• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone else have this issue with the Tatuaje red tubo?

Joemisery

A little over a month ago I purchased a Tatuaje red tubo from my b&m. After letting it rest in my humidor, I decided to light it up this afternoon. As soon as I took it out of the tube, the wrapper immediately began to crack, split and flake rendering the stick unsmokable. I took it back to my b&m, and Isy (uptownisy) as always, took care of me and swapped it for a new one.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same issue? I've never had that happen before with any cigar.

I'm too lazy to find it but there was a thread awhile back about this exact issue. Do a search and you'll find this is a common problem unfortunately. Uptown is a hell of a B&M to have locally, Isy and crew are top notch.

I'm too lazy to find it but there was a thread awhile back about this exact issue. Do a search and you'll find this is a common problem unfortunately. Uptown is a hell of a B&M to have locally, Isy and crew are top notch.
Thanks. I never even thought about searching for it. My bad. Unfortunate that it's a common problem. I was so excited to try it, cause I've read good things about Tatuaje's and I was quite disappointed to say the least. Nevermind the $16 price tag. Thanks NY state!

Yeah, Isy, Dennis and the rest of the Uptown crew are the best. It's why I'm there every Tuesday. My only regret is that I can't go more often.

Thanks. I never even thought about searching for it. My bad. Unfortunate that it's a common problem. I was so excited to try it, cause I've read good things about Tatuaje's and I was quite disappointed to say the least. Nevermind the $16 price tag. Thanks NY state!

Yeah, Isy, Dennis and the rest of the Uptown crew are the best. It's why I'm there every Tuesday. My only regret is that I can't go more often.

There are many of us who say that. I would go to my local B & M everyday if I could!

As for the cracking, remember these things are hand made,,,, by humans
once in a while you are going to get a bad one.
Good thing you do business with a guy like Issy.

I went to a B&M today in Orange County and picked up an Olivia V Maddie. Lit it up at the cash register and walked out the door. As I was getting to my car the thing just started to unravel all the way down the side. I simply walked back in the store and showed the guy and he said to go get another one.

I wonder if these things are shipping on the dry side? One would think that because these tubos don't have the little hole punched in the top that you see on some other tubos, that if they were in fact on the dry side the inability of moisture to enter the tube would be a problem. Once I get my shelves in sometime within the next week and a half, I am pulling all of my Blacks and Reds out of the tubes.:(

As for the cracking, remember these things are hand made,,,, by humans
once in a while you are going to get a bad one.

Oh drunk Matt, there is a whole thread about 11 pages worth of BOTLs on here complaining of chronic wrapper issues with this release.

Joemisery, it is not foreign, the problem you encountered. The mention of this issue starts here: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/61141-tatuaje-black-tubos/page__view__findpost__p__931757

Enjoy!

Low RH in New Engalnd will destroy most sticks in Winter months if your smoking outside...

Contact your B&M first, and if they don't take care of you contact Tatuaje direct. I had problems with a couple of Blacks and was well taken care of. Though it was made very clear that the company would rather have you deal with the original B&M that you purchased them from. Let us know how you make out.

Sorry about that Joe....This has been an ongoing problem and I've already had to replace several reds AND blacks for several people. Once they're done here, they're done.

I would recommend running water over the cigar's wrapper 10 minutes or so before smoking. Just hold it under your tap for a second, don't douse it. Sounds strange (if you've never heard of it before), but it's actually a widely accepted method of keeping your wrappers from cracking, especially during the cold and dry winter months. I've done it many times myself. It doesn't affect the taste or the burn (if done properly).

Look it up, there's plenty of CP discussion on the method.

I would recommend running water over the cigar's wrapper 10 minutes or so before smoking. Just hold it under your tap for a second, don't douse it. Sounds strange (if you've never heard of it before), but it's actually a widely accepted method of keeping your wrappers from cracking, especially during the cold and dry winter months. I've done it many times myself. It doesn't affect the taste or the burn (if done properly).

I was just talking about this over the weekend at my local shop. The guys who work there were looking at me like I had two heads.

Mick:

This is funny, I remember when I first joined CP reading a post from a former highly respected FOG saying to do this. People thanked him profusely for his ultimate wisdom. I responded that I sometimes dunk my cigar in wine or cognac before smoking it and was soundly reminded how silly of a NEWB I was as this would most certainly result in a soggy cigar!

Sorry about that Joe....This has been an ongoing problem and I've already had to replace several reds AND blacks for several people. Once they're done here, they're done.
Thanks Isy, but you aren't the one who needs to apologize my friend. You stepped up and took care of the situation, and I appreciate that. Customer service like that is gonna keep me from going to a "real" cigar shop...like JR. LOL! See ya Saturday.

Thanks Isy, but you aren't the one who needs to apologize my friend. You stepped up and took care of the situation, and I appreciate that. Customer service like that is gonna keep me from going to a "real" cigar shop...like JR. LOL! See ya Saturday.

Thanks brother. Much appreciated. See you saturday, if not before.

I have had the same problem with the reds and the blacks. I can't beleive what a flop these turned out to be. One of the B&M's i go to said that after the first batch he can't give them away.

I enjoyed the reds more then the blacks. I haven't had either since the end of December, they've been resting comfortabley. I really enjoy Petes new releases as of lately it's just concern with craftsmanship and "paint gate" with the Dracs and some of the Tubos.

I enjoyed the reds more then the blacks. I haven't had either since the end of December, they've been resting comfortabley. I really enjoy Petes new releases as of lately it's just concern with craftsmanship and "paint gate" with the Dracs and some of the Tubos.

Many of the Tatuaje wrappers are thin and fragile. Nothing to do with craftmanship. Unless you're referring to something else.

Many of the Tatuaje wrappers are thin and fragile. Nothing to do with craftmanship. Unless you're referring to something else.

An unfortunate nature of the beast with Pepin stuff. I have more busted wrappers on his cigars than all others combined I think.

The wrappers are thin and break often which is a shame. Mainly I was refering to the Drac release where they simplied smelled strongly of paint thinner as did a box of the red tubos I have. It just me in regards to those mentioned things. I still buy Tatuaje stuff all the time, just it seems his QC has gone down a tad.

Edit: I can't spell.