• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone into Drones?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I've been checking out some drone video's on youtube, there's some pretty cool stuff out there. Just curious if anyone has a drone?

I have a cheapie with a simple camera on it. No live video. Looking to get a real rig, but the budget isn't there, yet.

I haven't jumped on board yet. I have noticed several in trees, in the neighborhood.

We got one last year and it's pretty cool. My son has done some videos to his phone but hasn't posted them anywhere.

The only reason I'm interested is that many of these drones have built in features making it really hard to crash or lose. For instance, one feature is Return to Home - if it goes too far away and loses signal to the remote control, it automatically flies back and lands exactly where it took off from. With the 4k camera, you can capture some cool photos and video.

The DJI seems to be one of the leaders, though also rather expensive. Autel Robotics seems to be the best fit for quality, features and value. I also just learned about FPV drones. You put on goggles and then you fly as if you're in the drone. Really cool, it's like VR.

There is some pretty amazing stuff on the market now. A couple years ago I built one from scratch, just to learn everything I could about them, plus I like to doing that sort of thing. Mine has tons of electronics and camera capabilities, but I have never fully explored all of it. It's a very deep rabbit hole to go down. I just don't have time. The turn key systems coming out now are pretty amazing, expensive too.

The only reason I'm interested is that many of these drones have built in features making it really hard to crash or lose. For instance, one feature is Return to Home - if it goes too far away and loses signal to the remote control, it automatically flies back and lands exactly where it took off from. With the 4k camera, you can capture some cool photos and video.

The DJI seems to be one of the leaders, though also rather expensive. Autel Robotics seems to be the best fit for quality, features and value. I also just learned about FPV drones. You put on goggles and then you fly as if you're in the drone. Really cool, it's like VR.

But how do they shrink you down to drone size to fit in the vehicle? :D

Drone operators can make a pretty penny privatizing their services with 4k cameras and such.

Drone operators can make a pretty penny privatizing their services with 4k cameras and such.

thinking-emoticon.png

Have any of you watched the drone races?
Frigging amazing speeds and dexterity.

Yeah, but good luck dealing with all the new federal government rules, regulation, and permitting.

You use that as a legitimizer for charging higher prices to your clients. "I am registered and certified to fly drones in all local airspace blah blah blah"

Always use gov regs to your advantage and pass the buck. ;)

My wife got me one for Christmas last year -- it was a ball until the FAA stepped in with over regulation in the apparent name of public safety. Since I live within 5 miles of a small general aviation airport, I'm not legally allowed to fly it in my backyard an inch off the ground unless I first coordinate with the airport. I would have just completely ignored the ridiculous drone regulations, but doing so puts my pilot certificate at risk for real airplanes.

I've been looking at getting a DJI Phantom 4 Pro for my home inspection business. There are some roofs I don't care to walk and this, although more of a toy, would impress the client as everyone appreciates technology. The other aspect I thought about was that I already know several real estate agents ;)..... Then to see if there is a market supplement my wife's income with her doing photography and videos for realtor marketing. There are so many manor houses, and historical properties on the Potomac/Chesapeake bay in my area, seems like a good move. If not, I will have a useful tool and a cool toy to play with that I can justify as a business expense.

Some of the bundle kits out there seem to have added value when you consider what piecing together individual items like extra batteries and hard cases.

Anyone see better values than here? .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...387966?hash=item43fa7e44be:g:onMAAOSwImRYSEVG

My wife got me one for Christmas last year -- it was a ball until the FAA stepped in with over regulation in the apparent name of public safety. Since I live within 5 miles of a small general aviation airport, I'm not legally allowed to fly it in my backyard an inch off the ground unless I first coordinate with the airport. I would have just completely ignored the ridiculous drone regulations, but doing so puts my pilot certificate at risk for real airplanes.

That's the only thing holding me back at the moment.... Trying to figure out all of the FAA regs in my area, registry crap, and what it means with my business.....