• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone Like Foie Gras?

Ginseng

Banned
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with foie gras? When my parents came back from Europe the were raving about the stuff. It's been some time since they've been back but they still speak fondly of it and now I'd like to get them some to enjoy.

Wilkey

It's getting much harder to get, as most animal rights folk find the process used to make it beyond the ordinary level of cruel for livestock. In order to get the liver properly stuffed, the goose is force fed, basically to death. So, many restaurant chains, supermarkets, and I believe even some local governments, have opted to either not carry or ban the practice of making foie gras.

On the other hand, yes, I've had it, and it's pretty good. Just don't think about what they did to the duck to make it. :(

EDITED because I wrote "good" instead of "goose"

kevpriest said:
It's getting much harder to get, as most animal rights folk find the process used to make it beyond the ordinary level of cruel for livestock. In order to get the liver properly stuffed, the good is force fed, basically to death. So, many restaurant chains, supermarkets, and I believe even some local governments, have opted to either not carry or ban the practice of making foie gras.

On the other hand, yes, I've had it, and it's pretty good. Just don't think about what they did to the duck to make it. :(
[snapback]289686[/snapback]​

Yep - What he said. I have had it and it is pretty good. The only place in Charlotte that I knew of that had it closed a couple of years ago and I have not had it since.

Here's a link on the process. It's biased, as it's from a group that clearly is trying to convince you what a horrible process it is, but it's pretty brutal.

I generally discount a lot of the animal rights stuff, as I kind of enjoy being on top of the food chain (nothing like a good steak!). But, every once in awhile something like this will catch my attention and make me think twice.

All animal rights issues aside, it doesn't get much better than good foie gras. When I lived in the Minneapolis area there was a great little place called the New French Cafe downtown and they had the best foie gras! All I needed was a nice Bordeaux and a slice of their foi gras!

If you enjoy very rich food this stuff rocks.
I can't stand liver of any sort but foie gras is delicious.
It matches extremely well with sweet things - honey, berry sauce or something of the like.
It is pretty darn expensive so as a treat once in a while I will have some with a good glass of red wine. Be prepared to mop up the remaining sauce on the plate with some bread!
I like it seared the best but it is ok in a pate.
-Rob

I love foie gras. The foie gras paté in the can is not as good as the whole piece.
Sooooo good.

Thanks for the replies. I knew how this stuff was made...even saw a program on some French families that have been doing this for generations. I guess at the cottage industry level, it doesn't seem so cruel. Now a chicken factory, that's cruel. But that said, I still eat chicken.

I'll poke around and see what I can find. I wouldn't buy it for myself, but for my parents...well, when they were young, they ate bark and bugs during the war, so I figure I can give them something nice.

Wilkey

Ignoring the cruelty in the manufacturing process where the animal (goose or duck) is force fed with a funnel, which results in it having a liver many times the size intended. It is delicious.

What get's me pissed about websites that talk about animal cruelty... is that if it weren't for the farming (poultry, cattle, pork, etc.) industry, most food animals would be extinct at this time. Can you imagine the amount of cows left after all this time of eating them without the cattle industry?? Not many...

-Fetter

fetterjohn said:
What get's me pissed about websites that talk about animal cruelty... is that if it weren't for the farming (poultry, cattle, pork, etc.) industry, most food animals would be extinct at this time. Can you imagine the amount of cows left after all this time of eating them without the cattle industry?? Not many...

-Fetter
[snapback]289706[/snapback]​

eg. Buffalo

LeCirque in MYC has a foie gras tourine that is the single most delicious thing I have ever eaten.
Next on the list is a seared sliced foie gras with a fig and balsamic reduction served at a place called Neath's in Providence, RI. Neath's is not really expensive (upper level for Providence, but that's not saying much), and the rest of the food is good, perhaps bordering on great, but this one particular appetizer is simply outstanding.

Thanks a lot, now my mouth is watering.

I woke up this morning thinking about foie gras and here's a post asking about it? maybe it's a sign. Foie gras can be absolutely delicious. There's an incredible Japanese Sushi joint in Encino (the '818') called Katsuya. They make a seared scallop foie gras topped with a couple asparagus shoots that is really decadent. If rich food is your thing then go for it!

As far as animal rights activists go... I really don't listen to them because I don't like being bothered while I eat. :D

Oh man! I love a good foie gras, especially paired with a Sauternes ... a classic wine and food pairing. We're going to a wine event in Santa Barbara next month where we do a dinner with friends from our wine board. Since one of our members is a huge Sauternes collector he always brings someting special to pair with the foie gras course :p

:cool:

bfreebern said:
Ya bunch of Foo Foo guys!
[snapback]289844[/snapback]​

Just because you won't be eating at a restaurant like normal folk for a couple of years don't be calling names :laugh:

:cool:

yep, big fan myself. A local organic market carries the stuff fresh. Kinda pricey though. I have a great chix liver pate recipe if anyone is intersted. A whold pound home made cost less than a bite of foie gras.