• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone cut with the Cello on?

Shibumi

Looking for Effortless Perfection
I'm sure most of you know about this, but DaveC showed me this a while back and it always amazes me. I don't keep the cello on my stash, so It's rare that I get to do it. Try it if you never have. It makes the cleanest cut.

jabba said:
Always, also keeps the blades sharper I find.
[snapback]284987[/snapback]​
My wife is a quiltor. She says nothing dulls scissors quicker that cutting paper. I suspect cello would be included. Just something to keep in mind.

Doc.

cutting any wood product is tough on your blades, but i don't think cello will. years in construction opening huge amounts of cardboard boxes. :cool:

Shibumi said:
I'm sure most of you know about this, but DaveC showed me this a while back and it always amazes me. I don't keep the cello on my stash, so It's rare that I get to do it. Try it if you never have. It makes the cleanest cut.
[snapback]284982[/snapback]​

That sounds really odd, I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip.

Devil Doc said:
jabba said:
My wife is a quiltor. She says nothing dulls scissors quicker that cutting paper. I suspect cello would be included. Just something to keep in mind.

Doc.
[snapback]284989[/snapback]​

Although cutting wood is harsher than cutting fabric, the primary culprit in the dulling of scissors when cutting paper is minerals. More precisely, papers that use mineral fillers to make paper more substantial or to whiten it.

Wilkey

The main point, is that you can use those cheapo cutters to get a clean, neat cut and not care about dulling. If you have a really expensive cutter, then you should get a clean cut without the cello. Beside's Xikar = Lifetime (sharpening) Guarantee. I use my Xikar. Ssshhh!!

Ginseng said:
Devil Doc said:
jabba said:

Doc.

Although cutting wood is harsher than cutting fabric, the primary culprit in the dulling of scissors when cutting paper is minerals. More precisely, papers that use mineral fillers to make paper more substantial or to whiten it.

Wilkey
[snapback]285004[/snapback]​
I knew you would have the definitive answer.

Devil Doc said:
jabba said:

Doc.

mine is not a professional opinion, just one based on personal experience.

Never heard of that ??? I guess I never thought of that as my Xikar always performs such clean surgical cuts that leaves me feeling oh so :cool:

Thanks for the tip

Normally when there is a cell0o wrapper, I cut with the cello on, no problem and a nice cut to boot. No muss no fuss, clean and neat.

I've always cut with the cello off but I'll try with it on. I use a xikar cutter.

Shibumi said:

Hmmm... never tried that, and I'm not sure I will. However, you kind of got my curiousity purked, perhaps I will try for the hell of it. :laugh:

Shibumi said:
I'm sure most of you know about this, but DaveC showed me this a while back and it always amazes me.  I don't keep the cello on my stash, so It's rare that I get to do it.  Try it if you never have.  It makes the cleanest cut.

How does it make any sense at all that cutting through an additional layer of anything would aid the cut, or keep a blade from dulling?

I call BS on this one. A clean cut is about technique and a decent blade, nothing more.

moki said:
Shibumi said:
I'm sure most of you know about this, but DaveC showed me this a while back and it always amazes me.  I don't keep the cello on my stash, so It's rare that I get to do it.  Try it if you never have.  It makes the cleanest cut.

How does it make any sense at all that cutting through an additional layer of anything would aid the cut, or keep a blade from dulling?

I call BS on this one. A clean cut is about technique and a decent blade, nothing more.
[snapback]285178[/snapback]​

I can't believe that you haven't heard about this. Are you messing with me?

Try it on one of those dog rockets you experiment with. :laugh: Use your worst cutter also. I'm not saying anything about dulling. That i'm sure can happen. It just makes a perfect cut for some reason.

Interesting, I’ll have to try it.