• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone here a bowhunter?

ELittle

Snowman Cage Inventor
So recently I got this urge to go hunting, so I'm thinking of getting a bow. Is there anyone here who bow hunts that has any advice or tips or anything that might be helpful?

The bow I want to get is a Hoyt Maxxis 35. I also have a shoulder injury which is making drawing it kind of weird, but I don't know if that will get better as I use it for a while or if it will always be that way. Right now I can only pull 56 pounds so I'd have to get a 60 pound max and I really wanted a 70 max.

I'm also considering getting a crossbow instead of the compound because of my shoulder but crossbows just seem like toys to me or like I'm cheating or something. I can get a note from my doctor about my shoulder for fish and game which would allow me to hunt with special archery tags enabling me to use my crossbow during regular seasons also which is pretty cool.

Anyone with experience have any thoughts?

I love hunting with a bow. The fact that a bow's effective range is so small really puts a lot of emphasis on the ability of the hunter to get close to the game.

As far as draw weight goes, you need to take into consideration what kind of game you'll be hunting. My first deer was taken with an old compound bow that pulled about 45 lbs. That being said, I wouldn't have been chasing any grizzlies with it.
tongue.gif
Also, there are other ways of making arrows fly fast, if that's what you want. You can use carbon arrows instead of aluminum, or use an overdraw. However, a lighter arrow won't have the penetration capabilities of a heavier arrow.

I don't really know anyone that uses a crossbow for hunting, so I can't speak for that. Although I can understand their usefulness for those that aren't able to draw back a bow, I don't understand why anyone else would want to use them... too similar to a gun for me.

To each his own, but if I were you, I would stop by the local archery shop and see what kind of used bows they have. Used bows are all that I've ever shot, and I've never had more than a few hundred bucks invested. My bow doesn't have the latest technology, but, hey, I don't know the difference! Besides, my bow can sling an arrow through my target just like a $1500 one can. You could buy used to experiment, and could always upgrade in the future.

-Edited to take out full quote of last post-

Hoyt makes a good product, and so does Matthew's and PSE.

You should be fine with the draw weight you mentioned, but a little bit of light workouts on that shoulder might make that 70 pound draw easier to reach.

Try to find a bow with at least 85% let off. This should also make holding the bow at full draw a lot easier on the shoulder as well.

As far as rest go, I prefer the Whisker Biscut. It will keep your arrows from falling of the rest. Nothing is more aggravating than trying to quietly draw on a deer to only have the arrow fall off the rest.

When it comes to sights, stabilizers, dampners, and releases, etc. just pick out what you like best. It's not always the case of more expensive is better.

I bought a crossbow a few years back when they made it legal in Virginia. Used it once and felt the same way as you. Cabelas was kind enough to take it back and give me a credit which I used to buy a commercial meat grinder. :)

My grandpa on one side of my family uses a crossbow with a red-dot scope cause he's disabled. My grandpa on the other side of my family uses an old compound bow without sights. He just started using the compound a couple years ago, he was using a recurve before that.

Is anybody else here scared at the idea of E having a bow? Or E going out into the woods to hunt?!?! :0

Is anybody else here scared at the idea of E having a bow? Or E going out into the woods to hunt?!?! :0

No, but I did have a chuckle to myself picturing his ass trying to climb up in a tree stand.

Heh, me in a tree stand... not gonna happen. LOL

I've been thinking about that also, I'm not a light person and would max out most tree stands on the weight capacity, so I'm going to have to shoot from the ground.

I've been doing some reading and apparently if you sit on the ground on a camo stool or something with lots of brush/cover behind/around you it works very well.

I saw an awesome swivel stool that sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket, but then I would have to lug a friggin bucket around with me everywhere. :D

I've been doing some reading and apparently if you sit on the ground on a camo stool or something with lots of brush/cover behind/around you it works very well.

Whew! Again, I guess it depends on what you're hunting, but over here in whitetail country, drawing a bow on a deer is extremely difficult when you're down at their eye level. I would strongly recommend one of the square/rectangle-shaped pop-up blinds. In addition to hiding most of your movement, you can also stay dry on those rainy days...

Whew! Again, I guess it depends on what you're hunting, but over here in whitetail country, drawing a bow on a deer is extremely difficult when you're down at their eye level. I would strongly recommend one of the square/rectangle-shaped pop-up blinds. In addition to hiding most of your movement, you can also stay dry on those rainy days...

Keeps biting insects out,cuts down on your scent, and as said keeps you dry. The one I have folds down to a small back pack that weighs about four pounds and has shoot through screen windows.

Drawbacks are they cut down on your views and can get hot inside on early season bow days, but definitely increases your odds of bagging a deer.

It was cool being able to take my young son (who could not sit still) hunting inside and take a buck at 25 yards with him watching.

Bowhunting is awesome!!! I am just getting back into it this year after taking a break from bows for a few. I had a recurve bow made for me by bob lee bows and can't wait to harvest a deer with it this year.
I wouldn't worry at all about the 56lb draw weight for whitetail. It will do the job just fine. And the maxxis is abdomen bow. I want to pick up one of the maxxis 31 bone collector editions early next year.
Some people prefer to hunt from the ground. Some from. A tree. Summit makes treestands that have weight capacities for us bigger fellas. Me I am a ground hunter. Have hunted stands plenty of times over the years, but all but one deer that I have harvested were from the ground. The challenge of being eye level with your prey just makes the hunt more interesting IMO. It tests your abilities and makes the hunt more challenging. Last year was my first stand kill and it was quite uneventful. I sat there for about an hour till 8 does came out and waited till the largest one presented a shot and then it was over. 8 sets of eyes that were never aware of anything off. No challenge of hiding my movements to get in position. Helped to fill the freezer, but was not as much of a hunt as from the ground.
I bought a nice pop up blind one year and sat in it twice. Seemed like hunting from a cabin or something. I disliked it more than a treestand.
If I am going to sit and hunt a spot I just like to find a good tree trunk and sit at it. No branches or makeshift blind material. Just a good ole tree trunk is all you need.
Simce your bowhunting i would also suggest a good grunt call. The flextime buck collector that came out last year is my new favorite right now. the flextone rut hunter has some great tones too.
B

I've been thinking about that also, I'm not a light person and would max out most tree stands on the weight capacity, so I'm going to have to shoot from the ground.

I saw an awesome swivel stool that sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket, but then I would have to lug a friggin bucket around with me everywhere. :D

Man, the thought of stuff like this alone is outstanding. I may fly out west just to go along with E the first time he goes hunting just so I can witness what kind of giant cluster-eff this turns out to be.

Man, the thought of stuff like this alone is outstanding. I may fly out west just to go along with E the first time he goes hunting just so I can witness what kind of giant cluster-eff this turns out to be.

Tom, if you come out to see this, I'll even drive up and join you. And we shall videotape it. And laugh.

Tom, if you come out to see this, I'll even drive up and join you. And we shall videotape it. And laugh.

X2

What is you budget?

I have hunted w/ bow for about 30 years. Taught 4-H shooting sports years ago too.

Been hunting from a blind for the past three years since the kids can come in. Put one kid on one side, the other one watching the other way, turn the heater on and I can then take my nap in my executive office chair lol!

Blinds can be very effective bowhunting depending on terrain. I have taken all my archery deer from a blind over the years with a bow. Even have a stabilizer mounted blind that I killed a buck with on the ground.

My current compound bow is 60-70# Golden Eagle. Used to do outdoor shoots, etc. I have hunted with for 23 years along with a long bow. My next will be 50-60# compound though. The accuracy will be there for me as I age and 35 # is the legal minimum here in Indiana. 50# is plenty for whitetail.

Most brands will work and you don't have to spend much. Right now there is a Mission bow promo contest (Made by Mathews). Shoot a Mission bow at the dealer and get a hat and an entry towards a ATV contest.

You don't mention your price range:
There are over a dozen Bow brands to consider:
Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, Jennings, Bear, Athens, Mission (nice price/quality ratio) Bowtec, Diamond, etc. All are good brands depending on what you are looking for.

The main market is Mathews, Hoyt, Mission, PSE, Athens (new market challenger), Bowsite. Find a decent dealer and practice every day after someone helps you get set up.

If you can not hit a paper plate consistently at 35 yards I would not hunt. BTW, Don't shoot deer farther than 20 yards away. 35 can be ethically done but only after you have shot for a while. Most of the time you will be 15-20 yards anyway.

It isn't a gun. If you want to shoot farther don't shoot a bow.

People hunt in CA? ???

Come out here E and you can shoot antelope, mulies, and elk off my front porch. Walk up the road a bit and you can get a black bear too.

X2

You guys just blew your invite to E's venison cookout. :0

I don't bow hunt but do gun hunt for deer. I would recommend the ground blind for sure to cover any movement as well as to help with scent control. I have been using an Ameristep pop-up blind for years and routinely have had deer walk within 20 yards of me many times without spooking.

Just did a bow course, 14 targets, this Saturday. One of my friend was switching with me as I never shot before. I'm hooked. So now he let me borrow an old bow and I'm dropping it off today to get tuned and add a few things to it. Plan on shooting every weekend with the guys as a few of them have taught & done competitions. Need to check the laws here in NJ and see if I can bow hunt this Fall. Have my shotgun & muzzle license but I might need to take a state bow course before I can go.

DG

What is you budget?

I have hunted w/ bow for about 30 years. Taught 4-H shooting sports years ago too.

Been hunting from a blind for the past three years since the kids can come in. Put one kid on one side, the other one watching the other way, turn the heater on and I can then take my nap in my executive office chair lol!

Blinds can be very effective bowhunting depending on terrain. I have taken all my archery deer from a blind over the years with a bow. Even have a stabilizer mounted blind that I killed a buck with on the ground.

My current compound bow is 60-70# Golden Eagle. Used to do outdoor shoots, etc. I have hunted with for 23 years along with a long bow. My next will be 50-60# compound though. The accuracy will be there for me as I age and 35 # is the legal minimum here in Indiana. 50# is plenty for whitetail.

Most brands will work and you don't have to spend much. Right now there is a Mission bow promo contest (Made by Mathews). Shoot a Mission bow at the dealer and get a hat and an entry towards a ATV contest.

You don't mention your price range:
There are over a dozen Bow brands to consider:
Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, Jennings, Bear, Athens, Mission (nice price/quality ratio) Bowtec, Diamond, etc. All are good brands depending on what you are looking for.

The main market is Mathews, Hoyt, Mission, PSE, Athens (new market challenger), Bowsite. Find a decent dealer and practice every day after someone helps you get set up.

If you can not hit a paper plate consistently at 35 yards I would not hunt. BTW, Don't shoot deer farther than 20 yards away. 35 can be ethically done but only after you have shot for a while. Most of the time you will be 15-20 yards anyway.

It isn't a gun. If you want to shoot farther don't shoot a bow.
I'm not worried about a budget, I'm more worried about making sure I will use the thing once I get it.

And for all you nay saying buttholes like souldog and tom I will send you pictures of me eating delicious venison while giving you the finger. :D

Gunpowder is right on the money, I have been bowhunting for 9 years now..... I have a Bowtec.... if you are uncertain as to whether you will like the sport, definitely don't go overboard with your gear. Getting into a Mission might be the right gear for you. It still gives you good feet per second (fps) but without spending a ton.