentric circles, just what you look for.
- At this point the spice starts to fade a bit, which disappointed me slightly, but a hint of amaretto was there. Not my favorite taste, but it wasn’t a let down. I just wished the spice was still there.
- I got a pretty good ash at this point and decide a picture is in order.

niceashfy2.jpg

- About 30 seconds after this pic, it falls to the table, dang!

Final Third:
- Not much changes at this point, it’s holding it’s own and I’m really diggin’ it.
- Still a great amount of smoke, burn is great, draw is great
- I would say the taste has faded slightly into a woodsy theme, still very tasty.

Summary:

There was a lot of pressure on this ‘gar for me, because I’d yet to really have any CI Legend that I thought I would smoke again, but it pulled it off. I really thought this stick was enjoyable and wouldn’t hesitate to grab a 5’er for the right price. La Aurora has done themselves well here with this blend. Bravo!

In closing, Joe thanks a ton for including me in this review process. I had a ball doing it and really enjoyed the others as well throughout the thread. I appreciate your willingness to offer up a load of smokes to us for the reviewing process. You’re a true BOTL.

Thanks a bunch, it was great!!

Thanks to everyone involved! :thumbs: It was a great journey, and thanks for taking us along for the ride!

What an awesome adventure of cigar reviews. Thanks to Joe for making this happen, and all the participants for giving some great reviews.

Very nice everybody. It worked out great for me too! Where else could I get a bunch of guys to smoke a variety of cigars and post their opinions. Sure it sounds like a great idea...."free cigars and all you have to do is post your review"...until you are 1/2 way through some dog-turd of a cigar and it's only then you realize that some of the cigars you agreed to smoke and review might be really crappy! Yeah, like this one! Then you think to yourself, "Hey, when did smoking a cigar turn into a job? Who's idea was this?" :laugh: :laugh:

Cigar reviewer - it's not all glamour and fame. :cool:

I smoked my Black label two nights ago but haven't had time to post the review. I'll try to get it posted tonight. I also enjoyed the cigar.

BH:
Nice pic and great ash! I'm too clumsy to ever get a decent ash. They always end up on my shirt!

Who does your decorating? I'm thinking those blast walls need a little something....